Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having a baby and cooking ahead

Posted by
andrealbird
(mrs.bird@home.com) on
Tue, Jun 19, 01 at 14:32

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this whole once a month cooking thing and I'm really looking forward to all your great advice. I've read through the archives and I can't wait to get started. My husband and I are expecting our first baby in January and I'm really looking forward to getting meals cooked and frozen before the baby comes so that we can enjoy the baby and not have to worry about cooking!

Here's a few questions off the top of my head...

1. Can you freeze meals other than casseroles? What kinds of things can you freeze? I like casseroles, but I have a feeling I'll get sick of eating them everyday... I know DH will!

2. How long will things last frozen? If I cook and freeze starting in July will things still be good in January and beyond?

Thanks Friends!
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having a baby and cooking ahead

You can freeze lasagna, tetrazzini, side dishes, meats, pretty much anything you can think of.

Maybe this site will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Your Own Freezer Mixes

o

Do you want to freeze foods for u and hubby or make some baby food ahead of time and freeze that as well. Well you just had a baby relax, have a pizza or sub or order out or make hubby make meals. I know hubby has hard days but hell whos sucking on whos boob? C'mon he can make them let him help out abit. Other than that make spaghettisauce, lasgana, homemade tv dinners, or make hamburgers ahead and freese anything that works well for u and feel comfortable but i still feel hubby should help out even if it comes out of a box.

o

My wife has a web site about Italian cooking and she just included some information about freezing sauces. The idea is that you can prepare them in advance and then have them ready in the time that it takes to boil the pasta. The recipes are easy. Check it out at the link below if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze it first

o

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here