Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vacuum sealers

Posted by
Lana
(bandlmccormik@aol.com) on
Sun, Apr 1, 01 at 12:51

I've been thinking for a couple years of getting one, have seen them on tv infomercials, but hesitate because of the price and the thought "will I really use it"? I would like anyones opinion on owning one; do you use it and was it worth the price? And brands; are there any brands that are better and any to stay away from? What to look for? Any features that are especially helpful? Storage? I honestly feel I would use it since I have a garden and think it would be wonderful for freezing veggies besides being able to freeze food portions with no freezer burn and the ease of pulling something out and popping it in the microwave or boil it but still have home cooking without all the preservatives, sodium and all the other unwanteds. I appreciate everyones thoughts and experiences on this, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vacuum sealers

I have one. I use it a lot! It is so great for sealing up portions of different sizes and since it takes out all the extra air from the package there is less chance of freezer burn. Just MO here, but I really think they are a worthwhile item.

o

I looked on Ebay for mine too high. Found a great one on Ubid.com with the jar attachment for 49.00 plus shipping. Very happy with it and the price was worth it as I go in spurts using it. Sometimes alittle and sometimes I use it alot. Just check out all the internet sites and find a good deal. Mine is the compact II Foodsaver by Tilia.

o

I too got my tilia compact II on ubid for 49$ what a great price, I use mine everyday. I have not had to throw out lettuce, grapes, tomatoes, carrots, etc. It is worth every penny. No more freezer burnt meat, Ilike to buy in bulk to get the best price and then I separate and vac seal and it will keep for 2 years.

o

Here is a helpful hint--never pay full price for refill bags or rolls! The Tilia comes with a sheet where you can order those items but you can find them MUCH cheaper at places like SAM's Club, Costco...

o

Here's another vote for Tilia...we have had it about two months, or less, using it like crazy, don't know how we did without it and we are only getting started.

We put salad in the largest canister (two people), stays nice, all week. Also, this is the first time I have been able to freeze bread, with out worrying about it getting freezer burn...just remember, freeze BEFORE you vacuum pack it....you have heard the term flat bread ?...LOL

Joy

o

We purchased the Tilia Foodsaver (Compact II) not long after it hit the airwaves, and we LOOOOOVE it! If you can find it on one of the auction sites for $49, then by all means, go for it! (I'm still choking from seeing those posts above. LOL)

After we got it, I took it over to my DM's house so she could try it out. The very next day she was at Wal-Mart, purchasing her own. However, the one they sell does *NOT* have the wide-mouth jar attachment (at least they didn't then, and didn't have them when I was there two days ago). I happen to use a lot of jars; my mother does not. So think about which model is right for you.

The bags can be found at Wal-Mart, and it's cheaper than sending away to Tilia for them. The manufacturer claims the bags are reusable, but I've found they don't seal quite as well as a new bag does. Still, I can't imagine being without our machine. HTH =o)

o

They have them on ebay running about 80 bucks give or take and they have one on ubid right now that is at $59. I might just bid on one. I saw the old DaZy seal a meal on ebay for next to nothing. I know it's just a simple unit but does anyone use those.

o

Hi Ruthie, I used to have one. The Seal-A-Meal works (for sealing a bag), but it's not the same thing as the Tilia Foodsaver (vacuum). The S.A.M only seals, it does not remove the air from the bag and it's the air that does the damage (especially when freezing).

Joy

o

I just bought my VS a couple, of days ago. I think I am going to love it! I would really like some of the canisters. Anyone know where to buy them cheaper. Seem kind of expensive!

Elaine

o

Elaine, what kind did you buy?

o

Ruthie, I bought a Tilia from Sam's. The bags are great, but I think it would be nice to have the canisters. A really small one came with my sealer and I put my coffee in it. The square one sounds great for marinating meat! Haven't tried the jars yet, but plan to soon. Thanks,

Elaine

o

Elaine, I'm sorry I don't know were to buy them cheaper, I also would like to know. I have three (they came with it), I use them every day and would like more. I have salad and strawberries in two of them, right now. I haven't tried jars, yet. I have not used the bags, either, I buy the rolls that you cut to size, it's much less expensive...the, bags you make from the rolls are always the right size. I have sealed extra flour, sugar etc., to keep it fresh, dry, and bug free.

I find myself sealing every thing, that isn't nailed down...I, warned my DH to keep moving...LOL

Joy

o

I also love my compact Foodsaver II. But I read that you should not seal powdery things, like sugar and flour, in bags, only jars and canisters. If in bags, some of the powder can get sucked into the machine and damage it. I found some big jars at "Organized Living" but I'd like some gallon sized ones. I think the canisters are very expensive and hope the price comes down. I think this thing is worth every penny I paid for it. Have had it 1 year.

o

Here is the link to where I bought my Professional II Foodsaver last summer and some accessories in the winter. I had to call then but they now have online ordering. I just went there and ordered some more containers. The shipping is a little high, but I've had NO problems with them at all.
It's in Canada but they have a money converter right on their site to find out what it will cost in American dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foodsaver Accessories

o

Peggy, I'm sure you are right, about the powder getting sucked in...I should have made it clear, I left the flour and sugar in the original bags they came in (checked to be sure there were no leaks) and sealed them.

Joy

o

I bought my cannisters at service merchandise for 19$ for a set of 3, and they have the square one for 19 also. I got alot of Ball canning jars and theya re great, once you start with the jars you will be so surprised at what you can use them for, my cherry tomatoes stay fresh for weeks, also grapes, cubed cheese for the kids to snack on, mixed up chicken salad and tuna salad for lunches, i can make more at a time and it keeps longer. I got the jars for about 6.50 a dozen for quart size and the same price for 1/2 dozen 1/2 gallon size, I am trying to get some gallon jars from where i work.

o

Thanks everyone. I plan to check to see if we still have a Service Merchandise in San Antonio. The one in the part of town where I do most of my shopping closed a of couple of years ago. I still haven't tried the jars, but plan to do that today after....I wash the car and mow the lawn, and do laundry, and, and and......I'd better get off the computer and get with it!! Later everyone......

o

I have a bid on a unit at ubid.com. Right now it is at 54.00...but still has till 6 PM PT.......

Here is a link that might be useful: ubid

o

I also purchased my canisters at Service Merchandise. If we write to Sam's we might get them to carry them also. I buy all my bags for different locations because they are cheaper than Tilia. I re-use my bags, so a few rolls last a very long time. I think I have thrown away two or three in two years since I had my machine. I also freeze everything I can put my hands on. I have mine on the counter and use it daily.
Good luck
Angie

o

can anyone with an objective view share their experience with the pump n' seal?

o

Just was reading over the forum and was wondering
what model you all have.I seen the one at Wal-mart
and it was model 350 and it was for $99.Is this a
good price?I would love to have one.
Thanks Trish

o

The 300 doesn't have the jar port so it cannot seal jars or canisters. You can go to QVC and get the Compact II that comes with bags (both the 11" and 8"), rolls (same), canister, universal lid and bottle stopper for about $125 plus s&h. I found it to be a better deal than Sam's and BJ's that is $129 (canister is smaller and I don't think you get the bottle stopper). Ubid still has them occassionally, but they are refurbished. If you go that route, make sure it is MANUFACTURER refurbished. That means it is to the standard of a new model, by the manufacturer, not just by a repair shop (you can read the details on the Ubid site). Love it, except for uneven items, like chicken nuggets, have trouble getting a seal. Any ideas on that, by the way?

o

Thanks Carol,
I am not sure on the chicken leg sorry, I have been looking at the one at Wal-mart for a long time.The one
reason why I didn't buy it was it didn't have the can thing.
I just hate to have to order stuff but guess I will huh?
Thanks again
Trish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here