Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diabetic cooking. Any suggestions?

Posted by Yellowhair (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 04 at 17:21

DH has diabetes, is now ready to eat that way. Any suggestions on preparing and freezing this type of meals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diabetic cooking. Any suggestions?

Sorry Yellowhair.......I don't know anything about cooking for a diabetic.....

o

Hi Yellowhair
I've been cooking for a diabetic for years. Tell me, Type 1 or type 2?
I also need to know what other issues your DH has?
My DH has been fighting renal failure for 3 years, successfully. Each diet for diabetics varies based on their specific needs.
I recommend using grapeseed oil instead of butter for making scrambled eggs or baking. It works beautifully and hasn't the flavor of Olive oil, but the same good health benefits. Try to keep the red meat portions fist sized or less. Vanilla is a great flavor replacement instead of sugar for many recipes.
My DH loves crepes for breakfast because he can put slenda on them like powdered sugar.

Here's one recipe, I've got more if you want email me...

Crepes in a blender!
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1-2 eggs (I usually us 3 for the extra protien for my crepe loving daughter)
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend away

Heat pan and cover in grapeseed oil
the crepe mix should easily spread around the pan thinly
flip and serve
I usually make 3 batches and keep in fridge. They are gone by the end of the week
they microwave up quick and easy
you could freeze them if you wish

Another cook for a diabetic,
Carlota

o

I have been a diabetic for five years. At the time I was diagnosed, my doctor told me to buy the Sugar Busters book and go on their recommendations for 6 months and "perhaps" I would be able to go off all medication. I started that day and have been faithful in everything but portion size - I love to eat larger portions. It was difficult, but after 6 months I was able to discontinue my diabetic medication and I have never had to restart. My last A1c test was 6. (One of my neighbors has an A1c of 10 1/2!!!) I have no blood-sugar spikes so hopefully will not lose my feet or go blind.

I strongly recommend you switch your whole kitchen to the Sugar Busters lifestyle. It's difficult for the first
month, but it works. There is a cookbook also, but I just modify my old recipes. Good luck,

o

I'm not diabetic, but I've done Sugarbusters in the past and can honestly say, it's easy to follow and you easily modify existing recipes. The portion control part...well lets not go there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here