Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having baby, need to fill freezer.

Posted by
Ilisa
(ilisa_n@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 13, 01 at 16:53

Hi there, I'm new to this, but since I'm giving birth in a few weeks I thought it might be a good idea to stock up the freezer with meals for me, my husband and toddler.

Here's my list so far. Any suggestions of what to add would really be appreciated.

We are Jewish, so some meat is forbidden (ie shellfish, pork) and we don't mix milk and meat together (for tacos I use that Harvest burger ground tofu stuff).

I have an extra freezer in the basement and would love to fill it before this new baby comes. Thanks in advance.

Meatloaf
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Stuffed Cabbage
Chicken pot pie
Vegetable Lasagne
Stuffed shells
Tomato Basil Soup (I have the most tremendous recipe for this if anyone would like it)
Chicken Soup
Chili
Mac and Cheese
Chicken and rice casserole

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having baby, need to fill freezer.

Ilisa, I'm in a similar boat, giving birth in June.....love your list, been looking for just this kind of thing!!

Three other things I'm adding to mine:

Veggie Gumbo (chicken or beef would work too!)
Veggie packed Spaghetti Sauce (you could add whatever meat to it too!) all I have to do is cook noodles!
Jambalaya

Would love your Tomato Basil soup recipe!!

take care.
Grumpy!

o

You might check out the Vegetarian Forum. Also your library should have some Vegetarian magazines. I know the book stores do. If you know someone in the Adventist Church, or are near a ABC bookstore there are a lot of excellent receipes avaiable. My books are back in ND, but I could get you some names etc. Also any Christian bookstore has cookbooks.
marie

o

Thanks, Grumpy! Great things to add to my list.

Here's the soup recipe, it's from a chain of soup take-out restaurants in Manhattan called the Daily Soup.

Tomato Soup

2 T unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 leeks, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 T sugar
2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
6 C vegetable stock
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, diced
2 C heavy cream
1 T brandy
4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 C chopped fresh chives

Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, leeks, celery and sugar and saute until carmelized and golden brown.

Add thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cayenne and stir to coat the vegetables

Add the stock and canned tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce heat, partial cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the garlic and simmer another 5 minutes.

Blend with immersion blender.

I freeze it at this point and when I re-heat add the cream (I usually use either just milk or soymilk, but it is better with cream) and some chopped tomatoes and chives for garnish.

It freezes really nicely.

o

Ilisa, thanks for the Tomato Basil Soup Recipe!

Marie, I spend lotsa time over at the vegetarian site, they've got some yummy looking dishes over there too, the trick is how many of them can I freeze!

Take care
Grumpy!

o

Thanks for the soup recipe, Ilisa. If it's got tomato/basil combo, it's a hit in my house!

Can't wait to try it!

o

Ilisa:

Call me unimaginative, but where's the basil in your Tomato Basil Soup recipe?

Jane

o

Too Funny Jane....

Ilisa...How is the cooking going?

o

Yes, isn't that funny - there is no actual basil in the recipe for "Tomato Basil Soup"!! I suppose I should have changed the name when I re-typed it from the cookbook, but wanted to maintain the integrity of the recipe! ;)

That's the problem with this specific cook book "The Daily Soup". Everything I've made has been terrific, but there were definitly some editing problems. Some of the recipes list ingredients that they never tell you how to use.

Anyway, it's still great soup and freezes beautifully.

Cooking is going ok Ruthie, thanks for asking. I'm due very soon and having trouble standing for long periods of time. Yesterday I made a big batch of ziti with portobello mushrooms in a goat cheese sauce. I'm not sure how the sauce will freeze, but I'm going to give it a shot.

o

Well take care and pop in after baby arrives and give us the news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here