Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezer marinades for Chicken? plus recipe

Posted by Jamie_MT (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 01 at 17:33

I got industrious last night and decided to cook Honey-Lemon chicken for dinner (recipe below), and marinate the rest of the pack (I buy frozen packs of chicken breasts) for the freezer. I made three marinades:

Orange marinade (frozen OJ concentrate, soy sauce, garlic and olive oil)

Lemon marinade (lemon juice, olive oil and parsley)

Barbeque marinade (BBQ sauce, worchester sauce, mustard)

So what are your favorite freezer marinades for chicken? I'm always looking for something new and exciting (and oddly enough, I don't see that many marinades in my cookbooks).

Honey-Lemon Chicken

4 chicken breasts (marinated in lemon marinade above or plain)
1/3 - 1/2 cup lemon juice
Water
Parsley
garlic
2-3 tbsp. Honey
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. flour mixed with a small amount of milk or sour cream until smooth
Hot cooked rice or egg noodles

In a covered skillet, cook chicken in lemon juice, parsley, garlic and enough water to almost cover. When chicken is almost done, add Honey and mustard, simmer until done. Remove chicken. Add flour mixture to hot sauce, simmer on low heat until it's the consistancy of a glaze. Serve over chicken and rice or pasta.

You can also mix sauce ingredients together, put uncooked chicken over uncooked rice in a deep baking dish, pour sauce (with enough extra water for the rice) over the whole thing, cover and bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours in the oven. The sauce sinks into the rice and is *soooo* good...I do that with orange chicken too. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezer marinades for Chicken? plus recipe

Sounds so good. I have to try your recipe. I often just use bottled dressings for marinades. We particularly like Italian. I add garlic to everything.

o
RE: Freezer marinades for Chicken? plus recipe

Let me know what you think Ruthie...I just sort of came up with it while throwing things together (isn't that always the way?). Honestly, I was kind of suprised it tasted so good the first time...generally my "experiments" need a couple tries to be palatable. LOL You might need to play around with the amounts a bit...

I can't use the bottled marinades - they have too much salt/spices in them, and whatever I make has to be healthy enough for the dogs too (which is good, 'cause it's healthier and cheaper to make stuff from scratch). :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here