Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
self-rising flour???

Posted by Lisa_in_Germany (lrittel@charter.net) on
Fri, Apr 26, 02 at 11:36

Hi, everyone. I mostly hang out at KT here at THS, but I have a question that I think fits better over here.
I used to have a "recipe" for making your own self-rising flour. It used a 5 lb. bag of flour and told you how much baking powder and stuff to add to it.
I can't buy self-rising flour over here so I was wondering if anybody could help me find this recipe again. I would really appreciate it.
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: self-rising flour???

Lisa,
I don't have the exact recipe you are looking for. But, I quit buying self-rising flour years ago. Here's my substitute recipe. Use 1 Tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt per 2 cups of all purpose flour. It works just fine. I've made it in tripple batches. I don't do that anymore because it's just as easy to make it as I go.
Terri

o

Thanks, Terri.
I usually do that, too, but was wanting to make a batch up to use for cornbread and things like that so I don't have to pull so many ingredients out of the cabinet. I'm REALLY lazy! LOL
I am thinking the recipe was in one of the Make-A-Mix cookooks, but I can't find mine right now. I have to go look in a box.
Lisa

o

You could weigh what six cups of flour weighs to find out how many cups in a 5 pound bag and then adjust this recipe accordingly. (ie, if 6 cups weighed 1 pound then according to the following recipe you would add 15 Tablespoons of baking powder and 5 Tablespoons of salt to a 5 pound bag of flour.)

Ann.

How to Make Self-Rising Flour
From your Desserts/Baking Guide

Why buy self-rising flour when you can make your own?

Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 15 minutes

Here's How:

In a large mixing bowl, measure 6 cups of flour.
Add 3 tablespoons baking powder.
Add 1 tablespoon salt.
Either sift together or mix with a wire whisk until well combined.
Can be stored in airtight container for months.

Tips:

Measure self-rising flour like regular flour.
Keep all dry goods in airtight containers to avoid moisture and infestation.

Related Information:

o

Thank you, Ann. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Since the flour over here is only sold in kilo bags, anyway, I would have to weigh out 5 lbs. on my scale anyway.
This is probably the recipe I was looking for. For some reason, I just thought it was for 5 lbs.
Thanks again.
Lisa

o

I am extremely particular about what flour I use Nothing but King Arthur. Anyway the local stores quit selling the self rising as there was not enough demand for it. I wrote to the King Arthur people and they sent me the info on making my own "Place 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Fluff up the King Arthur all purpose flour. Spoon gently into the measuring cup to bring it to one cup flour. Stir well with a fork and you will have one cup self rising flour"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here