Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing pasta in make ahead lasagna, etc.

Posted by MOgardener (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 02 at 11:58

I have tried to freeze partially and fully cooked pasta with less than satisfactory results. I saw a recipe recently that called for using uncooked lasagna noodles in the layers of meat, sauce and cheese. Supposedly when baked, the pasta cooked adequately and absorbed excess moisture from the dish.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you like the results? Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing pasta in make ahead lasagna, etc.

I never cook pasta for lasagna whether freezing or cooking immediately. Just make sure to put a little sauce in the bottom of the pan (under the pasta) and cover tightly to bake. I use the regular lasagna (not the more expensive no-boil) and it always come out perfect! I also don't boil macaroni for casseroles...just cover & bake until tender.

o

I use the ronzoni no-bake pasta for our lasagna. Comes out great. However, I always freeze already cooked lasagna (leftovers), thaw, and reheat.

BTW, here the traditional family recipe we use. I also have a recipe for gravy (sauce) and meatballs if anyone would like it.

Sue

LASAGNA

Either roll home-made lasagna sheets, use the no-boil lasagna from the store, or boil up a bunch of lasagna noodles and use those.

Filling:
4 to 5 pounds of ricotta (fresh is awesome and sooo creamy)
4 Eggs (you may only need 3)
1.5 C. grated Romano (Locatelli is best) or Parmesan-Reggiano
1/2 C. Chopped fresh parsley (or 1/4 C dried)
12 oz + 1 Cup Mozzarella - grated

-Batch of small meatballs (use your favorite meatball recipe, just make them tiny (1/2")

- 4 to 5 C. Gravy (sauce)

Mix ricotta, 3 eggs, grated Romano (or Parmesan), parsley, and 12 oz grated mozzarella. If mixture looks dry, add the 4th egg. It shouldn't be runny, but should be very thick.
Fold in meatballs.
Boil and drain the lasagna noodles (if using)
In high-sided baking pan spoon in a cup of sauce and spread over bottom of pan.
Add one layer of pasta.
Spoon some sauce and spread to cover pasta.
Add half of the ricotta/meatball mixture.
Spoon some sauce to cover lightly.
Layer another layer of pasta.
Spoon sauce over to cover lightly.
Spread remaining ricotta mixture.
Cover with last layer of pasta.
Spoon on some sauce.
Cover with foil (make venting holes in top).
Bake in oven @ 350 for 50 minutes.
Check if its done by inserting a knife in the middle. If it comes out piping hot, it's done.
Remove foil, sprinkle 1 Cup of mozzarella over top.
Bake uncovered for 10 minutes more.
Let sit for 15 minutes before cutting otherwise it will ooze all over the place.

o

Thank you both for your comments.

Both the mozzarella and ricotta cheeses were homemade from our own goats' milk.

Now how about a recipe for your sauce?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here