Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations on new freezer

Posted by Mistyme (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 02 at 17:50

Our Frigidaire freezer may soon need to be replaced. The replacement has to be an upright. Sub-zero looks inviting but is soooo expensive. What experience have you had and what freezer would you recommend? It has to be reliable, which our Frigidaire is not. Only 3 yrs old and repaired 3 times. We need something trouble-free. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations on new freezer

I think I have a Kenmore. (It was given to me so I can't remember exactly.) It's probably about 7 years old. Kenmores are made by another major major manufacter, but Sears puts the Kenmore label on them.

The feature I like about the freezer is that it isn't self defrosting. The freezer in my refrigerator is and I hate it. I've lost a lot of food because of the freezing and thawing.

o

Having just purchased a chest freezer in the last few months, I would have to recommend a chest freezer. When you open the door they don't spill all their heat, and from what I've seen _none_ of them are self-defrosting. The uprights tend to self defrost, but chests don't. Mine has something called a "flash defrost" where, when you tell it to, it runs hot liquid through the refrigerator coils, and you open a drain in the bottom to let the water out. Of course, you've taken your food out of it first...

I've heard good things about it, in a couple months I'll know for myself. We haven't had to defrost yet.

o

We gave away our appartment sized chest freezer after 32 years. We gave it to a friends mother who lived in the country. That was 7 years ago and she is still using it! Based on our experience we would have to buy another Kenmore....even though we don't know who's making the Kenmore now or then! Maybe their requirements are high...

o

A little late on this, but....
Service technician for Sears told me that Kenmore's actual maker depends on the model. Most of their higher end models (but not all) were Amanas in the past. Unfortunately, Amana was bought by Maytag in the last couple of years and Maytag made many changes. per this person, "Maytag doens't know squat about cooling systems." We considered selling ours when we moved since it was almost as expensive to move it as to buy another. We have an Amana made by Amana. Tech told us "Better hold on to it. It's solid."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here