Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing macaroni & Cheese?

Posted by
Hannele Bennett
(hanneleb@home.com) on
Sun, Apr 22, 01 at 20:41

I am looking for a macaroni and cheese recipe that I can freeze in single serving sizes. This would make a good snack item for the teens. Does anyone know how the commercial products are prepared? They all seem to be so creamy and the texture is good.
Any help will be be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing macaroni & Cheese?

Hannele, I just make it from scratch...Make a thinner white sauce befor adding the cheese and it tastes like Stouffer's.
'cause I know the macaroni does absorb some liquid, bake it and after it's cool, portion it in the glad lock thingys and freeze...
Debby

o

I am told that if you are freezing macaroni it it best to cook it "al dente" instead of that perfect pasta point. That way when it is thawed it won't be mushy. Works good for me...I just cook it till it is almost done and rinse it in cold water to stop the cooking.

o

• Posted by
    Betty Hoenstine
    (betty@pig.net) on
    Sat, May 5, 01 at 13:56

Debbie,
Please give us your recipe foe the Macaroni and Cheese.
Betty

o

betty, sorry I haven't gotten back, was out the weekend with girl scout troop...do you have Mueller's macaroni products where you are? I use the recipe on the back of the box...if you don't have Muellers around you, let me know and I'll send the recipe to you...

Debby

o

you can only freeze macaroni cheese if it has black pudding in it!!!

o

No please we leave the black pudding out over here. We much prefer a less colorful diet...

o

I found this Mac & Cheese recipe awhile back on the web,and it's the best recipe I've tried yet.
~Mac & Cheese~
1 cup cooked macaroni
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup Velveta cheese,cut up in cubes.

Mix all ingredients,Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes,til bubbly. If desired,sprinkle crushed Ritz cracker crumbs over top.

I make this in individual casseroles,and I have frozen them very succesfully.
Dotty

o

Dotty,

That recipe was put up on one of the cooking forums a while back by Hazel and has since made the rounds. I, too, have adopted this as my recipe, and it is absolutely delicious! Now when we have a potluck supper, I am always asked to bring this.

o

Polkadot, That's where I got the Mac & cheese recipe from,one of the cooking forums,but I couldn't remember which one. I just LOVE this recipe. I try mostly,to use the low fat sour cream and cottage cheese,and the velveta. I've never tried it using the no fat cheeses, but thought I might experiment sometime.
Dotty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here