Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 lbs. of Velveeta Cheese! What to do?

Posted by
Jane in CT
(mamabirdx5@netzero.net) on
Mon, Jul 23, 01 at 16:13

What do I do? I was given 30 lbs. of Velveeta Cheese in 3lb blocks. Can I FREEZE Velveeta Cheese? If so would it be better to freeze it in the packages it comes in or can I split it into 1 lb. packages? TIA for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 lbs. of Velveeta Cheese! What to do?

Donate some of it to a food bank. That is what I would do. If it is still in its original vacuum packed packages, it does not need refrigeration. It NEVER dies. If you notice on grocery store shelves it is with the Parmesan and unrefrigerated cheese products.

o

Maggie G, I really wanted to keep it not donate it to the Food Bank. Do you think I can freeze this or should I just keep it in the bottom of my fridge?

o

LOL!! You must really like Velveeta ... I've never tried to freeze it, but as I said, if it is still in its original wrapper, you don't even have to refrigerate it. You might try freezing one block of it, and see if it works. Also, there should be a toll free number on the package someplace, you could call the Velveeta people and ask them.

It will keep literally forever in the fridge. A friend of mine had a Velveeta loving brother stay with her for several years. After he left, 3 years later she found a block of Velveeta in the back of the compartment where she stored garden seeds. It had an expiration date on it 5 years before. It looked and smelled OK, but she figured 5 years after the expiration date was too long to try using it, so she tossed it. Now she calls Velveeta "The Cheese that Cannot Die."

o

LOL, funny story, MaggieG! Not that I especially love Velveeta, but when a good deal hits you in the face you take it when you need to prepare meals for 7 big eaters daily! I'll look to see if there is a phone #. I figure that the cheese will be used before half a year passes.

o

Try this....alot of info.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraft Foods.....Velveeta

o

I was at the grocery store today, and looked at a package of Velveeta. It says "avoid freezing."

o

LOL, duh, you'd think I'd take the time to read the packaging, lol! I had the kids put it away for me and never got back to it, is that a good enough excuse? I guess I won't freeze it but just keep it in the fridge. Thanks MaggieG you're a sweetie!

o

no need to freeze....just put it in the fridge until you get ready to use it.

o

Wow, you lucky thing, such a deal! Let me share with you the BEST recipe for Queso - I double it for our small group from church, and there are NEVER any leftovers. (Okay, once I made it for a smaller party and left what little remained with some friends - the husband finished it off for breakfast the next morning.) I make this at least once a month. NOTE: It's the mushroom soup and the sausage that set this apart from the usual Rotel Dip.

AWESOME QUESO

1 lb. Velveeta, cubed
1 lb. tube Owen's Breakfast sausage
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Brown sausage and drain. Combine remaining ingredients and microwave, stirring periodically, until melted and smooth. Stir in sausage. Keep warm in crock pot on Low. Serve with tortilla chips.

o

While you can't freeze the Velveeta, you can freeze these appetizers made with it:

PARTY CANAPES
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. sweet italian sausage, casings removed
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 to 1 1/2 loaves party rye bread

Brown meats (crumbling up sausage as it cooks). Drain grease. Return to pan and add cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring, until cheese is melted and mixed. Mix in seasonings. Spread on rye bread. Freeze, When ready to serve, bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

o

Mmmm, thanks I can't wait to try these!

o

My husband is the biggest Velveeta nut and is soooo jealous of you. I cannot keep Velveeta in the house. He uses it for EVERYTHING!! Grilled cheese, mac and cheese, sandwiches, dips and just plain. I cannot buy it fast enough so I really wouldn't know how long it will last, I can say I have never seen it mold.

o

It never will mold. Never. Check my first post, you will see it lasts for years.

It is not even real cheese. Look at the box, it says something about Pasteurized cheese food product. It has a similar relationship to cheese as Spam is to real meat. :-6 There are some things I don't mind Velveeta in (like fudge), but generally it has kind of a "plastic" taste. I'm not much of a cheese eater in general, so my opinion may be biased, LOL!!

o

We mix it with a can of chili and use fritos scoops to dip with it. We also fry potatoes and put them in a baking dish add some cooked crumbled sausage or bacon top with the velveeta and bake in the oven, or make macaroni and cheese with it and add a can of stewed tomatoes mixed in with it.My whole family loves the fried potato recipe. I hate to make it because we have to fry so many pounds of potatoes to feed everyone.
Jane

o

Here's a recipe that's a favorite of my 30 year old son.
Cauliflower cheese soup.
Break the flowerettes from a head of cauliflower and steam in a little water until almost tender. Toss in three slices of bacon (fried and crumbled)or a couple slices of ham chopped small.
Add milk usually about a cup and a half and continue cooking until the cauliflower is tender.
Break up the flowerettes into small peices.
Then add about a cup of velveta cheese cubed.
Salt and pepper to taste. It's done when the cheese melts. We like this with ham and tomato sandwhiches on rye toast.

o

Make a loaf kind of thing with pilsbury dough and fillings. Pizza or crescents untorn work well. Spread out one roll, put sliced of velveta all over it and stuff with anything you want, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, salami, hamburger, onion, chili, or a combination of things. Then top with another roll and seal the edges.

o

Velveeta in FUDGE?!??? You're kidding, right?

o

It has a very long shelf life so don't bother putting
it into the fridge until you open a package.

Here's my favorite way to eat broccoli

Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 pkg. frozen broccoli flowerettes
2-15oz. cans of chicken broth
8-12 oz. Velveeta, cubed

Cook broccoli in chicken broth until very tender.
Turn off heat. Use hand held blender to puree the
soup, it will be very thick.Turn off the heat,
add cubed Velveeta, stirring until smooth.
It's probably salty enough, so taste and then add
black pepper. Enjoy.

o

Here is the recipe I buy Velveeta for:

Cheese Broccoli Soup

1 qt. water
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I have sub. cream of potato, celery, brocc/cheese etc.)
2 1/2 c. cubed potatoes
1 pkg. frozen broccoli (that is how the recipe reads-I usually use a 16-20oz. bag rather than a 10(?) oz. box)

Cook the above together until veggies are tender. Add 1 pound Velveeta, cubed, and continue cooking until cheese is melted. Soup sticks easily after adding cheese.

This is a very forgiving recipe-throw in California mix veggies instead of just broccoli, add more onion, celery, potato if you like them. My DH dilutes with extra water when he takes it hunting then leaves it in the crockpot so they come back to warm soup waiting for them. The guys all love it so I have to make this every year.

HTH!

o

No, Margo, they're not kidding. Here is the recipe. I had some once. It is not too bad, but I will take real fudge over it any day.

Velveeta Cheese Fudge

1 lb. margarine
4 lbs. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 c. cocoa
1 c. chopped nuts

Melt cheese and margarine in saucepan over low heat, stirring almost constantly. Sift sugar and cocoa together, stir into cheese butter mixture. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Spread in buttered pans, cool, cut into squares and store in tightly covered tin or container. This is an excellent fudge for the holidays and makes a huge batch, however, the recipe may be successfully cut down to half.

o

Lucky you!!!!!!! One can never have too much cheese!!!!!! As others have said, it just doesn't go bad but I would feel safer keeping it refrigerated. Broccoli cheese soup and Potato cheese soup will use a lot of the cheese and any casserole will benefit from a good layer of cheese. The recipe for the fudge sounds interesting too. Happy eating.
Charlotte

o

Wow, surprising to see this coming back up! Great ideas everyone, thanks! We still have a couple of blocks left. I can't believe that I posted this in July and I still have cheese left.

I first stated that I had 30 lbs. I noticed after using 1 block that they were 2 lb blocks not 3 lbs. as I first thought. Oh well, that means that we are using 20 lbs. not 30, still quite a substancial amount of cheese. I think that we have about 4 lbs. left! :)

o

My DH loves this recipe. I'll admit it's good, but super fattening!

1 block of Velveeta Cheese, 1 lb ground hamburger (browned & drained), 1 jar (16oz) salsa. Mix together in a deep skillet. Makes the most wonderful hearty dip. Can also add other veggies (corn, peppers) or rice to make it thicker. Good for Football/Superbowl parties!

o

20 lbs. of Velveeta Cheese was the actual amount of cheese I had. They were in 2 lb block (I thought they were 3 lb blocks originally).

Yesterday we actually finished the last block of cheese. Took 8 months to go through it and none if it spoiled. Wish I could find 20 lbs. at the rock bottom price I paid 8 months ago.

Thank you to all who posted their favorite recipies!

o

Congrats!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here