Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any LEAN recipes?

Posted by Beatrice_z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 03 at 13:22

I see so many recipes here calling for things like a whole cup of mayonaise or a pound of bacon to go into a recipe that will feed just 6 or 8 people.

We aren't anti-fat freaks by any means. We use only butter, never margerine, keep plenty of EVOO for cooking and bread dipping, and generally don't worry about counting fat grams. But if I'm going to eat something really fatty, I want the fat to be something integral to the dish, like oxtail (heaven) or beef ribs or heavy duty ice cream.

So does anyone have any lean(er) recipes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any LEAN recipes?

Orange Salmon Steaks (Low Cal)
6 fresh salmon steaks, about 1" thick
1/8 t pepper
1 orange
1/2 t salt
1 T butter or margarine
Orange slices for garnish
Season steaks with salt and pepper. Blend juice of 1/2 orange with butter. Cut remaining 1/2 in thin slices. Brush steaks with 1/2 of the orange butter. Set them on a greased broiler pan, 3-4 inches from heat. Cook 5 minutes, until steak is brown. Turn, brush with remaining orange butter and broil 5 minutes more or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Garnish with orange slices. Serves 6.

Fruit & Shrimp Salad
Yield: 4 servings

2 c assorted fruits sliced: Strawberries, Oranges, Apples, Pears, Tangerine Sections, Grapefruit,
2 tb oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Juice of one lime
1 ts Kosher salt
1 ts Sugar, or to taste
1/4 c Cooked shrimp
2 tb Chopped toasted peanuts - optional

1. Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces. Toss apple or pear slices in a little citrus juice to keep them from oxidizing.
2. In a small skillet or saucepan, heat oil over low heat and gently fry shallot and garlic until lightly browned. Remove and drain on paper towels.
3. In a medium bowl, combine lime juice, salt, and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add fruits, shrimp, and half the garlic and shallot and toss to coat evenly with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to serving dish.
Variation: Use cooked and shredded chicken or pork in place of shrimp.

o

I just usually substitute the mayo with no fat mayo, the bacon with turkey bacon, low fat/no fat cream cheese or sour cream, etc.

o

While the salmon and shrimp recipes look tastey, are they really once-a-week cooking items (which is what this forum is about)?

Sorry Mo, I don't put fake anything on my plate - I'd rather do without. I choose a teaspoon of real butter over a tub of wannabe butter every day. I'll take a nice, lean REAL ham over pretend bacon. If I eat tofu, it is tofu as tofu, not tofu trying to be beef or something else.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic; I'm really curious. Aside from a good pot of beans, are there any lean, healthy make-ahead options?

B

o

Thought I'd pass these two along. Not exactly lean but relatively low fat. Both from Cooking Light magazine.

Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas
Cooking spray
1 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 c. shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1/2 lb.)
1 c. (4 oz) reduced fat sharp cheddar, divided
1 c. picante sauce
3 oz. Neufchatel, diced
1 t. cumin
1 1/2 c. bottled green taco sauce
8 6" flour tortillas

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and saute onions until soft.
Meanwhile, mix chicken, 1/2 c. cheddar, picante sauce and cream cheese.
Addto onions and cook over low heat until cheese begins to melt.
Spoon about 1/3 c. filling on each tortilla ands roll up.
Place enchiladas (seam side down) in a 9x13 baking dish. Drizzle with taco sauce and remaining cheese.
Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
300 calories per enchilada

(I simply use a large bottle of chunky salsa or make my own for both sauces. A handful of cilantro chopped in the filling gives you the same bright taste -- and you can throw in a few minced jalapeno's if you feel like it. I'm cooking (and freezing) for one, so I like to cut the enchildas in half and freeze them in small portions. They freeze and cook well; still working out the best way to microwave them right from the freezer.)

Spicy Mustard Chicken breasts
1/2 c. plain low-fat yogurt
2 T. spicy brown mustard
1/2 c. toasted wheatgerm
1/8 t. ground red pepper
1/2 t. salt
4 chicken breast halves

Combine yogurt and mustard in one shallow dish, wheatgerm and pepper in another. Salt both sides of the chicken.
Dip each breast in yogurt, then dredge in wheat germ. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

(I freeze these in little mini loaf pans, put a tin in the fridge in the morning, then right into the oven while I make something for a side.)

o

The best lean recipe I know of is poached fish, salmon, cod, whatever, and steamed vegetables. Add fat of your choice, i.e. tartar sauce, butter, olive oil. I think if you eat good fat you won't eat as much and your tummy and rear end will thankyou, you'll get satisfied with less food. Stay away from the manufactured stuff labeled low fat, your body just stores it because it's not natural. By the way, I love real mayo but a teaspoon goes a long way for flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here