Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gettin' the habit/heating up rice

Posted by Jamie_MT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 01 at 18:17

Okay, I've been doing batch cooking (2x per week) for the last three weeks, and this Sunday I did a whole week's worth of cooking - so I'm at one month! It is *totally* influencing my grocery list for July and nightly schedule...truely amazing how such a little thing can make such a big difference!

I only have one question for now though...how do you heat rice up in the oven without it getting "grainy"? It heats up beautifully in the microwave (I did it all the time at my parent's house), but I don't have a microwave, and last time I made a rice dish for the freezer and heated it up, the rice was kind of "grainy" in texture, if you know what I mean.

Any ideas? Or should I just add the uncooked rice when I put it in the oven after thawing? (It does cook rather well that way...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gettin' the habit/heating up rice

Well, it seems I've solved my own problem. Heated up another rice dish last night, but instead of using the glad "ovenware" dish I froze it in, I put it in an aluminum baking dish and made sure to cover it tightly with foil (can't use the ovenware covers in the oven). I also heated it at a higher temp - 400 instead of 350, and it came out tasting like I had just made it - nice texture and all.

Life is good once again. :-)

o
RE: Gettin' the habit/heating up rice

Good for you.....i was going to tell you to wrap it tightly in foil. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here