Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your next meal?

Posted by neesie (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 15:48

For heaven's sake, I shouldn't be posting on the once a week cooking forum since I can barely keep one foot in front of the other!

My question is, what are you cooking next? I made a large dish of Chicken Fried Rice yesterday (I'm pretty generous with the chicken and consider it a main meal). Judging by my families schedule today I'm just going to let them finish the CFR off and supplement with sandwiches, if need be.

Tonight I am going to things prepped to go in the crock pot for tomorrow. I'm making Cantonese Crock Pot Dinner. I made a note to myself to take the pork strips out of the freezer and set them in the fridge to thaw overnight. I am also going to chop the onion and slice the green pepper so it is ready in the morning. It is so easy to assemble. I got the recipe with my first crock pot 27 years ago.

Cantonese Dinner in the Crock Pot

1 1/2 lbs pork steak cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 T. oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 4 oz can mushrooms, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons Worchstershire sauce

Brown pork strips in oil in skillet to remove excess fat (I usually do enough for 3 or 4 meals and freeze)

Drain on double paper towel.

Place pork strips and all remaining ingredients into crock pot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3 hours. Serve over hot, fluffy rice. Serves 4.

Personally I have been known to let this cook as long as 10 hours and it's still okay. If I think it's going to go that long I may put the pork strips in frozen. I serve this about once a month. As long as I do the prep ahead of time it only takes minutes to assemble in the morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
prep work for Split Pea Soup tomorrow

I will be soaking split peas in anticipation of making Split Pea Soup in the crock pot tomorrow. I will also peel some carrots and a potatoe tonight to make things real simple in the morning. I already have the chopped onion. Must chop some celery too! I have to remember to take the freezer baggie of cubed ham out of the freezer. I am getting low on the left-over ham from Easter. I have one bag that I'm reserving for the Mother's Day Brunch I am hosting (ham & augratans in addition to regular breakfast fare).

The last Split Pea recipe I made in the crock pot was too thin. We like ours thick.

o
RE: What's your next meal?

I ALWAYS double up on any meats that I am cooking...C.O.S.T. cooking is the key. Cook Once, Serve Twice (at least:)

I will be doing up a big batch of Ground Beef, flavored with Homemade Gourmet's Taco Soup seasoning. I will tacos one meal (I lay out toppings and the kids pick soft or hard shell and what they want in it.) Then I will use left over seasoned ground beef for taco soup....mmmm....my kids very favorite. I also put aside some of the meat for taco dip which is a staple in our house (if meat is gone we make it vegetarian). Sour cream (or cottage cheese if I am trying to be healthy), black beans, salsa, shredded cheese, green peppers, tomatoes, and taco soup seasoning....oh, all the kids love it and it's a great way to get the raw veggies in.
We literally have this 3-4 times a week as our late snack...with many times it turning into dinner. :)
blessings on the journey,
Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Family Dinners

o
RE: What's your next meal?

I haven't made tacos in such a long time! What a great idea; I'll certainly be putting those items on my shopping list. Everyone in my house loves tacos and the late night taco dip is a great idea also. Guess I got so hooked on making everything in my crock pot I that I forgot about tacos!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here