Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Great Salsa Recipe???

Posted by try_hard_inNY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 01 at 14:32

Hi everyone. Does anybody have a great recipe for Salsa? I am a huge salsa fan butndon't know how to make it. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Great Salsa Recipe???

Hi,
Here's what I do: try to find Mrs. Wages Salsa Tomato Mix at the grocery:buy canned or fresh roma tomatoes( 1/2 grocery bag or 4 cans.If you use canned, crush them up, fresh, scald and remove skins, then crush. Put in large kettle, remove some of the extra liquid, then heat with one chopped onion, halopena peppers ( 1-2) and the salsa mix. Bring to boil, and stir a couple of times( otherwise it gets to soupy), let it simmer 10 minutes, then put in jars. Makes about 8 1/2 pints. I process in canner 20 minutes or so, have never had a bad jar. You can also freeze in containers. The mix comes in mild and hot, which is really hot! very easy and tastes like the real thing.Let jars go for 24 hours if possible before eating.I have a problem keeping my jars , as friends like to take it home.

o

Here's a great recipe for pico de gallo.
4 sm. jalapenos, diced
1 can 4 oz diced green chilis
3 lg tomatoes, diced
1/4 c. black olives, diced
1/8 c. onion, diced
1/4 c. green bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix the jalepenos, chilis, tomatoes, olives, onion and bell pepper in large mixing bowl. Add the salt and garlic powder. Place mixture in bright decorative serving bowl and refrigerate 1 hour.

o

I use the Mrs. Wages mix also, but add a can or so of drained rinsed black beans and frozen corn. It is oh so easy to make.

o
RE: Help: Where can I find Mrs. wages Salsa Mix

What stores stock Mrs. Wages Salsa mix?? I've checked several chains stores in our area and none seem to have any.

KW

o

I use freah tomatoes skined and chopped onions chopped 4 different peppers chopped make sure you use some jalapinos--Itianian seasoning --salt pepper and cilantro--for 6 qt of tomatoes I will use 2 very large onions 2 large of 4 different peppers--cilantro is to your taste but I use 2-3 TLB--then I add 2 12 oz cans tomato paste to thicken--I have canned 100 pints of this this year Ive made hot and mild---

o

Pico de gallo is always the best salsa but it must be made fresh. My emergency salsas are based either on canned peeled tomatoes or El Pato tomato sauce. To the tomatoes I add chopped seeded jalapenos (or your choice of fresh chili), chopped onion & cilantro, Pulse in the blender to your desired consistency. To the El Pato sauce I just add chopped onion and cilantro, Tabasco if you want it hotter. There are so many, many excellent salsas available why spend all your time roasting peppers and tomatoes? Unless, of course, you are canning your own which should be another thread.

o

Hi..I make mine by cutting up in small pieces tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and what ever else you might like in yours. I put in some lemon juice, cilantro and salt and lots of pepper. If I want it to be a hot salsa I add crushed peppers (find in spice section)...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here