Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you freeze bread?

Posted by Laura_AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 9:40

We just had a cookout and had a ton of buns left over. Before I resorted to passing them out to all the neighbors, I thought I'd ask the experts...would you freeze them? And how?

Thanks,
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you freeze bread?

I have always just tossed bread in the freezer in its wrapper.

o

Laura -
I buy all my bread, buns etc. cheap at the bakery outlet and just throw them into the freezer in their store wrappers. No special attention and I've always found them to be fresh and soft when unthawed.

Tami in Michigan

o

If you have a ton of bread left, you will lengthen the time you can freeze it if it's sort of vacuum sealed. Unless you have a sealer, just freeze on a cookie sheet until solid then place in freezer bags. Seal the bag with a straw in the zipper and suck out the air. I'm really not kidding. When the bag is air free, you never get freezer burn.

Even when I'm not vacuum sealing, I always loose freeze on a cookie sheet first. That way you can remove 1 or 10 rolls - whatever you want - because they're not stuck together.

o

My husband works for a major bread company & I work for him. Sometimes he forgets to bring home any bread or buns; other times I have lots to freeze. I just stick everything in the freezer as is. I have noticed that sometimes when I allow it to thaw before using it, it's as fresh as when I put it in the freezer but other times it's hard on top. I think buns & wheat bread do better than white bread.

o

If you wrap it in foil that will keep the bread from losing moisture and keep it fresh longer.
Even plastic bags allow moisture loss....particularly supermarket bread bags. That's why your bread is sometimes hard on the top.
Linda C

o

I bake bread a couple of times a week, 3 or 4 loaves at a time. When the bread has cooled I wrap it in papertowels and then place it in freezer bags. I find that the papertowels absorb any moisture and the bread doesn't get damp when it is defrosted.

Ann.

o

I freeze bread regularly. Double used bread bags, suck all the extra air out, in the deep freeze........for homemade bread. The store bought stuff is just thrown in as it comes from the store. It will last a month or better with no freezer burn. When you thaw it, it'll be fine. Try it.

o

White rolls dry pretty fast in the freezer. I wiould vacuum or wrap in foil to keep them moist. Always freeze before trying to vacuum seal or you'll flatten fresh bread too much. My DH brings home bags of SF sourdough when he goes to SF and it works best if I wrap in foil before freezing. I put them in the oven with foil on to thaw and reheat and it comes out as if it was just baked. I now freeze all my sliced bread immediately and only take out what I can use in a couple of days and I never have to throw out moldy bread any more. It thaws so fast you don't have to take it out until just before you need it if all of a sudden you need a whole loaf.

o

I use some that has been there awhile for bread crumbs.

o

Thank you, Thank you ladies. Freezing buns & some loaves of store bought bread has been a delima for me. The tops are dry even though I double wrap them without air. Never thought of tin foil as a first wrap! I am going to try all of your tips, because I am tired of throwing out bread & buns. Audrey

o

I use gallon size Zoplock freezer bags.

o

Here's a tip someone told me and it works. What ever side is on the bottom in the freezer put it on top when you are thawing. If you lay the bread bottom side down in the freezer when you get it out let it thaw with the bottom side up.

o

I wrap (homemade) loaves of bread tightly with plastic wrap, then wrap in foil. This tight-fitting wrap prevents ice crystals from forming (the famous sticky bottom of a thawed loaf of bread) as well as freezer burn - which is caused by evaporation of moisture in the bread because it's in a loose-fiting plastic bag - which causes the ice crystals.

Air-tight is always the trick to better freezing. Never leave things loose in a plastic bag - that's an invitation to freezer burn.

I also make all our burger and hot dog buns, and they are best wrapped individually in pop-up foil (I get boxes of it at Sam's). Once again, if you use a close-fitting, air-tight wrap, it will prevent freezer burn. You can't place a whole bag of commercial hamburger buns loosely in the bag you purchase them in, in the freezer and not expect anything else but a formation of ice crystals and freezer burn.

Grainlady

o

I also find defrosting baked items in the fridge overnight instead of on the counter helps with the texture.

o

I have been following Ann T.'s advice above." When the bread has cooled I wrap it in papertowels and then place it in freezer bags. I find that the papertowels absorb any moisture and the bread doesn't get damp when it is defrosted." It really works well.

I made homemade bread a couple of weeks ago and froze it this way. I then put it in the fridge to defrost, keeping the papertowels on it while still in the plastic bag. It's been lasting longer than when I took the paper towels off once defrosted.

o

Laura: Wrapping the bread in alluminum foil or paper towels,
Like Linda c and Ann T suggested is good.The only thing is; as someone else said, don't take the bread out until it is defrosted, or it will collect humidity as on a cold glass of ice water in the summer. Sometimes this is helpful if the bread has dried a little. You can throw it in the oven for 5 nmunutes to freshen it. When I freeze Pizza
I will take it out and leave it sit a few minutes, dampen all the areas that are cooked more,even the topping and put it in a toaster oven. Another thing : a lot of bags (not freezer bags)have
small holes punched in them;that you can't see, so that a small child can't suffocate. Twist the end closed and squeeze it . It will deflate if there are any tiny holes.
LOU

o

I wrapped my bagels in paper towels and then put them in a bag and sucked all the air out of the bag with the Food Saver. When I took one out and let it defrost, the darn paper towel stuck to the bagel! It was awful. What went wrong here?

o

Shaun, I freeze my bagels the way you described but I don't use the Food Saver. I've used a straw to suck the air out of the outer bag. I also make sure the bagels are not warm when I've prepared them for the freezer. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

o

I'm making mini loaves of Zucchini, Pumpkin and Banana breads for Christmas gifts. How should I wrap these to put in the freezer. I have about 600 (yes, that's 600!) loaves to make, so I need to start now. Help!

o

jam is nice jam is nice with toast good nite bread toffe is good 2 but i likw coffe see ya and i woud like to say thank you to my friends who help me get here thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

o

I have started saving alot of money with the couponing latley and when I typed in " How to freeze bread" this is the first blog to come up. VERY helpful...Thank you to everyone who had answered Lauras question! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here