Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow Cooker(Crockpot) Help

Posted by Juliann (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 01 at 19:23

I have recently bought a slow cooker thought it would make cooking a whole lot easier, and it does, but the problem is that my husband doesn't like anything FANCY. He also doesn't like ham or Roast beef. So I am wondering if any of you can share some SIMPLE family favorite with me.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow Cooker(Crockpot) Help

Hi Juliann,
I have a husband like that too, but he enjoys my cooking. I like to make cube steak( tenderized at the store), put in crock pot with sliced onion, can of cream of mushroom soup( no water added) and a 1/2 can of beef broth. Let it cook about 5 hrs.We like it over mashed potatoes, or rice, or noodles.

You could also cook off chicken in the crockpot, with some celery, and water, and make chicken and biscuits. Very easy, and deffinitely not fancy.

o

Juliann,
For me, its a lot easier in the winter. Soups, stews, they're all easy and delicious when simmered for a long time. You could do spaghetti sauce. I've even seen a recipe for crockpot lasagna. You can also do chicken in a simple sauce.

o

I think this time of the year is perfect for the crock pot cause it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven or range......

o

Thanks for the replies, Sallyab I will definately try the recipe you gave me that sounds wonderful.
Mzdee could you maybe share some of your fovorite soup and stew recipes, I also agree that now is a good time to use the crock pot because my kitchen doesn't heat up then.
Well tonight I made cabbage soup with groud beef in it that we will eat tomorrow for lunch....let's hope my husband likes that.

o

I recently "Barbequed" my chicken in the crockpot. All I did was put the chicken pieces in the crockpot and pour the Barbeque Sauce straight from the jar over the pieces and turned on the crockpot. Voila! Yum, yum!

o
More Crockpot Input

Yes, I too love that it helps keep the kitchen cooler during the summer months. I also like to bake my potatoes in the crockpot. I make enough for dinner and also extras that I put in the fridge for the next day to make potatoe salad with. To bake the potatoes just wash carefully, leave the skins on, wipe excess water off but leave pototes dampened. Place in crockpot and cook. No need to prick and no need for foil.

o

I'd love to bake potatoes that way! How long do you leave them in? (High/low, etc?)

Also, if you have a meat, and a sauce or liquid you're pretty much good to go with a crockpot. Similar to the BBQ chicken idea, I've done chicken with tomato sauce, onions, peppers and cumin served over rice, chicken with spaghetti sauce served with pasta, and one of our favorites is to put a whole chicken (skin removed) in with about half a can of Swanson's Roasted Garlic broth. Comes out delicious and falling off the bone. I use the rest of the can to make flavored rice or mashed potatoes. Very elegant but easy.

o
baked potatoes link

I learned how to bake the potatoes right here from the wonderful people in this message board. I've included the link below. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baked potatoes in the crockpot

o

Jane I was just wondering if you or anyone else knew if that recipe for barbeque chicken in the crockpot could be frozen or not. As well how long and temp do I put it in the crockpot for

o

Juliann,
I haven't tried freezing the barbequed chicken because we eat it all up each time I make it :) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Depending on when I need my meal is how I choose Low or High power to cook the chicken. I use Low for about 4-5 hours (like before going to church in the A.M. to have an early afternoon meal) or on High for 8-10 hours to cook all day while I am busy with the kiddos.

The crockpot is very forgiving just check it to see if it's done, if not continue cooking. If it is done earlier than you are it can stay there safely until you are ready.

As to how much barbeque sauce, just pour it on to coat the pieces you have, no need to measure.

o

Here is a very good easy corn recipe for the crockpot.

Charlie's Creamy Corn

20 oz. frozen corn
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
3 Tablespoons water
Salt and pepper to taste

Put in crockpot. Cook on low for 4 hours.
( I just put it all in the pot and wait until it is heated through and then stir to mix and finish heating. Hope your husband likes it)

o

I was at the library and checked out this book: "Fix-It and Forget-It", by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. Talk about reeeeeal recipes...this book is fantastic! It's only $13.95 and you better believe I'm buying a copy! =oD

o

Go into "search" and type in "Crock pot collection" and you'll find pages and pages of recipes. Just take your pick. There are some very excellent recipes here. Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here