Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easy burrito recipe

Posted by rosieclown (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 01 at 9:54

does anyone have an easy burrito recipe to share? I love these and buy so many???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easy burrito recipe

I make them different ways but basically either use the following:
cooked ground beef, shredded chicken or refried beans
or half meat and half beans I have also mashed up a tin of baked beans to substitue and it worked good. If just using meat season with some chili powder, salt, pepper and a spoon of bouillon is great too. Use big tortilla shells and add about a 1/2 cup of the meat/bean mixture on the middle half of the shell, then layer a fistful of lettuce, tomato, onion, cheddar cheese. You can cook the onion with the meat too if you like. Fold over filling, sides in then roll over. Heat in the oven for about 15 min on 350, you can also microwave them, freeze them or use a little oil on the outside and make them a little crsipy while cooking.

o

I like this one (makes about 8-12 depending on the size of tortilla you use and how full you stuff 'em!)

1 lb ground beef, ground turkey, or cubed chicken
1 package taco seasoning mix or burrito seasoning mix
1 can refried beans
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Flour tortillas

optional
sliced green onions
sour cream
salsa/taco sauce

Brown beef and use taco seasoning as directed on package. Mix refried beans in a small bowl with about 1 Tbsp of salsa (helps to make the beans a little easier to spread) and heat in microwave approx. 1 min 30 sec - just enough to make them easy to stir and spread. Heat tortillas one at a time on hot griddle (or use oven or microwave directions on tortilla package if you prefer). Spread each tortilla with beans, top with seasoned meat, cheese, sour cream, onions and salsa. Fold in 2 sides about 1" and roll up. Freeze on baking sheet until firm, then store in ziploc freezer bags.

o

Hi, I brown one pound of ground beef, add a jar of store bought salsa, one can of frioles, and melt in a sliced up pound of jack cheese. Makes about a dozen large burritos. Haven't had a complaint yet.

o

Stop...you're making me hungry!! I have a questions though with the frozen burritos. Do you thaw them out first before you re-heat them or do you just put them in the microwave? Also, how long do you cook them after they have been frozen? Sorry for all the questions, but these sound like they'd make great lunch ideas to take to work.
Sue

o

I usually take mine to work frozen then by lunch it is partially thawed if not fully then only have to heat it for about 2 minutes in the micro.

o

Thanks, Bugs. I'll be making some of these this weekend!
Sue

o

I love bean burritos and I like them highly seasoned I have used cannned beans but really like them better when using home cooked dried beans. I saute onion and garlic and then add the beans and mash........when they are nice and smooth I add lots of cumin and grated cheese........soooooooo good.

o

Gosh, you can make burros out of just about anything you like. Here's a family favorite. Egg and potato burros.
4 mediup potatoes cut into small cubes.
1/2 onion chopped
Minced garlic to taste
Saute the above in oil until potatoes are lightly browned and cooked through.
Crack 4-6 eggs over the top and scramble them in.
Spoon this filling into flour tortilla.
Add a strip of cheddar cheese.
Add a pinch of chopped cooked bacon, ham, or sausage if desired.
Roll up your buritto. Brown lightly in oil. Cool. Freeze.
I've kept these for up to two months,(but only because they got lost in the freezer).I usually use within a month.
Thaw in your lunch bag or microwave. Heat and serve.

o

I remember there used to be a burrito sold at our county fairs in California that had if I remember correctly, hamburger and green chili peppers (probably Ortega chili's).
Anyone have an idea what this recipe might be. It was delicious.

o

I shred leftover chicken, mix with whatever leftover veggies I have, a drained can of diced tomatoes and Ortega burrito seasoning, and cook them on the George Foreman grill. I gives it a crunchy outside (kinda like a chimichanga, except it's not fried). The grill is also really good for breakfast burritos.

Nicole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here