Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing bread

Posted by thomasb_2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 17:09

Recently, I have been having a problem with store-bought bread having soggy edges after thawing. Until now, I haven't had any problems at all. What can I do? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing bread

Try and leave as little air in the bag as possible. The soggy edges usually comes from moisture build up in the bag. When you take it out of the freezer I open the bag and let it sit a bit and even take the bread out and shake the bag out to dry it out. As the ice crystals thaw, they'll soak into the bread and give you the soggy edges.

Some like to wrap the bread in a paper towel but I don't find it necessary using this procedure.

o

I always wrap each bread slice individually with paper towel before defrosting it in the microwave. And I use the highest setting in the MW, and I put the bread at the edges of the carousel so it gets the full strength of the MW. Since all MWs differ, you need to experiment with the amount of time to defrost. The paper towels are not wasted because you can always use them for something else.

But if you remember to do it a couple of hours in advance, it's always best to defrost bread at room temp.

o

I've found that if I defrost the bread in the refrigerator, it doesn't get soggy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here