Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing Milk

Posted by
Deb-NE
(debfb@uswest.net) on
Tue, May 15, 01 at 12:08

Is it really possible to freeze milk? When thawed does it lose some of it's taste? TIA Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing Milk

Deb you will never be able to tell the difference. I freeze it all the time.

o

Ruthie, I read somewhere that you have to empty some of the milk out of the jug before you freeze it. Do you do that?

o

Nope most of the milk I by has plenty of room left at the top. At least I have never had a problem....If you were worried though just pour a bit out into a pitcher or something and then freeze but I don't recall ever doing that.

o

Thanks Ruthie.

o

How long is it good for in the freezer?? We go through so much milk. I owuld love to stock up when it is on sale.
Thanks

o

I freeze milk -- particularly right before leaving town for a period of time. I then defrost it in the refrigerator and shake it up well. I can't tell any difference.

o

I have frozen a few gallons before and hubby swears he can taste the difference and does not like it.

Cath

o

You can freeze milk for around 2-3 months. If it contains a lot of cream, it is important when defrosted to give it a good shake to reassimilate the fatty bits with the watery bits. Once that's done, you can't detect a taste difference. I freeze mine in the cartons and plastic bottles they come in, and I use No Fat milk now, but have also frozen full-cream milk, skim milk etc. Friend of mine with allergy problems freezes her soy milk successfully. No problems for either of us. Annette

o

I am going on a 5 day trip to the Bahamas where soy milk isn't readily available for my toddler...does it really taste the same after thawing? I was wondering what I was going to do...I wasn't sure if it could be frozen or not.

Shelby

o

How do you thaw? It is taking DAYS for it to thaw in the refrig.. thus taking away the benefit of extra refrig space (which was half my goal as well as being able to buy ahead on milk).
I am freezing in gallon jug with some taken out. Do I need smaller containers?

o

I freeze milk a lot. I can't tell the difference when thawed. I do pour a glass out before I freeze it to make room for it to expand. I just let it thaw on the counter for a few hours. I like to buy it on sale, like now, it is 10 for $10.00. Mom will take 5 and and I'll take five.
Leslie

o

We freeze all our milk at home. I do not open it first to empty it at all. I always have an open container in the refrig and one waiting to be opened in the refrig. The rest are in the freezer. When I open the second refrig container I take one out of the freezer. I leave it out in the sink for 12 hours. Then I put it in the refrig (still partially frozen) and it is perfect by the time I have finished the other open one.

o

All the messages about freezing milk is probably concerning fresh pasteurised milk, because it doesn't keep for months.

But does anyone have experience or knowledge about freezing in-use UHT milk please? (Normally nobody needs to freeze UHT milk as it can keep unopened for 6 months, even at room temperatures). But I have 2 litres of UHT milk, opened & in-use but we cannot finish all of it before we go away on a trip for 10 days; and we hate to waste food. I am unsure that the opened UHT milk would keep for 10 days in our fridge, without going off; so we wondered if freezing it could be a good idea. Or if anyone knows whether freezing UHT milk would change the taste badly?

Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received, Thanks.

o

How do you thaw? It is taking DAYS for it to thaw in the refrig.. thus taking away the benefit of extra refrig space (which was half my goal as well as being able to buy ahead on milk).
I am freezing in gallon jug with some taken out. Do I need smaller containers?

Gallon jugs will take much longer to thaw.

I freeze water in a gallon jug and place in cooler for camping. Same physics as Block Ice.
It usually lasts all wk-end and provides drinking water as it melts.

Try a smaller jug. Also, placing in the door shelf will help it thaw faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here