Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sticky chicken recipe?

Posted by
Teresa
(TesiBme@aol.com) on
Mon, Jun 4, 01 at 6:27

Hi I am new here and love it, could someone pass the sticky chicken recipe on to me? Sounds great! Thanks!
Teresa:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sticky chicken recipe?

Hi Teresa,

Here's the recipe. Its wonderful. Cooked one on Sunday. My kids pick off this chicken after dinner like its finger food. And if I can get my kids to eat roast chicken, thats saying something :) Enjoy! P.S. It won't last long......
4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large roasting chicken, as big as you can find
1 cup chopped onion

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees for 5 hours (yes, 250 degrees for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.

o

Hi,

I'm new here too, this is my first night on, and wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for, but I have a recipe for sticky chicken wings. These are great for snacking and when company comes.

5 pounds of chicken wings
4 cups of sugar
2 cups of soy sauce
5 tablespoons garlic powder

Combine the sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Add the chicken wings and toss until covered. Put in the fridge and let them marinate overnight (24 hours if you can). Toss them occasionaly while they are marinating.

Bake in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes. Now, I use a disposable baking sheet because the marinade carmalizes. These are really yummy. Hope you enjoy them.

Mary

o
RE: sticky chicken recipe? MZDEE!

250 you mean Fahreneit or Celcius??

It looks like a good recipe.

Maria in Athens, Greece

o

Hi Maria,
Just popping in real quick!
Cook the chicken at 250 F. It is really yummy!
gotta get back to work!

o

Thanks Mo! How are you?

long time no see...

Maria

o

That first recipe that mzdee contributed looks intriguing! I'm going to take my chicken out of the freezer now and start marinating it tomorrow. (Gotta think ahead!)

The other recipe looks more like Teriyaki Chicken Wings which I also make but with less sugar (Splenda) and powdered Ginger and orange juice.

My grocer sells whole chickens for extremely cheap occaisionally. I have a crock pot recipe that calls for a whole chicken and amazingly, it turned out pretty good. I never put raw meat with the exception of beef roasts in there before. Even pork I browned. So live and learn.

I am going to try the sticky chicken marinated chicken recipe in the crock pot this week.

o

I rubbed my chicken last night with all the seasonings, let it sit overnight in the fridge inside of a gallon zip-lock bag. This morning I put it in the Crock-Pot on high and will post my impressions of it tomorrow!

o

My impression of the sticky chicken:

I think it is more of a spicy chicken (sticky makes me think of teriyaki).

Flavor was good, but I'll probably try it in the oven next time. Crock pots have a way of cooking meat right off the bone! Of course, I did this because I had no idea when someone would be there to turn it off. Better to leave a crock pot unattended than a stove! If it would have been overcooked in a stove it would have been dry. This way it stayed moist. What we ate we put on buns and enjoyed as pulled chicken. Very good!

o

Hi, everyone :) I make the sticky chicken recipe (the one posted first) about once a week. My family loves it and I have gotten MANY compliments on it from others who have tried it. Since I have 4 small children, I omit the cayenne pepper and add 1 teaspoon rosemary instead. The flavor of this chicken is amazing and it comes out incredibly moist and tender.

o

I plan on making this again soon, since my supermarket frequently sells whole frozen chickens for less than a dollar a pound. The great thing (I think) is that these chickens have the gizzards and neck removed!

Whatever you don't eat hot makes a great snack later when it's cold.

o

I have fixed the Sticky Chicken before in a crockpot, but like it much better fixed in the oven as the recipe says to do. Yummy!

Sue

o

We made this a few nights ago. This is a new favorite!
I only let it sit in the fridge for two hours, and next time I'll let it sit a whole day. I didn't put the onions on the inside, because I forgot till it was in the oven, so I dumped the onions on top instead. Also, because we were hungry and I didn't plan dinner in time, I baked it at 350 till the chicken was done.
Saturday, I plan to make it properly, but rest assured- even if you do it the quickie way, it will rock!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here