Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I freeze rice pudding?

Posted by
Jane in CT
(mamabirdx5@netzero.net) on
Sat, Jun 23, 01 at 14:49

I have a delicious recipe for rice pudding that I make in my crock pot. Not everyone likes it here in my home but it is a good alternative for breakfast. Is it safe to freeze it? I would like to do this then microwave individual servings? Has anyone tried this? TIA :~))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I freeze rice pudding?

Could I get that recipe off of you..I really enjoy rice pudding?

o

I have never tried it but my suggestion would be to just do it an see. It is my understanding that sometimes custard type things do not freeze very well but since it would serve your purpose to do it, I'd just give it a try and see.........

Share the recipe.......I love rice pudding....My Mother is in a nursing center now but she made killer rice pudding.

o
rice pudding recipe

Juliann and RuthieG,
Here is my favorite rice pudding recipe. I'll just have to try freezing a little to see if it works. It will be in the next few weeks but I'll post it here to let you know how it turned out. I always make extra rice when I cook rice for dinner either to make the rice pudding the next day or to make a stirfry with it in another meal during that week. One less step for another day. Enjoy the recipe!

Old-fashioned Rice Pudding (crockpot)
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
2/3 cup sugar
1 can (13 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)

1. Put rice and remaining ingredients into a bowl; mix thoroughly.
2. Pour mixture into a buttered electric cooker.
3. Cover and cook on High 1 to 2 hours; stir several times during first 30 minutes.

o

Thanks Jane.....I love rice pudding..

o

That sounds great. I love rice pudding but have always baked it and it's too hot to turn on the oven. I'll give this a try. Thanks

o

I love rice pudding too and my picky kids won't touch it!??? So I did try freezing it...once....it was pretty gross....very mushy and the texture was really wierd afterwards...the flavor was the same but it was watery and the rice was grainy and mushy. Maybe freezing it BEFORE it's cooked would work...just have to be sure it gets cold quickly for food safety reasons....and then just defrost overnight in the fridge and cook as usual the next day.

o

Thanks, Ruth!
For the heads up on freezing the rice pudding. I just came back from tag saling and got for $2.00 the little crockette! My kids also turn up their noses at rice pudding thats why I wanted to freeze it. I'll try to cut the recipe in half and use the little crockette instead!

o

So, Did anyone freeze it. how did it turn out?

o

~~Ruth did in her post above and now below~~

Posted by: ruth (mcguirer@bcc.orst.edu) on Fri, Jun 29, 01 at 20:09

I love rice pudding too and my picky kids won't touch it!??? So I did try freezing it...once....it was pretty gross....very mushy and the texture was really wierd afterwards...the flavor was the same but it was watery and the rice was grainy and mushy. Maybe freezing it BEFORE it's cooked would work...just have to be sure it gets cold quickly for food safety reasons....and then just defrost overnight in the fridge and cook as usual the next day.

Folks,
~~I've decided to freeze the rice plain after cooking in measured portions for the rice pudding and for meals. Now I'll make 2 lg. pots of rice, 1 white, 1 brown at the same time. And freeze when cooled. This has helped me in cutting done the prep time before starting the rice pudding in the crockpot. I sometimes cook the rice pudding on low for 4 to 5 hrs. instead of High.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here