Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic cloves

Posted by mvastian (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 04 at 8:55

Hi, I'm new here.

So far I've read the threads on pages 8-10 and half of the first page. Somebody mentioned peeling all the garlic they have at hand and freezing the cloves.

I do the same thing, only keep them in a glass jar filled with olive oil, in the fridge. BONUS: the flavored olive oil.

Just thought that someone might like this idea.

Maria in Athens, Greece

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic cloves

The garlic in olive oil is a great idea, however, as for freezing......wouldn't freezing dimish or take away flavor from the cloves (which is why you add garlic to any dish in the first place)?

o

Roast it in a covered baking dish. Using whole heads, trim the tops off a tiny bit [this makes squeezing the pulp out easy], put in dish, drizzle with olive oil, bake at 350 for 40 minites. Make garlic butter's' out of it and freeze. To use defrost and spread on bread/toast or whatever.

o

I copied and pasted this article for you re: storing fresh garlic in olive oil.....

Storing Garlic in Oil - Warning! - not safe.

It's important to keep food safety in mind when storing garlic in oil. Low-acid foods like garlic can be a source of Clostridium botulinum bacteria which are found in soil, water, and air. Oil's oxygen-free environment is perfect for growth of this anaerobic bacteria. Garlic in oil, therefore, must be stored correctly to prevent botulism food poisoning.

Commercial garlic-in-oil mixtures are acidified to prevent bacterial growth. These products can be stored safely at room temperature. Unfortunately, acidification of garlic in homemade oil mixtures can't be recommended because no research exists to support proper procedures. Different people recommend different methods and time to acidify and it is hard to know who is right. Instead, it's best to store these hazardous oils in the refrigerator, but for a limited time only. This conflicts with the desire for long term storage.

When raw garlic is stored in oil, Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow. These mixtures must be refrigerated to slow bacterial growth. After 3 weeks of refrigeration, the increased number of bacteria will become a food safety hazard. Therefore, these mixtures should not be refrigerated longer than 3 weeks.

To be safe, FDA said, garlic-in-oil products should contain additional ingredients -- specific levels of microbial inhibitors or acidifying agents such as phosphoric or citric acid. Most garlic products do contain these additives, as disclosed on their labels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here