Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me salvage my chicken?

Posted by jbspook (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 01 at 13:15

Help! My first attempt at OAWC was a disaster! I had 6 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I baked 3 different ways, then froze to bring in to the office for lunches. They all came out horribly dry and I can't seem to choke them down.

Is there any way to salvage them? Put them in a crockpot recipe perhaps? I don't usually cook chicken as I'm the only one that likes it, so any chicken recipes you can come up with to help my situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me salvage my chicken?

If dryness is your problem, I'd try to do something that will "juice" them up. Cut into cubes and make chicken salad (mayo, celery, a little dill seasoning). Or soak cubed chicken in a vinaigrette dressing as a sort of cold marinate and then use it on a bed of greens for a salad. You could cut into cubes or strips and add salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes to make a wrap sandwich.

My mom's "mystery chicken" casserole is a favorite of mine for using up leftover chicken:

16 oz. bag of pepperidge farm stuffing mix
16 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of water
cooked, leftover chicken

Optional: 1c. of broccoli, chopped spinach or peas.

Layer chicken, then veggies, then stuffing in greased 13x9 pan. Mix sour cream, soup, water in small bowl, then pour over the layers. Bake 350 approx. 30 min or until heated through. (a little longer if using frozen, unthawed veggies)

o
RE: Can you help me salvage my chicken?

I believe this recipe is from the Cookbook Hall of Fame cookbook. I found it on another board I look at.

AMISH CHICKEN CASSEROLE

8 oz. noodles (your favorite size)
cup margarine
1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 small can (about 3 oz) mushrooms
2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
2 tsp. salt (or slightly less to taste)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt margarine, then whisk in flour until smooth.

Gradually add milk and broth (separately or can be mixed); then stir in seasonings and mushrooms.

Combine chicken, cooked noodles and prepared sauce.

Put in ungreased 9x13" baking pan and top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes.

This can be made ahead and heated when needed but will take slightly longer to heat completely through.

Optional: You can add whatever vegetables your family especially likes.

Note: I used 3-4 cups of chicken and added peas and carrots to make it go further. I also had some shredded cheddar cheese that I sprinkled on top. It is really good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here