Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, All This Chicken!!!!

Posted by
Deb-NE
(debfb@uswest.net) on
Sun, May 27, 01 at 22:23

I told my dh to get some chicken out for tomorrow and we would cook some on the grill. I didn't tell him to get it all out. Now I have a whole cut up fryer out plus a pack of wings and a pack of thighs. I can't cook all of it on the grill, it's just going to be the two of us and maybe my dd. Help, I don't want it to go to waste. Thanks Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, All This Chicken!!!!

Sorry I missed your post yesterday. I checked the board a couple of times but not after you posted I guess. Hope you got the help you needed at the KT...

So let's make this another question now....

What would you all have done if you had all this chicken?

o

it's okay Ruthie I still could use a few suggestions, I put all of it in the fridge overnight and now I'm looking at it and still am baffled!!! I know we will cook some on the grill tonight, but I'm thinking of putting some in my crockpot and making soup or something. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks Deb

o

I would cook as much as I could on the grill and load the rest in the oven or the crock pot or even just boil it. It will be good to use in many casseroles and that sort of thing. It's nice to have precooked meat in the freezer to use on the spur of the moment.

o

Marinade the wings, cook them and them put them in the freezer as hot wings.
Cook thighs & rest of the chicken you cannot eat in the oven. After it's baked place in freezer bag. When used, place in crock pot with favorite BBQ sauce. It comes out so good!

o

Thighs cooked in the crockpot or boiled make wonderful chicken enchilada casseroles. Make the sauce with lowfat cream of chicken soup, shredded chicken, peppers and onions. Add other spices to make it as authentic as you dare. Layer on tortillas and bake. In the last 15 minutes or so, layer on cheese. Serve with sour cream and a side of rice and beans.

o

Boil it all up and divide it for several recipes. you could make a chicken and dressing casserole and freeze it before cooking( I use the disposable aluminum foil pans), you could also make a mexican chicken casserole,and freeze before cooking. A chicken and rice casserole, etc.....the list goes on and on. We eat alot of chicken at our house. Lots of casseroles. I usually boil up all my chicken that will not be used for grilling and make up the dishes before hand..... Freeze, and taa-daa..... no cooking on those nights that I am pressed for time due to ball games,practices, cheerleading, etc.......

Mexican casserole:

3 cups of chicken cubed
1 can of creeam of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can rotel
6 - 8 american cheese slices
4 - 6 pepperjack cheese slices
1 bag of chips (Dorito's or jsut nahco cheese tortilla chips)

Layer chips on bottom of casserole dish
Mix: chicken, soups, and rotel
pour in pan, layer cheese on top and then add more chips to cover soup mix. cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 - 30 minutes then remove foil abd bake another 5 minutes or until chips are browned. If I am going to freeze this, I usually Do not add the chips and cheese until ready to cook. I just layer soup mix in bottom of pan and cover with foil and freeze..
Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here