Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to wrap/store frozen breakfast sandwiches in

Posted by Michelle_MO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 01 at 14:50

I'm pretty sure it was someone here who mentioned that they make homemade "egg mcmuffins" and freeze them. I decided to try making a dozen this weekend - what a great idea! Didn't take too long, quick breakfast, and will save me a ton of $$ not stopping at McDonald's on impulse. However, I wrapped mine in waxed paper and then put 1/2 doz. each in gallon-size ziplocs. I tried to make sure the cheese was all on the sandwich, not hanging over the edge, but when I reheat them, they're a little bit soggy and the cheese really comes out all over the paper. Is there a better way? Or should I unwrap before reheating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to wrap/store frozen breakfast sandwiches in

Hi Michelle,

How do you make the McMuffin sandwiches?

o

I just made myself a little assembly line:

- a dozen english muffins sliced open
- cooked the bacon in the oven (I do it on a stoneware jelly-roll pan 15 min at 450) broke each slice in half and used 1- 1 1/2 slices per sandwich. I like bacon, but you could use ham or sausage patties instead
- 1 slice of cheese per sandwich
- fried a dozen eggs on a non-stick griddle (less grease than the fast-food version)

DH doesn't eat breakfast, so making a dozen of these in about 1/2 hour is over 2 weeks worth of breakfast for me!

o

Solution to the sogginess and oozing cheese:

I unwrapped the sandwich out of the waxed paper, wrapped loosely in a paper towel instead. heat 1 min 45 sec on high in my microwave and it's perfect! Cheese didn't ooze out as badly and it wasn't soggy at all. I think the waxed paper might have had ice crystals in it from when I first froze the sandwich and that's why it got soggy.

o

I have done this for years and the best way is to wrap them in paper towels and tape it shut ....then store in a gallon ziplock bag, reheat in the paper towel. It is not soggy at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here