Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you freeze homemade salsa?

Posted by
Janet
(jhcliff@usa.net) on
Sun, Apr 1, 01 at 13:59

I like to make a few different salsas. Most have some diced fruit along with the vegetables. It would be great to make a big batch when I am doing all that dicing and freeze what I don't need right away. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you freeze homemade salsa?

you can but it gets mushy

o

I agree with marie, you certainly can do it but while it will taste the same it will not have the same consistancy.

o

If you make it chunky there is probably no way around the mushyness but have you ever blended it all together? It is actually pretty good and would probably hold up well frozen since it can't really get mushy.

o

I think hot water bath canning is the way to go with salsas. Try it - it's really not difficult at all and definitely worth doing for big batches. I do mine that way so I can pop the lid, not thaw, and I also have some to fill those last minute gift bags with too! By the way, Janet, your salsas with fruit sound yummy - would you care to share recipes?!

o

Thanks for the tip. Does the hot water bath canning cook the fruit and vegetables? My salsa don't have any cooked ingredients. The recipes are simple -- dice and combine all ingredients. Then let mixture sit for a while to enhance flavors. I have substitued canned chili peppers for fresh and played around with different fruit combinations. The salsa seem to work with seafood or poultry. Here are some recipes:

Seafood Tacos with Fruit Salsa
For the seafood tacos:
2 T lemon juice, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp ground allspice, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 - 2 tsp grated lemon peel, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 lb or any firm fish filet (halibut, snapper, basa or whatever you like), corn or flour tortillas, 3 cups washed and torn romaine (or whatever greens you like), 1 small red onion thinly sliced

Prepare fruit salsa and set aside (recipe follows)
Combine lemon juice, chili powder, allspice, garlic, lemon peel and cloves in small bowl. Rub fish with spice mixture. (fish may be cut in pieces first, if you like)
Broil, grill or bake fish. Heat tortillas until hot and pliable. Top each tortilla with some lettuce, red onion, a piece of fish and fruit salsa

Supposed to make six servings, but I don't think a pound of fish goes that far.

Fruit salsa:
1 small ripe papaya, peeled, seeded, diced, 1 firm small banana, diced, 2 green onions minced, 3 T chopped fresh cilantro, 3 T lime juice, 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced

Pineapple Salsa
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple, 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper, 1 green onion thinly sliced, 2 T lime juice, 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, 1 T chopped fresh cilantro or fresh basil

Mango Salsa:
2 medium ripe mangoes peeled and chopped (also good with papaya), 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced, 1 ripe tomato, chopped, juice of 1 lime, pinch of salt, 1/2 - 1 small fresh chili pepper minced or Tabasco to taste, 1 T chopped fresh cilantro

Tomato Orange Salsa:
3 ripe tomatoes diced, 4 scallions chopped, 1/2 - 1 fresh green chili seeded and minced or 1/3 tsp cayenne, 2 tsp freshly grated orange peel, 1 orange sectioned and seeded, each section cut in half, 2 T fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, salt to taste

o

Please understand that it is not considered safe to hot water bath salsa. Salsa is usually a high acid food but it varies by its contents. Check with you local ag ext service but I am positive that you will not find anyone that would recommend a hot water bath. Yes you may get away with it but unless it had a very high vinegar amount I wouldn't do it.

o

Well eating some crow here...I just found a recipe where they do say you can water bath salsa but I have never heard that before and I have talked to several ext agents about it.

o

I have been canning Mexican Salsa for over 30 years and have never thrown one jar away due to spoilage. I do not take shortcuts. After I open a jar and use the desired amount, I pour the remainder into ice cube trays and freeze it into individual portions. I make Mexican Salsa every year. I have never done fruit salsas.
Happy cooking
Angie

o

If you are cooking it, freeze it. It beats the extra time and money spent with the special jars and the hot water bath. That process would also cook the ingredients so why not take the short cut? I preserve my pickles but any salsa that I cook, I freeze in small jars (just leave room for the expansion). Small plastic containers work well too. Be sure to label them tho'. Unless you like surprises????
Have fun!

o

Angie do you use the pressure canning or the hot water bath?

o

i mix mine up with a blender/food processor so it's not chunky-- more like the restaurant salsas, and it freezes & thaws just fine.

o

Ruthie, I'm sorry I didn't see your question before. This is regarding Mexican salsa. I always use the water bath. The reason I can it, it's because I also like to freeze a lot and need the room in the freezers for vegetables, etc. The jars I can place anywhere and they look pretty when they're out on shelves, etc. Believe it or not, we have two freezers and right now they're jammed. It's so convenient to have these vegetables, fruits, etc. during the winter. Ruthie I love your recipes and ideas, keep it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here