Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezer space

Posted by HeidiHoHum (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 3:33

Hi all!

I would LOVE to try OAWC but the refrigerator in our current house has a teeny tiny freezer and I am lucky to have room for ice, some frozen veggies, and the few other regularly used items that must remain frozen.

Aside from purchasing a 2nd freezer, can anyone give any suggestions as to how I would attempt this without the necessary freezer space? I am thinking it just might not be possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezer space

Are Dumb Questions allowed? (know I am about embarrass myself.) What is OAWC??

o

Not a dumb question! OAWC means Once A Week Cooking which means you plan and cook all your meals for the entire week on one day, then freeze each day's meal until the day arrives when you planned on eating it. No cooking hassle...just defrost and warm and eat:)

It would be great for people like me who never plan ahead and end up scrambling for something decent to feed my family each night!

o

Wish I could help, but can't think of a solution to your problem! Unless you have a magic wand and magical powers!
Perhaps you could scout around (like on E-bay) for a used small, apartment size freezer for cheap. Newspaper classifieds is another place to look. Even though you don't want to spend a lot of money...check around at the regular appliance places, anyway. Just to see what's available, for limited space.

Considering the convenience that it would be for you, perhaps is is best to spend a little money on a small freezer. In time, it would certainly pay for itself. There are also "under the counter" freezers.

o

Maybe you could try stacking your frozen items differently in your small freezer space. I've read where some freeze the meals and then stack them sideways. Just a thought.

o

one way to conserve space is to freeze everything in plastic bags...flatten them as flat as possible and stack them on top of each other...My suggestion would be to buy a small freezer...if money is a problem try a used one...small ones are cheap...

o

My huge upright freezer is in a lovely storage facility while we live in Germany for a couple years (military family). I am pretty sure my DH will not go along with buying even a used freezer since we can't take it with us when we leave (different voltage).

I will try the bag thing and just try to become really organized. There just isn't much space after adding frozen veggies and ice! If I could just fit in a few meals, it would be great!

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here