Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Batch Pie Dough?

Posted by marilyn_sue (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 6:27

Does anyone make big batches of pie dough and freeze it, shaped or unshaped to roll out later. Or do you freeze pies ready to bake? Sometimes I shape the pie shell in a foil pan and also roll out rounds to fit the tops and separate them with wax paper or plastic wrap and freeze until ready to add the filling and bake. I find this saves me a lot of time and a lot of mess from the flour. Would love your recipes if you have them?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Batch Pie Dough?

I make ahead and freeze in round flats, enough for one crust. This recipe makes 5 very large or 6 med crusts.

5 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups butter flavored Crisco
Using pastry blender, mix all until pea size. Add and mix the following.

1 egg
1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix egg and vinegar, add cold water to make 1 cup.

Divide into 5 or 6 portions.
Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. I use the same wrap to roll my crust.

o

I used to use the same recipe you use Shirleywny5, but now I use a recipe that uses 5 pounds of flour and 3 pounds of Crisco. I like to make very large batches as we seem to always need pies for some event or other.

Sue

o

Oh,Sue - that sounds amazing. How many crusts does this make and can you give the exact amounts for us?
thanks so much, Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Family Dinners

o

Okay, I will try to post again! I tried last week and when I went to submit, my screen went blank and then each time there was some sort of problem with trying to get on the Garden Web.

Here is the big batch of pie dough.
You will need of course a very large bowl and either a hand mixer or a pastry blender tool.

In a large bowl put 5 pounds of all purpose flour. I take mine right out of the freezer and it is very cold.

To this add 1 three pound can of vegetable shortening that has been in the refrigerator. Add the shortening in large spoons full and either use the mixer or your pastry blender tool or whatever you like to mix in the flour and shortening until it is fairly small pieces. When it is done add to this two 12 ounce cans of lemon lime drink. Let it soak in and then stir it well until it becomes a large lump! Then shape smaller portions of the dough in a size for a top and bottom crust. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze. Put the wrapped dough into a ziplock freezer bag. Put in the refrigerator to thaw when ready to use or put in the to chill refrigerator and then roll out for pie. Some times I add some sugar to the flour and shortening mixture and also maybe some vanilla if you wish a sweeter dough. This does not call for any salt. I don't know how many pies this makes as I don't use it all at once. It has always turned out well for me.

Sue

o

My recipe is called "Never Fail Pie Crust" and it never fails no matter how much extra flour you use or how you roll it. I think the original recipe called for 2-1/2 cups of shortening for 6 crusts. 2 cups works great for me. It's unbelievable how flaky the crusts are. I thaw in the microwave on defrost cycle. It is workable but still cold. I use the plastic wrap that I freeze it in to roll it out. Love it.

o

Thanks so much for both of you responding. I am excited to do this next week. I am thinking of so many quick things to do with it besides desserts - chicken pot pie, taco pie, italian motzerrela....yum
blessings on the journey,
Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Gourmet

o

Shirley, I've used "Never Fail" for 40 years. I was given the recipe by a county extension agent in Wichita, KS.

But mine makes a smaller batch, calling for less flour, salt and shortening, same egg and vinegar, less water. I just used your version today because I use 9 and 10 inch pie plates and my regular recipe is really never quite enough to make two, two-crust pies. At first I thought maybe the liquid was 'way too much, but I added just enough additional flour to be able to keep it from sticking to my hands and I found that I liked the softer dough that the extra liquid makes. I have not had good luck with freezing the dough from my recipe in the past, although there is usually no need to freeze as my family inhales pie.

I might add a couple of things I do that helps in working the dough, though. I roll my dough out between two sheets of waxed paper. Then I place them in the refrigerator or freezer for just until the dough becomes cold. This makes it ever so much easier to peel the waxed paper off. After I have filled the pie shell and put on my top crust, I always sprinkle it with sugar. My grandmother used to wipe her pie tops with milk and then sprinkle sugar but I find the sugar alone does the trick. This makes the top of the pie brown nicely and the sugary crust adds to the flavor of the pie. --Ilene

o

Thanks for the recipes. I want to try these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here