Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bread Maker Recipes?

Posted by
Mary
(MaryB2790@AOL.com) on
Wed, Jun 6, 01 at 21:53

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, and think it's really great. I was just wondering in anyone had some really good recipes for a bread maker. I've tried some from my book, but they aren't quite as good as I thought they'd be.

Thank you!
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Bread Maker Recipes

Besides using my crockpot my second favorite helper in my kitchen is my bread machine. They both help keep my kitchen cool in the summer. Here is one of our favorites. We use it often and I also make it in the dough cycle to roll out for pizza dough or dinner rolls.

White Bread
(Place all ingredients in bread machine in order given.)
water 1 cup
margarine or butter 3 tbs.
egg 1
sugar 2 tbs.
salt 1 1/2 tsp.
flour 3 1/2 cups (spread out with a knife to cover the liquid)
nonfat dry milk 1/3 cup
yeast 2 tsp.

Use the basic cycle of your machine.
On Sundays, I prepare a stew or roast in the crockpot, set up the bread machine, and also prepare the coffee maker so all I have to do is turn on the coffee maker when we get back from church. When we get home from church the house smells great and the rush is alleviated.

Don't be afraid to check the progress of your dough about 5 minutes into its cycle. If the dough seems too sticky add a tablespoon or two of flour or if its too dry add a tablespoon or two of water and check again. Don't be afraid to reset the cycle to the beginning if you have made several adjustments. Sometime the humidity in the air affects the texture of your dough. Bon appetit!

o
Another Bread Recipe

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Use the Raisin, Sweet or Basic cycle on your machine.

Water 1 1/4 cups
Margarine or butter 2 Tbs.
Sugar 2 1/2 Tbs.
Salt 1 tsp.
Flour 3 1/2 cups
Yeast 2 tsp.

At beep or at rest period after the first kneading add:
1 cup raisins
Cinnamon 1 Tbs.

Another favorite. Mmm, mmm.

o
RE: Bread Maker Recipes?

One of our favorite bread recipes was given to me by a friend. This is the only one I make now.

Quick Potato Bread

1 1/3 cup water
3 Tbl. butter or margarine
2 Tbl. + 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup instant potato flakes
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp. yeast

Use the basic cycle on light crust. Place ingredients in bread maker according to instructions.
This makes the best toast with home made jelly. What a way to start the day. Enjoy!

o

o

And give this one a try:

Note: if you go to 'baker of the month' and check the previous month's winners, the November recipe is mine!

Here is a link that might be useful: SAF Yeast

o

I love whole-grain bread--but light ones, not brick-hard ones. The best thing we ever did for the quality of our whole grain breads was getting a grain mill. We buy whole grain wheat berries (cheap!) and just toss them in the mill. In about 15 seconds we have fresh, nutrition-packed flour, that is so much moister and lighter than anything you can buy. I used to always add about 50% white flour to all of my whole-grain recipes, because they were too dense, but now I add just a little, or none, and I love the results.

Grain mills vary a lot in the quality of flour they produce (how fine the flour will be ground), and time it takes to grind it. I have a Whisper Mill, which I highly recommend. The link below talks about the nutritional benefit of grinding your own grain, and compares several grain mills.

Here is a link that might be useful: About grinding your own grain

o

Sunshine Amy,
I been thinking of getting a grain mill for awhile, but wonder: Where do you purchase your wheat? Are you able to get it locally or do you order it (and if so, from where?)? I know it would be more nutritious and tasty, but I want to make sure I have a good source of grain before purchasing a mill. Thanks! Valerie

o

This is nothing fancy and even though there are little ingredients but makes an excellent white bread. I like it because it leaves out the extras and it doesnt stick either.
Put in pan in order given
1 cup plus 1T warm water
3 cups flour, tap sides of pan to settle
1 t salt
make shallow well in center and add 1 T yeast
I usually bake rapid or regular on medium

o

none of these bread recipes give the loaf size

o

FALL SWEET POTATO BREAD

INGREDIENTS FOR = 1 & 1/2 LB LOAF

3/4 CUP = WATER
1/2 CUP = CHOPPED, PEELED SWEET POTATOES
4 TSP = BUTTER OR MARGARIN
3 CUPS = BREAD FLOUR ( OR ALL= PURPOSE )
3 TBS = NONFAT DRY MILK ( POWDER )
1 TBS = BROWN SUGAR
3/4 TSP = SALT
1 & 1/4 TSP = ACTIVE DRY YEAST ( OR RAPID RISE )

COMBINE = ALL DRY INGREDIENTS " EXCEPT YEAST " AND SET ASIDE.

IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN COMBINE WATER, AND SWEET POTATO,
BRING TO A BOIL & REDUCE HEAT, COVER AND SIMMER
ABOUT 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL TENDER." DO NOT DRAIN ! "
MASH POTATOES IN WATER, (WITH FORK)
MEASURE POTATO MIXTURE, AND ADD ENOUGH WATER TO MAKE 1 & 1/4 CUPS MIXTURE.
COOL SLIGHTLY TO 120 DEGREE.

IN BREAD MACHINE PUT IN SWEET POTATO MIXTURE.
THEN DRY INGREDIENTS " EXCEPT YEAST " ON TOP OF LIQUID, ( DON'T MIX )

IN CENTER OF DRY MIXTURE MAKE A SMALL INDENTATION, AND PUT YEAST IN IT.

IN ALL FOUR CORNERS PUT A PAT OF BUTTER.

ALWAYS PUT LIQUID IN MACHINE FIRST.

SET ON BASIC, ( OR BASIC RAPID ) & MEDIUM COLOR.
PER SERVING: 72 CAL, 14 G CARB, 0 CHOLESTEROL,
1 G TOTAL FAT, ( 0 G SATURATED ) 81 MG SODIUM.

VERY GOOD TOASTED OR WARM.

o

Janice, I was thinking the same thing...are these two pound size or one pound........and I will testify to the whisper ill. I love mine. I've had it for years...love love love the smell of freshly ground flour. It's amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here