Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flour and sugar

Posted by RockingG474 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 02 at 14:05

I don't have alot of cupboard space but hate buying flour and sugar in small quantities since I use so much. Is there any reason I couldn't keep it in our chest freezer?
Thanks!

Tami in Michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flour and sugar

I've heard that you can freeze flour to prevent 'bugs' from getting into it. So I guess I would wrap it up if I wanted to freeze it a longer time. I don't know about the sugar.

o

I always put flour in the freezer. Don't know about sugar either but my Mom always used to buy lots of sugar and then store it in things like those decorative popcorn tins or a large airtight container. She'd hide it behind something out of the way as she didn't have the cupboard space either.

o

Years ago I read that it is more efficient to run your freezer when it is full. Soooo I used to keep just about everything in my freezer. Never had to worry about bugs in that expensive food. Also, I keep all nuts, coconut, dried fruit, etc. in the refrigerator - again it doesn't spoil. Good luck. Monica

o

I buy my flour when on sale as it is generally more expensive. I do freeze it but I have a vacuum sealer and I seal all the bags first (this works for bags of sugar too)

o

I always freeze flour, sugar, cake mixes, corn meal and anything like that as soon as I get them home from the store. I used to install fixturing in grocery stores and seeing the back rooms of grocery stores.... well, let's just say I freeze everything before it goes on my shelves! And as long as you have the room in your freezer, it's fine. In fact it's recommended that you freeze wheat flour to keep it from going rancid.

Ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here