Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need really good chicken recipes.....

Posted by keck (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 02 at 16:17

I'm trying to ease into OAMC in efforts to eat better and save some money (our eat out bill for last year, was insane!)

I have cooked and frozen several beef recipes, such as lasange, ziti, chili, taco meat. I am planning to try meat loaf too.

However, my husband is very picky about chicken. We both seem to like the taste of a whole chicken in the crockpot. However, when I cook chicken pieces on the stove it just doesn't taste right. The pieces are better in the crock pot, but still not quite right. Any secrets to this?

I would like to make several chicken recipes and freeze. I would prefer them to be somewhat healthy, but I suppose any recipe would be better than delivery pizza, huh? Any recipe ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need really good chicken recipes.....

Here are some of my home-grown recipes. These can all be cooked ahead and frozen.

Stuffed Chicken Cutlets

4 Boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
1 T Parsley, dried
1 C Grated Jarlesburg cheese
4 Slices ham
12 Asparagus stalks
1 Egg, beaten
2 C. Chicken stock (or broth)
C. White wine
2 T Butter
2 T Flour

Pound chicken cutlets so theyre of even thickness.
Layer parsley, Jarlesburg, ham, asparagus.
Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
Roll up cutlet and tie with kitchen string (be sure to tie the ends tight so that filling isnt lost during cooking).
Brush with egg and roll in seasoned breadcrumbs or panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).

Lay chicken rolls seam side down in baking pan that fits the rolls so theyre not crowded.
Add chicken stock and wine to pan (should come up about -inch).
Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

Remove chicken rolls from pan and keep warm.
Melt 2 T. butter in small sauce pan over medium-high heat.
Add flour and stir until lightly golden.
Carefully add the baking pan liquids to the sauce pan and whisk until thickened.

Serve chicken and pass the gravy.

NOTE:
Any type of filling can be used such as bread stuffing.
Also consider using any type of cheese like goat cheese, herbed cream cheese, Fontina, etc.
Additionally, spinach leaves can be used as well as any kind of meat such as prosciutto.

===============================
Chicken Cutlet Parmesan

10 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C. Mayonnaise
1 C. Flavored breadcrumbs
2 C. Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
C. grated Parmesan cheese
2 t. garlic powder
Fresh ground pepper.

2.5 C. Fresh tomato sauce (see below)
1 lb. Mozzarella, sliced into 10 pieces.

Pound cutlets until theyre of even thickness.

Mix flavored breadcrumbs, panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper in a large flat dish.

Taking cutlets one at a time, coat each cutlet with mayonnaise and then dip into breadcrumb mixture and place in baking pan.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until deep golden.
NOTE Can be frozen at this point. Cool completely and freeze. To use, defrost and heat in 350 for 25 minutes, add sauce and mozzarella and heat until cheese is melted.

Take out of oven and spoon C. tomato sauce over each.
Top each cutlet with one slice of mozzarella.
Return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Making ahead:
Cutlets can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake.
Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and cook as directed above.

QUICK TOMATO SAUCE

3 T. Olive oil
3 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 Lg. Can plum tomatoes - whole finest quality you can find
Salt/pepper
10 Leaves fresh basil

Or

2 t. Dried Oregano
2 t. Dried Basil

You can crush the tomatoes before hand, or use a hand-held puree tool as theyre ccooking.

Heat sauce pan, add olive oil.
Heat for a minute, add garlic.

Saute garlic until golden, stir frequently do not allow to burn.

Add tomatoes and puree with an electric puree-er (?) til desired consistency.

Stir, cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
----

If using fresh Basil, wait until sauce has cooked for 10 minutes, then add.
Cook for 5 minutes longer . Serve hot over pasta.

or

If using the dried herbs, they may added with the salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.

==========================
Lemon Chicken

2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
C. Flour
4 T. Butter
C. Canola oil
1 C. Dry white wine
Juice of lemon
1 C. Chicken broth (canned or home made)
8 lemon slices
Whole or chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Pound chicken cutlets to or 1/3 inch thick.
Cut into 2x2 pieces.
Lightly coat with flour.
Heat butter in large skillet.
When bubbly, add oil.
When oil is hot, add chicken pieces in batches so only one layer of chicken is in pan at a time brown lightly on both sides.
Remove chicken and reserve in a baking dish.
When all pieces are browned and removed from pan, add wine and lemon juice to pan.
Scrape up bits on bottom of pan (deglaze).
Bring to a boil, and reduce liquid over high heat, for 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth and reduce for another 3 minutes.
Return chicken to pan.
Top with lemon slices.
Simmer for 5 6 minutes.
Garnish with fresh parsley and additional lemon slices.

If making ahead, store in a baking dish and reheat covered, in oven for 30 minutes at 300 or in a chafing dish.

o

Mike's Stuffed Chicken Breasts

This is a fun recipe for the grill. My wife, family and friends all love it. I made this up when I bought my grill and felt like experimenting. Normally I have to make a recipe five or six times to get it just right; this is the only recipe I've invented and gotten perfect the first time.

I make enough to fill an 18" diameter grill; this usually works out to 16 meals. Leftovers are great sliced for sandwiches, but let them warm up, or toast them. The flavor hides when it's cold.

8 boneless skinless split chicken breasts
1/4 cup fresh parsley or spinach, diced
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons bell pepper, diced (orange ones are prettiest in this)
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 capful lemon juice (1/2 tablespoon?)
2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
2 tablespoons sweet barbeque sauce
1/2 cup Asiago cheese (if you don't know it, it's like a sharp Parmasean)
Lemon pepper seasoning

Dice up the vegetables, shred the cheese, mix in all other ingredients except the chicken and the lemon pepper.

Cut a pocket in each breast, slicing along one side. Stuff the breasts, then seal them with 4" skewers. I found small skewers and string sold as "turkey laces" in my grocery store, and threw away the string.

Sprinkle the outsides of the chicken with the lemon pepper, then toss on a medium-high grill. I cook for 8 minutes, turn, and cook 8 more. The stuffing keeps the insides moist while the outside crisps up.

o

Grand daughters chicken recipe:
Heat oven to 350*
6 chicken breat halves
1 or 2 cans of of diced tomatoes - Italian ( I use Red Gold)
I pkg of Italian dressing made acording to directions
box of angel hair pasta
Make salad dressing set aside. Arange chicken, cut into bit size pieces, in a 9 by what ever oven dish. Pour dressing overchicken cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and return to over for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with hot bread and a salad and enjoy. It's easy great tasting and you can freeze any left overs... if you have any. I fix enough to eat and freeze for several meals.

o

Have you checked out epicurious.com? I don't do OAMC, but I do like to make double batches and freeze the extra. There are tons of great chicken recipes on that site!

o

Mexican Chicken
2 16 ounce bags Nacho chips
3quarts stewed tomatoes
1 can chopped green chilies(more if you like hot)
1 16 oz sour cream
2 cans cream chicken soup
4 cups cheddar chese shredded
2 whole chickens deboned--or you may use cooked chopped chicken breast
mix tomatoes, green chilies, sourcream, chicken soup--crush chips and layer in 18 by10 pan--chips then sauce, chicken cheese--continue till full--bake until bubbly about 30 min

o

Hi,

Chicken Stew

Chicken - deboned and defatted bite sized (skinless breasts)
Potatos - boiled and cut into bites
Mixed vegtables - maybe frozen maybe not
Cream of something soup - mushroom, broccoli, onion
Milk or water for thinning

Pretty much just mix together and heat until the chicken cooks all the way. I like to boil my potatos first or they can make things pretty starchy. Cream of Mushroom is probably the most common that I use but other cream soups make for tasty variations. Throw in some mushrooms if that sound good to you. Thin it with milk or water until it seems right for you... to thin just call it soup! Adjust quantities to meet your needs. Just what vegtables you use is up to your tastes, I use corn, peas, carrots, and onions.

Makes a white stew. Serve with biscuits and black tea. Garnish with course ground pepper and salt to taste.

down on the farm,
michael

I also prepare this using rabbit meat.

o

Chicken&Rice

Ingredients
4 Chicken Breasts, cut
1 box Uncle Ben's Seasoned Rice, Original
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup

Place chicken in crockpot. Add rice and seasoning, with as much water as indicated in the rice directions, plus 1/2 cup. Add cream of chicken soup.
Cook on low for 4 hours.

OR, instead of adding rice, add 1/2 package of Boursin cheese.

Chicken Fingers

Ingredients
Corn flake crumbs 1/3 cup
Pecans 1/2 cup finely chopped
Salt 1/8 teaspoon
Chicken Breasts 12 ounces cut into strips
Milk 2 tablespoons

In a shallow dish, combine cornflake crumbs, pecans, parsley, salt and garlic powder. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumb mixture. Place in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.

o

Angel Chicken

6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup butter
2 (0.7 oz) pkgs. Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
1 cup dry white wine
8 oz. tub cream cheese with chives & onion
Hot cooked angel hair pasta

Place chicken in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart electric crockery cooker. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the dry Italian salad dressing mix. Stir in mushroom soup, white wine, and cream cheese until combined. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Serve chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta. Makes 6 servings

King Ranch Chicken

1/4 cup butter
1 medium red pepper seeded and diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans (4 oz dr.wt.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
2 (16 oz) jars Pace picante sauce (mild or medium)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese blend
1 tsp chili powder (mild)
1 tsp. garlic powder
20 corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces
3 cups cubed cooked chicken (can buy chicken breast and just boil until cooked)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 13x9" pan; set aside. In large saucepan, melt butter and saut onions and red pepper until tender. Add mushrooms and saut additional 2 minutes. Add soup and seasonings, Pace picante, and chicken. Heat and stir until well blended. Spoon some of the sauce (just enough to barely cover the bottom of the 13x9" pan. Over this, scatter 1/3 of the torn tortillas, 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/3 of the cheese; repeat twice, with cheese on top. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. May cover with foil if the cheese over browns.
Serves 8 to 10
Serve with salad and rolls.

o

Check out my site below since it offers several recipes that call for chicken.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anita's Tried & True Recipes

o

Not a chicken recipe but since you mentioned trying meat loaf... here is a link to the best recipe for meat loaf I have ever had.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meat Loaf recipe.. CookingLight.com

o

Here are two of my favorites. I don't go by a recipe with them, so I will try to do the best I can.

Chicken Spectacular-Mix all of the following together. 2 boxes of cooked wild rice, 4 o 5 boiled, deboned, and shredded chicken breasts, 2 cans of drained french style greenbeans, 1 can drained sliced water chestnuts, 1 c. chopped onion, 1 jar drained mushrooms, 1 to 2 cans of cream of celery, 1 c. mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I have used low fat soup and mayo, and it is still good. Place in a casserole dish and bake until warm throughout, or freeze.

Rotel Chicken-I know everyone probably knows this recipe, but just in case, here goes. Boil, debone, and shred 5-6 chicken breasts. Cool and scrape fat off the top of the broth. Bring broth back to boil, and boil 1 large package of spaghetti noodles until done (not too done). Drain the noodles, and I save a little of the broth. Put the noodles back in the pot on medium low and add about 3/4 of a large block of Velveeta (cut in pieces) 2 cans of drained rotel tomatoes, 1 can drained sliced mushrooms, 1 to 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, and the shredded chicken. Stir all together until cheese is melted. If it is too thick, add a little broth. This is great to freeze. Sometimes I add a can of english peas.

I know you were looking for more low cal, but a little serving of these with a fresh green salad, and some fruit is all you need.

o

My favorite chicken receipe is pretty simple, but guests love it. And you can make it in any amount you want!

3 parts mayo
1 part grated Parmesan
1/2 part Dijon mustard

Mix, and slather on top of chicken breasts (works nicely on fish, too.) Bake the chicken on a rack over a pan and cook at 350 for about 20 minutes, until the crust browns and bubbles.

The sauce makes a wonderful cheesy, spicy crust, and keeps the chicken very moist.

o

Alison, this sounds very good and easy. Thanks, I'll definitely try it, it sounds like a combination of flavors that we will like!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here