Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
breakfast and dinners needed

Posted by
Bugs
(bugs@niagara.com) on
Wed, May 23, 01 at 9:47

My grandmother is having a bunch of company coming to stay in a couple weeks and I offered to help. I need some ideas of things we can freeze for supper, Id like chicken pies for sure, no pasta please since my grandfather wont eat it and my granmother only eats poultry and fish so red meat must be improvised with turkey sausage or burger etc. (now you know why I need help) Also breakfasts that can be made a day ahead would also be helpful. Thanks,.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: breakfast and dinners needed

Oh Lets see, Cook off a whole chicken, and then..
Chicken corn soup, chicken pot pie, or chicken and biscuits,
marinade the chicken breasts, throw on the grill when ready,
Turkey- cutlets, mixed up, and breaded, ready to go. Turkey BBQ- shred the meat, add sauce or whatever.YOu could get some nice fillets, (fish) season w/ lemon pepper, and tiny bit of marg. bake or grill.
As far as breakfast: quiche, or breakfast casserole use ham or turkey sausage.
I wouln't get to fancy- how about serve yourself- get some bagels, cream cheese( flavored if you like) granola, yogurt, and an assortment of cereals, add coffee, juice and your set. YOu can make yourself really crazy , but remember your grandparents guests are not coming just to eat, and will probable be very happy with whatever is served. Good luck!

o

Right off the top of my head I would suggest chicken fajitas. Cook them ahead on the grill and freeze them and then when ready to serve just pop them out and serve witn the lettuce tomatoes etc. Add a pot of beans or do a pan of mexican rice ahead and freeze it.

o

Muffins are easy to make and freeze. These are lifesavers for breakfasts and snacks. Here is an easy recipe for "breakfast cookies" as well:

2 C. "Jiffy" Baking mix
1 lb. turkey sausage
2/3 C. milk
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease lightly a cookie sheet.
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet.
4. Bake about 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet.
5. Place on paper towel. Refrigerate or freeze in covered
container.

Good luck,
Holly in WI

o

Forgot to mention that the "breakfast cookie" recipe makes 28 cookies.

Holly

o

Forgot to mention that the "breakfast cookie" recipe makes 28 cookies.

Holly

o

Some ideas: Mexican chicken casserole, chicken and dressing casserole, chicken and dumplin's, breakfast burritos, blueberry pancakes, chili, Cavender's chicken, the list can on and on. You could also bake some tuna and have tuna steaks one night and flake the left overs for tuna salad. ( some of these recipes are for larger quanities) I cook for a family of 5.

some recipes follow:

You can also make up a batch of scratch buttermilk buscuits and freeze those, I usually make up my buscuits and then lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze and then remove and place in ziplocks.... when I am ready to cook, I just place them on a pan and bake..... I do not thaw mine, (hubby thaws his)

Mexican casserole:

3 cups of chicken cubed
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can rotel
6 - 8 american cheese slices
4 - 6 pepperjack cheese slices
1 bag of chips (Dorito's or just nacho cheese tortilla chips)

Layer chips on bottom of casserole dish
Mix: chicken, soups, and rotel
pour in pan, layer cheese on top and then add more chips to cover soup mix. cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 - 30 minutes then remove foil and bake another 5 minutes or until chips are browned. If I am going to freeze this, I usually Do not add the chips and cheese until ready to cook. I just layer soup mix in bottom of pan and cover with foil and freeze..

Blueberry pancakes:

(you can make these up ahead of time and freeze in ziplocks, you can pop them in the toaster or microwave)

1 part pancake mix ( scratch or boxed)
1 package of Martha White's blueberry muffin mix
add milk according to both packages)
cook up and freeze. I usually do this on a weekend and have enough to last kids all week. ( this is also great for a gift in a jar mix)

Cavender's Grilled Chicken Salad

3 cups of cubed chicken
place in skillet with some Pam or some butter
saute in Cavender's greek seasoning until done
Place over bed of greens and Ranch dressing.......

Breakfast Burritos:
flour tortilla's
1 dozen scrammbled eggs
1 package of sausage
1 package of shredded cheese

layer on tortilla and sprinke with cheese. Quick and easy breakfast.

Chocolate gravy and buscuits:

1/4 cup of cocoa
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp vanilla
butter
mix cocoa, sugar and flour together, add milk to obtain a creamy base, start cooking on med. heat, continue to add milk as it thickens until you reach desired consistency....
when done, add vanilla, and a lump of butter, serve over buscuits.

Hope this helps, Yvette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here