Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing canned tuna

Posted by
anne
(annepv@rocketmail.com) on
Wed, Aug 8, 01 at 15:54

Thanks for all the tips about the price book, I've got it worked out now.
Here's my new question:
I have recently discovered the joys of albacore tuna vs regular tuna in a tuna salad. I probably wouldn't notice it so much in a casserole but in a tuna salad, wow, big difference!
Unfortunately, albacore tuna is ALOT more expensive than regular. BUT I just went to my local Costco and they have these humongous cans of Albacore tuna (66.5 oz!!!). If I buy in bulk like that, the price per unit is the same as for the regular tuna.
My problem is - what on earth do I do with that much tuna? I would like to make some salad and then a few casseroles (not too many casseroles on my list as I try to limit pasta and rice). Mainly, I would like to know if tuna freezes? Once I have opened this huge can, how can I store the remaining tuna until I want to use it.
BTW, I really appreciate this site. I'm a single working woman, no kids, and I don't know much about cooking but I'm game to learn! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing canned tuna

Cooked meats, chicken, and turkey freezes well. I would assume that canned tuna would be fine. Why don't you check it out by freezing some? Sounds like a fine idea to prevent wastage and save a little money at the same time. I'd do it!

o

Mixed reports on the success of freezing it though. One chef says "Canned fish that has been frozen breaks down and becomes flabby and limp when thawed" but there's a lady on the Cooking forum who does it.
So I'll just have to check it out for myself. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

o

Found this info on the Starkist Tuna site. Hope it helps.

http://www.starkist.com/food/servingtips/freezing.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing tuna

o

Just a suggestion for all that extra tuna. Tuna is an excellent healthy optional ingredient for almost any tomato based recipe, expecially pasta sauces and tomato base veggie soups. Since the tuna is already cooked and frozen, I'd add it in the last ten minutes to heat thru, but avoid long cooking.

Also try this version of tuna salad. I know this will sound very strange, but it is low fat and delicious if you like bananas. Take a good look at island cuisines that often combine fruit and fish....

Curried Tuna Salad

Mix in a bowl:
1 Tbsp mayonaise
Curry powder to taste
Optional: garlic powder,dried onion flakes to taste

Mash:
ripe bananas (spotted, not black) into seasoned mayonaise mixture, until well mixed and smooth

Add:
Drained Tuna

Delicious stuffed into chilled tomatoes for summer

Most tuna salad recipes brighten considerably with the addition of a little dill.

o

W,
Thanks for the recipe! What are the measurements for the bananas and the tuna?

TIA,
Holly in WI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here