Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?

Posted by lmsorkin (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 02 at 20:24

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can successfully freeze cottage cheese. I've used half of a container in a recipe, and would like to save the other half for future use when I make the recipe again. Is it OK to freeze it?

Thanks,
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?

Hi Lori!

Here's an excerpt from the site below.

CHEESE

Certain cheeses freeze well but are likely to change in texture. Neither cottage cheese nor cream cheese should ever be frozen. Both may lose flavor as well as texture. Cottage cheese can be kept cold and covered in the refigerator for up to a week. Its container should have a tight-fitting lid since cottage cheese easily absorbs odors from other foods. Semi-soft cheeses may be cubed and frozen individually for use in cooking. They will still maintain their flavor although texture may be altered but are excellent for dishes where melted cheese is an ingredient. Unless frozen, all cheese should be kept in the fresh food part of the refrigerator. To discourage drying-out and odor absorption, cheese should be wrapped in plastic wrap or foil. Mold that may form on cheese is not harmful. The mold may be cut from the cheese and the cheese used as usual.

Hope I helped!
Paty

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Cheese

o

I would freeze the cheese.....I'm sure it will lose texture, but if you are using it in a recipe, you'll never know. I freeze lasagna made with cottage cheese and cheese cake made with cream cheese and it is fine. Don't necessariy believe everything you read at sites like nestle or Kraft...they are written by a home economist in a small room who is parroting what some other home economist said. Dairy science people will tall you it won't hurt you to eat cheese that has been frozen...but they will also tell you that it tastes a lot better if it has not ben frozen.
Linda C

o

This info was very helpful to me. I also freeze lasagna with cottage cheese in it still tastes great. So i will also freeze the cottage and sour cream for future use. tx

o

Sour cream's texture will change and can't be used as normal. It becomes watery and have lumps in it. Have you tried the cottage cheese yet?

o

Just a quick note....I have frozen SOUR CREAM successfully.! When defrosted. it is separated & very liquid..I mix it very well & place it back in the frig overnight & the next day..it is back in its semi-solid state..the same way it is when the container is first opened...It tastes perfectly fine...
I still want to try to freeze cottage cheese...great source of protein..If I can't eat it, I will use it in omelets & lasagna!

o

You can freeze cottage cheese in the container and it won't burst, but when you thaw it, you will find it has turned to a thick paste, and does not taste as good. The savory creamy part gets absorbed in, can't really taste it any more. But you can still use it for cooking, or add salt to make up for the lost taste.

o

I freeze cream cheese before. I only recommend it if you are going to cook with it. I would not freeze it if you plan on using it for frosting or spread, it does change in texture!

o

I've frozen cottage cheese many times. It does seem to be a bit drier when thawed, but the tast is the same. I see no problems with it.

o

Sorry, double post..

This post was edited by Yorkies2 on Sun, May 26, 13 at 17:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here