Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I freeze eggs?

Posted by
polkadot
(polkadot95@hotmail.com) on
Tue, May 15, 01 at 10:32

I want to make breakfast casseroles (scrambled eggs, cubed bread, bacon, cheese, etc) and breakfast burritos and freeze them, but I have been discouraged. The little bit of info I can find on freezing eggs has basically said not to do it citing texture changes. However, I know that you can buy frozen breakfast food that contains scrambled eggs. Does anyone have any real-life experience on how to freeze eggs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I freeze eggs?

Here is a response from Holly....

or the past two months "M'egg muffins" have been a popular breakfast at my house. It all started when my local grocery store started giving away
free items for a certain dollar amount purchased. One week they were giving away free eggs and english muffins for buying $30 worth of groceries.
I toasted the muffins, cooked fried eggs (broke yoke), "nuked" Jimmy Dean precooked sausage patties - then I started an assembly line = muffin
with egg, sausange, and slice of cheese. These have been a lifesaver, and I can't tell you how inexpensive compared to the fast-food breakfasts my
kids
"think" they want. These freeze beautifully!

o

Haven't done this yet but want to: cook up eggs and sausage, add cheese and whatever else (I added green peppers and a touch of hot sauce). Wrap up in a soft tortilla shell - WALA - a breakfast burrito Just like McDonalds. Wonder how these'd freeze? Probably just fine.

o

Brenda, that sounds like a great idea! I made Chili and froze them in soft tortilla. My family loved them so I'm going to try your breakfast burritos. If I make... hmm about 40 I should have enough for the week (family of 7 at 1/person/day, and I know the boys cheat... ;) It's certainly going to be a whole lot more economical than cereal at $4.00 a box! If they really take off then next time I'll make 80! I'm thinking of putting in them: scrambled eggs, scrambled pork sausage (drained), onions, hashbrowns and top it with cheedar cheese before folding. Let me know how you liked yours and what you actually put in them.

o

I know that I have had some frozen egg products and that they were kind of watery, so, I would suggest not adding water/milk to your scrambled eggs when you cook them up. Just a thought. I will keep watching this though, so that I can see how everyones trials went.

o

Wow, you ladies continually impress me! I'm gonna have to start some breakfast stuff!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

o

Now I'm even more anxious to try this now you all think it'd work. I never add water or milk to eggs anyway. Wouldn't this be a great thing to do when eggs are on sale, or if you have some that need used up?
I have another recipe for a breakfast casserole that calls for eggs. I will try to remember to bring it in and type it in for you. It's from a Quick Cooking magazine. The recipe is automatically doubled and you are instructed to eat one and freeze the other.

o

I found it: anyone interested:

4 1/2 c. seasoned croutons
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped sweet red ppper
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
8 eggs
4 c. milk
1 t salt
1 t ground mustard
1/8 t pepper
8 bacon strips, cooked/crumbled

Sprinkle croutons, cheese, onions, peppers and mushrooms into 2 8-inch greased square baking dishes. In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, salt,mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables and sprinkle with bacon.
Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second, uncovered, at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or til knife comes out clean. To use frozen: Thaw in fridge for 24-36 hours. Bring to room temp for about 30 min then bake. Bake uncovered at 350 for 50-60 minutes or til knife comes out clean.
Makes 2 casseroles (6-8 servings each)

o

Thanks, Laura! I would have added milk but because I'm making so much I'm going to do them your way! I certainly don't want to chance them getting watery. Our eggs are $.89/doz. So with my family of 7 I always make sure that I buy about 4 or 5 doz. a week. I'm going to make the Breakfast Burrittos later tonight when the family is at church and out of my way ;~) We'll see how it goes!

o

Well, I made the Breakfast Burritos! I used 3 doz. eggs (scrambled), 1 lb. sausage pork, 1 lg. onion, 1 lg. green pepper, pkg. hash browns, and cheddar cheese. This made 21 large fajita size burritos. I made sure I didn't add any milk or water to the eggs and made sure they were cooked thoroughly. We ate some for breakfast for Sunday, not bad, I think I would use more cheese next time and use a lighter tortilla. The fajita style was a little heavy but the boys and my husband never noticed that :~) I had put the rest in the freezer for later and my daughter just thawed one out for breakfast today and it is fine. Not soggy at all!! Another breakfast saving idea!

o

My family has always raised chickens and in the spring we always had a surplus of eggs. 1 large egg equals 1/4 cup. We would break 4 eggs in a dish, beat them slightly and freeze in an empty yogart container. For making cakes, cookies, or scrambled eggs they worked wonderfully. Would let them thaw out in the refrigerator before using. Looked a little different but the taste was the same.

o

Thanks a lot ya'll. You've been a lot of help.

o

You can save a bundle making 'homemade great start' breakfast meals in advance when eggs, bacon or sausage are cheap. Just cook them as usual, freeze, then nuke your creations when desired and presto, a hearty breakfast.

Here's what I do, make a batch scrambled eggs or french toast or pancakes, fry up a pound or two of bacon or sauage and make home fries. Then arrange the food on individual plates or containers with those snap & seal disposable plates (Hefty snal & seal plates for example) and voila, 'meals on wheels'. Perfect for those times when you don't have time to cook. You can nuke these babies just like a store bought 'great start' with the added benefit of knowing the ingredients. Breakfast burritos are wonderful too, just scramble those eggs with some pieces of shredded ham, green peppers, onions and mushrooms or whatever your heart desires, divide your cooked concoction amongst the tortillas, roll 'em up, wrap them in plastic wrap then pop them in the freezer. Their ready to go when needed.

All previous posters are so right about buying eggs when inexpensive. If you want to just freeze eggs, scramble an egg then pour it into one section of an ice cube tray, 12 eggs will fill the tray. Pretty simple and handy to use when eggs sky rocket in price.

o

Hi!
great ideas! Just wanted to know step by step the whole procedure. What else to do to the Burritos after thawing them out before serving them on the dining table.
thanks in advance,
Ranjana

o

mmmmmmm great idea! I was wondering how you thaw the burritos...microwave, fridge, kitchen counter?? Then how do you cook them...microwave? What is thaw time and cook time on these? Also how should I freeze these? Individually saran wrapped or in a container?

o

bump

o

I have been making the breakfast burritos for some time. I just use eggs, sausage, and cheese. I use the small )8") tortillas. I also wrap them in foil. When we are ready to eat them we put them in the toaster oven.

Jessica

o

I've been making Mc Muffins for a long time, never knew I could freeze them as well until now - always thought the egg would be affected. That is NOT the case and they do great. My Mc Muffin: 1 egg cooked regular (break the yoke) 1 slice thick bacon, 1 slice American cheese, 1 sourdough English muffin. Cook egg and bacon, set aside. Salt & pepper egg, (add tabassco sauce to if you want.) Butter muffin (both sides) and grill butter side down until toasted. Let everything cool. From bottom up, slice of muffin, egg, bacon, cheese and then top muffin. I wrap mine in cellophane wrap then freeze. To reheat, pop in microwave on high for 40 seconds, take off wrap (caution, could be hot) and zap another 20 or so seconds (tends to dry out moisture on muffins.) Absolutely delish and a great sandwich to take to work (would be thawed by then.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here