Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing green beans?

Posted by
Betty Hoenstine
(betty@pig.net) on
Sat, May 5, 01 at 13:52

How do I go about freezing Green Beans? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
Betty in Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing green beans?

Hi Betty,

Green beans are pretty easy to do. Just select the best beans you can find, young and tender, you can slice them or leave them whole as you prefer, wash then and remove the ends.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and drop the beans in and
blanch for 3 minutes. Cool promptly in cold water
and drain well. Not necessary but I like to let mine dry a bit and then pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal, label and freeze. If you prefer, freezer bags work just as well and are much cheaper.

o

My frozen green beans always tasted kind of funny, even though I properly blanched them, etc. Two years ago, I started preparing them, blanching them, and then freezing them covered in water. Done this way, they taste fresh, like right out of the garden.

o

Candy...I can't wait to try this because I too dislike the freezer green bean taste. It's not bad just different. I usually can my green beans because of the taste so this year I will try the water.

o

• Posted by
    Betty Hoenstine
    (betty@pig.net) on
    Mon, May 7, 01 at 9:28

Candy,
Yesterday I cooked a pot of green beans for supper. After they had come to a boil and I let them boil for 3-4 minutes, I scooped out about two cups and put them in ice water for 3 minutes drained them and put them in a plastic bag and added water to cover them and left about an inch of space above. Is this how you do it?
I wanted to try it. I may open them in a week just to see how they turns out.
The other beans we had for supper were delicious.
Betty in Florida

o

That's what I'm going to do to Betty. I hope to get some beans planted and hope to have some for the freezer, so I'm going to do the experiment you describe before I have tons of beans to do.

o

When I freeze green beans I completly cook them as I would for dinner. I know they say not to overcook veggies. As far as I'm concerned green beans are the exception to the rule. The longer they are cooked the better. This is not a quick cook method.
Fry up some bacon, then add onions to the drippings & cook till the onion changes color. Add bacon and green beans and some water. Cook all day. Then put in freezer containers.
I could eat a couple of pounds of green beans a day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here