Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite family recipe?

Posted by
RuthieG in MA
(RuthieG@mediaone.net) on
Sat, Mar 31, 01 at 8:01

OK lets have your family's favorite recipe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite family recipe?

My family loves tacos. I make mine like my mom did, which is nothing like regular people eat it. First, I deepfry the corn tortillas-crisp. I then boil, yes I said boil the hamberger meat in alot of garlic salt, which is drained before serving. I cut up lettuce, and tomatoes, and shred cheese. I just serve everything in it's own bowl, and they help themselves.
Everyone eats theirs different tho. I lay a tortilla down and load it in layers. My DH crumbles his shell up and makes a salad, and the kids don't use the shell only to dip in the meat mixture. It sounds gross I know ( boiling the meat) but it is good.

o

well, we have several favorites, but this one is especially good. Dh really loves it and i do too. you can put it into two containers if you have a smaller family, because the recipe makes alot.

Baked Spaghetti

1 Cup chopped onion
1 Cup chopped green pepper
1 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes with liquid
1 can (4oz.) mushroom drained
1 can (2 1/4 oz) sliced ripe olives, drained
2 teas. dried oregano
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
12 oz. spaghetti, cooked and drained
2 Cups (8oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender.
Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and oregano.
Add meat.
Simmer uncovered for 10 min.
Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13x9x2 in. baking dish.
Top with half of the vegetable mixture.
Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Repeat layers.
Mix the soup with water until smooth; pour over casserole.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered, at 350 deg. for 30-35 min. or until heated through

12 servings.

o

Boy that sounds good...Have you frozen it and reheated ...Is this an OAMC recipe?

Here is one of our favorites

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

1 cup Onions -- diced
1 cup Green Bell Peppers -- diced
1/2 pound Mushrooms
1/4 cup Butter or Margarine
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 pound Cheddar Cheese -- shredded
2 cups Chicken -- cooked and diced
1 can Tomatoes with Green Chilis
1 clove Garlic -- minced
2 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Chicken Broth
12 Corn Tortillas -- torn into quarters

In a large pan, saute onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms in butter, Add
soups, tomatoes & chilies, garlic, chili powder, and chicken broth. Line
bottom of a 9x13 inch pan with pieces of tortillas. Spread half the chicken over the tortillas and top with half of the sauce, then
half of the cheese. Cover with another layer of torn corn tortillas, and repeat the chicken, sauce and cheese layers. Bake at 350
degrees F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 6

I got this off of a web site maybe Deb's just can't remember but it is good.

o

This is so hard because I have to have exact measurements for my "feed the animals" recipes. I call them that because I always made huge amounts of good cheap eats for us and all of the kids. This is a great new forum and I will try to share some of the good stuff that my kids always ask for now when we all get together with all the grandkids. The problem really is - what were the exact amounts? Mostly you just cook, taste, cook, and taste again. I will start with the chicken and lazy noodles in a post soon. Also, there is the "shut up and eat it casserole".

o

oh roberta! can't wait for those recipes! LOL!
ruthie, about the recipe. i don't remember if it's an OMAC recipe or not, but i doubled the whole thing and got four meals out of it. i did cook it all and then portioned it out and froze it. they were VERY good reheated. tasted like i had just made it. :-)
that chicken casserole sounds good too. we love mexican food around here!

o

I don;t know that this would freeze well--but would be good to make a double batch and reheat for lunch. My girlfriend who died last year made THE best Macaroni and Cheese I have ever eaten. She did not use measurements--so change it around to suit yourself.

Julia;s DELICIOUS Macaroni and Cheese

4 cups cooked macaroni
Sauteed onions--to taste
Bacon--cooked and crumbled--to taste
1 1/2 cups (or so) crushed saltine or Ritz crackers
LOTS of grated cheddar cheese

Butter a casserole dish.

In a bowl--add 1 c. milk and 1/2 flour--stir until mixed thoughly.

Layer all the ingredients and add last layer of cracker crumbs and cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.

It is so yummy--we hardly ever have leftovers

o

quick lazagna
2 jars of spaghetti sauce, mix in a large container of cottage cheese (and sour cream if you have some) into a bowl with a spout. slice cheese then quarter slices, I use half medium cheddar and mozzerella. Put some of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan then layer dry lazagna noodles pour on more sauce then a layer of the cheese keep layering finishing with cheese. pour a cup of water around the edges cover with foil and bake at 350 for one hour take off the foil and brown. very important let stand at least 10 min. To set up or you'll have lazagna slop

o

My family has dwindled down to just me, so I don't do much large-scale cooking...just cook what and when I like. But I tend to make a huge pot of whatever and eat on it until it's gone.
One family favorite is recipe for Macaroni & Cheese
(please excuse not posting measurements. The original recipe had them but I don't need them. The ex couldn't find the measuring cup once to measure the water for boiling the macaroni, so he couldn't fix it! DUH! LOL!)

Macaroni and Cheese
Cook elbow macaroni until done (or just slightly underdone)
Drain and put into large baking dish, sprayed with Pam. Stir in:
One large can tomatoes (cut-up whole tomatoes or diced)
Cheddar cheese, cut into smallish pieces (the cat knows when I take the cheese from the fridge, and he insists I give him a tiny piece)
A couple of dollops of margerine
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Stir the tomatoes, cheese, margerine, and salt/pepper into the cooked macaroni.
Put more sliced cheese on top, if desired
Bake at 400 deg. until cheese melts - better if you can wait until it the cheese turns a bit brown and crusty around the edges.
This is wonderful reheated.
I've tried adding in extras, such as onion and/or bacon. Not the same thing.

Hope you enjoy this as much as my family and I do!
--ann

o

I haven't ever had to freeze this because we eat it all if not that night, within the next few days. It is my fiance's family recipe. They call it Hamburg, Noodles and Mashed Potatoes. You brown ground beef, cook noddles and make mashed poatoes (we use instant when we're in a hurry. Put the hamburg in a pot and add water and some beef broth or we add a brown gravy packet (it will be more like a broth than a gravy). If I have carrots or celery in the fridge that need used, I chop them up and add some but I always add lots of chopped onion. Then add the noddles to this mixture and stir around. Let this cook together for just awhile to get the flavor in the noddles. Put mashed potatoes on your plate and top with the hamburg and noodles. It is a VERY filling meal. I like to save some for my son and I for lunch the next day and when I heat it up I add a little more water and maybe some broth to the hamburg and noddles because it tends to soak in overnight.

*For even a quicker way to make it use Hamburger Helper Beef Noddle. Just don't let it sit long enough so that the sauce thickens up too much!

o

Ruthie's receipe is quite popular here in my area. If you want a real treat, give it a try.

jt

o

Found this Pepper steak recipe that sounds wonderful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Steak

o

I have 2 family favorites made from one cut of meat. The first is simple yet delicious and tender "Crockpot Roast Beef" and the second is made with the leftovers and is called "Easy Beef Stroganoff".

Crockpot Roast Beef
one 4-5lb. rump roast
one can Campbell's French Onion Soup (undiluted)
two bay leaves
1. Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 8- 10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
2. Serve with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and pickled beets. Enjoy!

"Easy Beef Stroganoff"
One lb. or so leftover roast beef cubed with leftover onion broth
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp. salt or less
dash pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup lite sour cream or yogurt
medium wide noodles
1. Place cubed beef with any leftover onion broth in large skillet with ketchup, broth and spices.
2.Simmer for 10 minutes or so.
3.While meat is simmering cook the noodles.
4 Serve meat mixture over noodles, we usually have steamed green beans and fresh fruit salad with this entree.

Once the meat mixture simmers for 10 minutes you can freeze this for later and all you need to do is thaw, reheat and cook your noodles. My very picky son likes both of these recipes, The french onion soup adds a lot of flavor to the beef.

o

Lucinda, your macaroni and cheese recipe sounds great. But what do you do with the flour and milk? Pour it all over the casserole once you've layered everything?

o

Lindy-
yes on the macaroni and cheese recipe==pour the flour and milk mixture over the layers. it helps "bind" it together. you can;t go away from this meal hungry!!

o
My 'family's' favourite recipe

Recipe for:
Fried chicken wings(finger licking good!!!)
ingredients:
2kg chicken wings
[seasoning]:
Oyster sauce (4 tbsp)
Soy sauce (8 tbsp)
Ground white pepper (generous sprinkling)
sesame oil (2 tbsp)
sugar (2 tbsp)
honey (2 tbsp)

Method:
1) Marinate chicken wings with [seasoning] for at least 6 hours for taste to really seep in. Amount can be adjusted to suit individual taste.
2) Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan until its really hot and then put the marinated chicken wings inside.
Cook with medium heat so as not to burn chicken before the insides are cooked.Fry chicken until the chicken skin feels slightly crunchy.(approx 10 to 20 mins)
Tips: Break chicken wing into two parts:wing and drumstick to facilitate frying and to fry more at once, break the joints in the chicken wing so that they can be more easily arranged.
This dish is great served with rice or with wedges and vegetables or just by itself as a snack or as an accompaniment for beer!
Serves 4 to 5.

o

This is a recipe that my family literally will fight over. It makes a delicious gravy (what they fight over) and absolutely nothing to making it.I double the recipe and there is still none left at the end of the meal.

No Peek Casserole

2 lbs stew meat ( i use 3 lbs)
1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup Gingerale
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Comebine ALL ingredients (DO NOT brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water) together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours. DON't PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoe's. The smell as it's cooking is WONDERFUL

o

Thanks for all the great recipes. Can't wait to try some.
For Seamer about the Tacos, sounds like you make Tostadas instead of tacos. In order to make hard tacos you prepare the meat first, warm the corn tortilla over the open fire or on a skillet, put some meat in the middle and fry the taco in some oil until crisp. If you like a more precise recipe, let me know. Try these tostadas. Either buy canned re-fried beans or cook pinto beans until done. Smash the beans (if using dry beans), add salt to taste, freshly ground pepper, mashed or powder garlic and fry in a little oil for about 5 minutes. Fry the corn tortillas until crisp, spread some of the beans and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, avocadoes and Mexican cheese, and don't forget the Mexican Salsa.
Bon Appetit
Angie

o

Flautas: They are a rolled taquito with either shredded chicken/beef or ground beef, served with a spicy tomatoe "dipping" sauce", guacamole, salsa or any topping you prefer.

NOTE: When using corn tortillas, always warm on a hot plate prior to frying them. This way they are softend and pliable.

Ingredients:
Sauce: Canned whole tomatoes (not stewed)
1 garlic clove
Chopped onion
Pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Oregano
"El Pato" tomato sauce (spicy tomatoe sauce) to taste
Combine all into blender and blend. Place into sauce pan & simmer on low to incorporate all flavors.

Taquitos: Shredded meat of your preference
Corn tortillas
Vegetable oil

Heat oil in pan. Warm corn tortillas, stuff/roll with meat, and deep fry. Drain. Top with whatever topping.

These are great for kid finger foods, party hors devours (sp), or snacks. Cut in half prior to frying, and double your output. They freeze really well also.

o

Porcupine Meatballs are always a hit and so easy:

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1/2t. garlic powder
3/4 c. white rice
Mix together and form into meatballs-- broil until browned.

Make sauce of 15oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 can of water
1/2 c. brown sugar
1TBS. worchestershire

Add meatball to sauce and simmer almost 1hr. until meatballs are glazed and rice is tender.. enjoy!

o

• Posted by
    Betty Hoenstine
    (betty@pig.net) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 01 at 19:54

I enjoyed reading all these recipes. I will try most of them.
If you need to fix something in 15 minutes this is a quickie. But you must like hot food. Not stove hot but seasoned hot.
Buy a box of Kradt macaroni and cheese and a can of Rotel Mild diced tomatoes and chilies.
Cook macaroni and fix according to the directions as to the directions on the box. Instead of adding the milk...add the 10 oz can of the Rotel Mild diced tomatoes and chilies. I add about a 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar (optionable)
If you like things seasoned hot. You will enjoy this.
Serve it with cole slaw or a lettuce salad.
Enjoy!
Betty in Florida
betty@pig.net

o

That no peek casserole looks great. I am very receptive to recipes that call for throwing in a baking dish and baking in the oven. That is about my level of expertise. Thanks, I am looking forward to trying it.

o

oops. I need to ask --- I do not see Campbells Chicken and Mushroom- only Cream of chicken and mushroom. Maybe it is not quite the right time of year, but which one is it for the stew?

o

I'm sorry. Yes it is Cream of Chicken-Mushroom soup for the No Peek Casserole

o
Another Winning Crockpot Roast Beef

Another Winning Crockpot Roast Beef
one 4-5lb. rump roast
one can Campbell's French Onion Soup (undiluted)
one can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup (undiluted)
one can Campbell's Cheedar Cheese Soup (undiluted)
1 lb. carrots (peeled and cut-up)
3-4 potates (peeled and cut-up)
1 onion (sliced)~optional

1. Stir the soups together.
2. Place vegtables at bottom of crockpot, meat next, pour the combined soup over all the ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 8- 10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
Mm-Mm Good!

o

My family loves elbow mac and tomatos. Cook mac . In large skillet brown ground beef about 1 1/2 lbs, saute onions bell peppers and celery.about 1/2 cup each. I use the grease from the beef for sauting vegs,drain salt and pepper garlie powder to vegs.0PEN sPEGETTI SAUCE. Start to layer mac sauce meat then vegs .Keep latering until all items are gone. Bake 20 mins 350. Sprinkle grated cheese on top bake until cheese melts. Serve with salad and garlic toast and ice tea.Joyce

o

I'm not too fond of onions.
If I were to make the NO PEEK CASSEROLE, what could I substitute for the package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix?
Any ideas?

o

There are several dry soup mixes in the grocery. Try beefy mushroom or golden mushroom.

o

Just finished the no peek stew. It is awesome! Thanks. I could not get cream of chickn and mushroom, so I used cream of chicken, and put in a can of mushrooms.... HEAVENLY thank you again!

o

New one here, but I thought I would share. I would have to say my families favorite recipe is my Chicken Enchiladas.

Chicken Enchiladas

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
8 oz cream cheese
1 can chopped chilies
1 large can cream of chicken soup
1 small can cream of chicken soup
milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas
salsa

Preheat oven to 450. Cube chicken breasts (1") and pan fry in cooking spray. Drain and set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine large can of soup, sour cream, 1 1/2 cups cheese, chilies, and chicken. Mix well. Place generous amounts of mixture into center of each tortilla and roll. Place rolls into 9X13 foil lined pan. Spread the remaining cheese over rolls. In same bowl add remaining cheese, small can of soup and one can of milk using the small soup can. Mix well. Pour mixture over cheese. Bake till hearted threw. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Great with salsa.

My kids and hubby love this. Also I use the low adn fat free items in it adn it doesn't compremise the taste at all.

o

Wow! I have been at this site for only about 15 minutes and already have 5 new recipes to try that sound easy enough to meet the level of effort I want to expend. Thanks all!

o

This is our absolute favorite recipe...and easy!!

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 jar of picante sauce
3 tbs. brown sugar
1 tbs. dijon mustard

Wash & rinse chicken. Put in 8x8 baking dish. Mix picante sauce, brown sugar and mustard in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Bake at 375 for 30-35 min, or until chicken is done. This is very forgiving...you can easily cook 40 min. and chicken will be okay. Serve with rice and refrieds.

o
RE: Favorite family recipe-spinach pie

I am new to this forum but have already printed many, many (did I say Many?!) recipes. Here's one of our favorites - 5 minutes to put together, 1 hour and a bit to cook - reheats well for lunches. - You can use it as a side dish or a complete meal - add diced chicken.

1 16 oz package frozen, chopped spinach (no need to thaw if in a bag just bang to break it up - the boxed spinach needs to be thawed and drained)
2 cups raw rice
4 cups liquid - all milk or milk/water mixed - can use chicken broth if you want
8-12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste - add at least a bit of salt or it will be flat

mix all ingredients in casserole dish and bake at 350-375 for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes.

We call it "Spinach Pie" and it doesn't usually last past one meal in our house - if I'm lucky I get to take it for lunch the next day.

o

This first one, Sweet Potato Turkey Casserole is excellent for whenever you have leftover turkey (chicken, ham or tuna) and leftover sweet potatoes. There are many different ways this can be prepared by just varying the meat and condensed "cream of" soup. The recipe doubles, triples and quadruples easily and freezes up perfectly.
Sweet Potato Turkey Casserole
3-4 Tbs Butter or margarine
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1-28 oz can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed (equal amount of fresh baked may be substituted)
1/2 c chopped onion, fresh or frozen
1/2 c celery
1 Tbs butter or margarine
2 c cut up turkey
1-10 3/4 oz can Campbell's condensed Cheedar Cheese soup
1-16 oz package mixed vegetables
Beat first 3 ingredients with 1/4 tsp salt into sweet potatoes and mash. Line a 9 inch pie plate with sweet potato mixture, building up edges 1/2 inch. Cook onion and celery in 1 Tbs butter or margarine until almost tender. Mix together onion, celery, turkey, undiluted soup, mixed vegetables and spoon into sweet potato shell. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or freeze for later use. Makes 4 teen size servings or 6 regular size servings. Serve with biscuits and cranberry sauce.

o
RE: Favorite family recipe? II

Here is a recipe that I always double if taking to a pot luck. I have been making it for nearly 25 years.
Sweet and Sour Beef Stew
2- 2 1/2 lbs stewing beef
2-3 Tbs cooking oil
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 c shredded carrot
1 large thinly sliced onion
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
2 Tbs Worcheestershire Sauce
3 Tbs Cornstarch (may need adjustment slightly)
Hot cooked noodles

Brown meat in the oil. Add 1/2 c water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook meat over low heat with water in a lidded pan until meat becomes slightly tender, about 60 minutes, adding extra water as it cooks out. (This step does very well in a crock pot or pressure cooker also). Add carrots, onion, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, worchestershire sauce and 1/2 cup water and continue to cook until meat is very tender (about 1 hour) stirring occassionally. When meat is very tender and vegetables thoroughly cooked add 3 Tbs cornstarch to 2/3 c water and add 1/2 of mixture to beef mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes. If you want mixture to be thicker gradually add cornstarch and water mixture until desired consistancy is aquired. (I prefer this sauce to be slightly thicker than gravy). Serve over hot cooked noodles. Serves 6

o

Easy chicken recipes - I make two at a time and freeze one:

Orange sauce (Ruth, did you try this one?):
Two cups orange juice
6 cups water
2 tbsp dijon honey-mustard
a few "shakes" soy sauce
garlic (optional- for taste)

Lemon sauce:
1 cup lemon juice
7 cups water
4 tbsp honey
Parsley

Mix up whichever sauce you'd like (or enough for one of each) in a baking pan. Add 4 cups uncooked white rice, and 4-5 chicken breasts (uncooked). Cover, bake at 350 for 1 hour 30 min. Serve with lightly boiled or steamed veggies, top with shredded cheese (Cheddar & American work great). Super easy, quick, and very flavorful. :-)

Creamy Spaghetti Cassarole

Spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente
your favorite spaghetti sauce with meat (browned burger, meatballs or chicken)
Sour cream (1/3-1/2 cup)

Mix all together in baking dish, freeze. Reheat at 350 degrees until very hot. :-)

o

to the top.
this is a great thread, and with back to school time and fall weather approaching I think we all could use a little help.

o

Oh this is a nice thread with some great recipes.

One of our family favorites is Southern Chicken & Dumplings:
Whole chicken -remove innards & parts from cavity
and wash chicken, place into a large stew pot
Add: 2 stalks of celery - cleaned & cut in half
2 carrots - scraped, washed & cut in half
1 turnip root - peel & wash
1 med. yellow onion - peel & wash
Optional: 1 leek -wash & clean, slice white
part into rounds
Add sea salt to taste

Simmer for about 1-1/2 hr., remove vegetables & discard,
remove chicken to cool (it will have to be heat friendly so that the meat can be removed from the bones - discard bones & skin

While the chicken is cooling add frozen dumplings to the stew pot broth (make sure you have a rolling boil). Add black pepper, lower heat to a simmer, cover with lid and let cook about 45 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking or clumping. Add chicken in the last five minutes of cooking.

Note: I no longer make homemade dumplings but use the frozen kind that can be normally found in the freezer section where pie crusts & frozen biscuits are kept.

o

I have never heard of frozen dumplings but i do love chicken and dumplings and make them often. I am going to look for frozen ones this week.

o

Once again, trying to get this active again. There is a post a few back for No Peek Stew- it was wonderful. I am hoping to get this thread out and about!

o

No Peek Stew! Wasn't it the best!!!! I have had to write to Ruthie a few times to get it again b/c I couldn't find it. Now it's on my 'puter forever.
mmmmmmmmm....nooo peeek!
gail
PS adding veggies next time

o

FYI the beloved no peek stew is on this very thread. just scroll up.(April 7)I printed it out so I have it.

o

My husband and I love this, and it's so easy. We call it "Chicken McNicken".

Chicken McNicken

2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey (can use canned chicken, drained.)
1 box Stovestop cornbred stuffing
1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
Grated parmesan cheese

Defrost 2 cups of broccoli in microwave per package instructions. Prepare the stuffing in microwave according to directions. In a small casserole, layer a third of the stuffing, followed by a layer of broccoli and a layer of chicken. Repeat layers until finished with final layer of stuffing. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Either bake covered in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or use your microwave and follow its main dish instructions. Serve with canned cranberry sauce and either canned or homemade yams. This should probably serve 4, but 2 people make short work of it in our house...

o

Brick Chili
10 lb. chili meat
3 large onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2/3 c. chili powder
4 Tbsp. cumin
1 (30 oz.) can your favorite Chili sauce

In large kettle combine meat, onions, salt, pepper and
garlic powder. Simmer on medium-low heat about 3 hours. Add
rest of ingredients and simmer about 1 hour longer. Put into
freezer containers and freeze. When ready to use, use as is or
add beans as desired.

o

This one is from my favorite aunt, now deceased.

Aunt Mickey's Rice Casserole

Fix two cups of rice per box recipe.

Add 1 package of sour cream, one package of cream cheese and on can diced chili peppers, stir until well mixed.

Pour 1/2 of mixture into baking dish sprayed with PAM. Add layer of grated cheese of choice (cheddar or Mexican jack if you like it hotter) add the rest of the rice and top with another layer of cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and heated through.

Quick, easy, and there is NEVER any left at family get togethers or pot lucks:-)

o

Just me and DH, and his all time favorite is chicken cutlet parmesan with angelhair pasta.

The following recipe feeds a crowd, but is easily scaled.

BAKED CHICKEN CUTLET PARMESAN

10 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C. Mayonnaise
1 C. Flavored breadcrumbs
2 C. Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
C. grated Parmesan cheese
2 t. garlic powder
Fresh ground pepper.

2.5 C. Fresh tomato sauce (see below)
1 lb. Mozzarella, sliced into 10 pieces.

Pound cutlets until theyre of even thickness.

Mix flavored breadcrumbs, panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper in a large flat dish.

Taking cutlets one at a time, coat each cutlet with mayonnaise and then dip into breadcrumb mixture and place in baking pan.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until deep golden.

Take out of oven and spoon C. tomato sauce over each.
Top each cutlet with one slice of mozzarella.
Return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Making ahead:
Cutlets can be prepared ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking and cook as directed above.

OR

Baked, un-sauced cutlets can be frozen then thawed and heated (covered) in a 300F oven for 25 minutes. You can then add sauce and mozzarella.

QUICK TOMATO SAUCE - Cookingrvc
3 T. Olive oil
3 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 Lg. Can whole plum tomatoes finest quality you can find (Trader Joes are very good)
Salt/pepper
1 t. Dried Oregano
2 t. Dried Basil

You can crush the tomatoes before hand, or use a hand-held mixer, as theyre cooking.

Heat sauce pan, add olive oil.
Heat for a minute, add garlic.

Saute garlic until golden, stir frequently do not allow to burn.

Add tomatoes and puree with an electric puree-er (?) til desired consistency.

Stir, cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
Add herbs, and salt/pepper to taste.
Cook for 5 minutes longer . Serve hot over pasta.

o

Just found this thread, luv-it!! Please continue to post!
Don't have time to chit-chat, I am going to be busy in the kitchen!
Thanks a bunch!
What a wonderful idea!

o

bump

o

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesy Mexican Chicken

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Chicken Breasts
Freezer-Friendly

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3 cups corn chips
10 3/4 ounces cream of chicken soup, condensed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese -- divided
1 1/4 ounces taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
hot cooked rice

Place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish. Mix soup, 1 1/2 cups of cheese,
milk, and seasoning mix. Spoon over chicken. Top with chips; cover.
Bake at 375F for 30 minutes. Remove cover; top with remaining 1/2 cup
cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve
with rice.

Freezing plan: Mix chicken soup, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, milk and seasoning
and put in bag. Bag corn chips and remaining cheese in separate baggies
and bag together with chicken in a large Ziploc bag. Freeze. When ready
to serve, defrost and assemble and bake as above.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 461 Calories; 24g Fat (47.0%
calories from fat); 40g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 113mg
Cholesterol; 1233mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

o

Hi everyone.......Just thought I would pop in and say hello.....I have tried many of these recipes and thank you all for sharing. I still use my crockpot at least a couple of times per week. My husband (and me too) just love the way meat cooks in them. The thing that I cook most is chicken.....I am trying to stay away from red meat a little.....Anyway....I saute chicken breasts until golden and throw them in the pot with a couple of cans of soup....what ever I happen to have on hand and serve it over rice or noodles or even with potatoes. I rarely make it exactly the same everytime.....sometimes lots of onions or garlic or both...sometimes I toss is a few whole potatoes....Love that crockpot.

o

Medium rare eye round roast, mashed or baked potatoe, broccoli with cheese sauce, rich brown gravy with biscuits.
All the little trimmings, horseradish, sourcream and butter.
Maybe a whiskeysour!?

o

My mom made "hamburger casserol" when we were kids... I loved it, and have made many variations.

1.5 lbs ground chuck (i use @ 2 lbs)browned. and i brown mine in water as well, with what ever spices i like, as the grease drains off much better, my sister even rinses hers.
1 large white onion, diced and browned with ground chuck
1 can of cream of mushroom added to the beef mixture after browned and drained.
3 large potatoes pealed and sliced in scallops

I have added green onion, fresh mushrooms, bell peppers to the ground chuck while browning, what ever your taste's are...

in a 9x13 pan layer potatoes and beef mixture. bake at 350 for about 45 min... or the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork.

Now.. my husband will eat anything with cheese on it, so sometimes i add about a cup of shredded cheddar to the top in the last 20 min.
i make a green veggie to serve with, and that's dinner..

o

I have another to post as it is one of my all time favorites. I just can't get enough of the rich taste of braised beef short ribs. I couldn't even describe the taste if I wanted to - just sublime.

Here's the last recipe I used. Note: Dieters beware - this is very rich!

BRAISED SHORT RIBS OF BEEF

Serves 4

3 T. Flour
2 t. Salt
Pepper to taste
2 t. Rosemary
4 lbs. Beef short ribs, rinsed and dried
Vegetable oil
1 C. Chopped onions
C Chopped celery
2 C. Chicken stock boiling (can substitute chicken broth)

Preheat oven to 300.
Combine flour, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
Dredge ribs in seasoned flour.
In skillet, heat 2 T. oil and add onions and celery, saut for 5 minutes.

Transfer vegetables to heavy Dutch oven with lid.
Add 2 T. oil to skillet and brown ribs on all sides.
Add extra oil as needed.

Transfer ribs to Dutch oven.
Add boiling chicken stock to ribs and cover tightly.

*Bake 2.5 hours.
Skim off excess fat and reduce gravy until thickened.

*Alternatively: Simmer ribs slowly on stove top.

o

BEST EVER SHEPARDS PIE

5 LBS OF MASHED POTATOES SET ASIDE ( I like lots )

1 lb. ground beef browned and drained
1 large onion minced ( i use food processor)
2 cups carrots chopped semi coarse fine ( food processor)
2 cups celery chopped semi coarse or fine (food processor)
1 can beef broth
1 cup water
1 can peas or niblets corn drained, or frozen
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon beef in a mug powder or similar

combine all the ingredients except potatoes and corn/peas
and cook on medium heat until carrots/celery cooked and mixture softens, you may add 1 cup of water during cooking.
Cook about 20-30 minutes

*important...thicken this mixture with a melted butter/cornstarch or flour roux, about 1/3 cups worth, otherwise the
pie will be runny when you cut servings.. also the butter adds to the flavor.

spread hot mixture into large lasagna pan and sprinkle with drained niblets corn or peas.
top with mashed potatoes, smoothed out with fork and drizzle melted butter over if desired.

bake in oven at 450 for 35 minutes till lightly browned on top.

Top with your favorite gravy, homemade or canned.. and any side dish you like.. keeps well in fridge.. can be frozen for short period.

o

Just wanted to say I tried Ann's No Peek Casserole tonite.. and it was great.. a keeper... so easy to make..
I had to substitute Campbells Golden Mushroom soup for chicken and mushroom..
and I threw in a few leftover slices of carrots and mushrooms..

I'll give it 10 out of 10 spoons

o
RE: Favorite family recipe? beans and burger

Hi,

This is fast and easy kid food at its finest.

Beans & Hamburger

Burger
Pork & Beans or Baked Beans
Sugar or Brown Sugar or Molasses or Maple Syrup

Preparation goes something like this. Throw chunk of frozen burger into large frying pan adding a little water and covering so that it can begin to cook. Yell at kids to finish homework, put load of wash in, and put catfood in dish. Return to stove to scrape meat off of frozen chunk as it cooks. Repeat yelling and laundry related tasks. When all the meat has cooked drain the water and excess fat. Add a can or two of beans and stir in sweetener to taste. While that is warming nuke some frozen corn and put bread & butter on the table. Yell at kids to go wash hands while setting plates on the table. Serve with a big glass of cold milk.

Very filling and never met a kid that didn't like it. My most frequent complaint is that I didn't make it sweet enough (baked beans helps this problem). I like mine with lots of salt and pepper, sometimes a little hot sauce. Most any kind of sweetener can be used but maple syrup is my favorite. To get fancy for grown-up dinner guests use "13 bean mix" and add a little tomato sauce to make "calico beans". Most of the time I go about 50/50 with the burger to bean ratio but whatever you have or make will probably work just fine. Chunked up hotdogs can be substituted for burger in a pinch.

Stash any leftovers for your lunch tomorrow as it heat up in the microwave tasting better then fresh made.

: )
michael

o

My mother-in-law passed these on to me. All are fabulous--especially the first one.

Angel Chicken

6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup butter
2 (0.7 oz) pkgs. Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
1 cup dry white wine
8 oz. tub cream cheese with chives & onion
Hot cooked angel hair pasta

Place chicken in a 3 1/2 to 4 quart electric crockery cooker. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the dry Italian salad dressing mix. Stir in mushroom soup, white wine, and cream cheese until combined. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Serve chicken and sauce over hot cooked pasta. Makes 6 servings

King Ranch Chicken

1/4 cup butter
1 medium red pepper seeded and diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans (4 oz dr.wt.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
2 (16 oz) jars Pace picante sauce (mild or medium)
4 cups grated cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese blend
1 tsp chili powder (mild)
1 tsp. garlic powder
20 corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces
3 cups cubed cooked chicken (can buy chicken breast and just boil until cooked)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 13x9" pan; set aside. In large saucepan, melt butter and saut onions and red pepper until tender. Add mushrooms and saut additional 2 minutes. Add soup and seasonings, Pace picante, and chicken. Heat and stir until well blended. Spoon some of the sauce (just enough to barely cover the bottom of the 13x9" pan. Over this, scatter 1/3 of the torn tortillas, 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/3 of the cheese; repeat twice, with cheese on top. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. May cover with foil if the cheese over browns.
Serves 8 to 10
Serve with salad and rolls.

Bean Salsa

2 cans Black eyed Peas - Rinsed & Drained
2 tomatoes - chopped fine
6-8 green onions - chopped
2 cloves garlic - crushed
1 mediums red pepper - chopped
1 can green chilies
1/2 cup parsley - chopped
8 oz bottle Italian salad dressing

Combine ingredients, stirring occasionally. (Best if done a day ahead). I try and put in glass bowl or jar.

Thanks for all the recipes! this was great!

Tracy

o

This is a recipe from my daughter that is a real favorite at our house. It's so easy and delicious!

Kung Pao Chicken

5 t. soy sauce, divided
5 t. dry sherry, divided
3 t. cornstarch, divided
t. salt
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
1 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. chicken broth or water
1 t. sugar
3 T. vegetable oil, divided
1/3 c. salted peanuts
6-8 small dried hot chili peppers
1 t. minced fresh ginger
2 green onions, cut into 1 -inch pieces

For marinade, combine 2 t. soy sauce, 2 t. sherry, 2 t. cornstarch and the salt in large bowl; mix well. Add chicken; stir to coat well. Let stand 30 minutes.

Combine remaining 3 t. soy sauce, 3 t. sherry, the vinegar, chicken broth, sugar and remaining
1 t. cornstarch in small bowl; mix well and set aside.

Heat 1 T. oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add peanuts and cook until golden. Remove and set aside.

Heat remaining 2 T. oil over medium heat. Add chili peppers and stir-fry until peppers just begin to char, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high. Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add ginger; stir-fry until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute more. Add onions and peanuts to wok. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to wok; cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens.

Serve over hot cooked ricespicy!

o

My no peek casserole is cooking now..can't wait to try it. So I won't peek I will keep busy and share here...
Irish Enchiladas:
2 1/2 pounds burger
2 cans cream of chicken( don't delute)
16 oz sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese
4 oz. can of jalapeno pepperspackage of large flour tortillas

brown meat and drain
mix soup and sour cream
warm tortilas a few at a time in microwave so they fold easy
spray 9x13 pan
add meat to torrtillas and sprinkle with some cheese and onion...roll up like a burito and lay in pan
repeat until pan is full ( 6 ? times I think)
cover with soup mix and scatter the jalapenos
bake 15 minutes at 350
sprinkle with remaining cheese and cook another 15 minutes

o

This is a great recipe my friend gave me. She has 3 kids and they always have a houseful of their friends over.

Enchilada Casserole

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can of enchilada sauce
1 cup of milk
1 pkg corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups grated cheese

Brown meat and onion. Mix remaining ingredients together, except for the tortillas. Layer in a casserole dish--tortilla, meat & onion, and soup mixture: repeat until all ingredients are used. Put cheese on top. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Simple recipe from my sister in law.

Deviled Chicken or Pork Chops

Mix equal parts mayo and dijon mustard. Spread on chicken or pork chops. Dip in Italian bread crumbs.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

o

Okay here is one my best friend prepared for us the other day.
Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing
2 boxes Butterball or Stove top stuffing mix
3/4 c celery
1 chopped large onion
1 cup applesauce (she used a berry flavored applesauce)
8 thicker cut pork chops (about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick)

Stir together dry stuffing mix, celery, onion and applesauce and seasoning packets that come with the boxed mix. Place in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch bakng pan. (Don't add any extra liquid). Place pork chops on top of stuffing. Cover very tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mnutes at 350. These were the most moist, tender, juicy pork chops that I have eaten in years. Voila stuffing and pork chops in one pan.

o

Just bumping this thread up to the top - I tried the No Peek caserole, and it was easy and delicious!

o

This is great and it freezes well. I generally put it in 2 -- 8" pans so that I have one to freeze. You can add to or delete from about anything in this recipe and it is fine.

Men's Favorite Casserole

2 lbs. hamburger
1 green pepper, chopped
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 can comato soup
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream style corn
1 can black olives, drained
8 oz. noodles, cooked
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in a 9 x 13 pan. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 45 min.

o

How about this one....

Taco Casserole

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (cooked)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 C shredded Cheddar cheese
1 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 jar Salsa (16 oz size)
4 C shredded lettuce
3 good size tomates diced
Small can sliced olives
Tortilla chips
Sour cream

Stir meat and seasoning together and put in 9 X 13 baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Spread refried beans on top, then salsa and cheeses. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool slighly and top with lettuce, tomatoes and olives.

Serve with additional salsa and sour cream.

o

The "no peek casserole" was soo good. I fixed it before I went to bible study and when I came back fixed rice, green beans and salad. What a good meal. Had a friend that asked me if I would fix it again and I told her that I would. She said that was the test as to whether a recipe was a keeper or not.

o

This is a great thread, so I'm just bumping it to the top again. Just what I was looking for. I'll post my favorite easy dish, Italian pot roast, as soon as I dig out the original recipe.

o

Would love to get that Italian Pot Roast recipe... particularly love the easy ones!

o

arandygail, do you brown the hamburger, or mix it up raw in "Men's favorite"?

o

Peanut butter on toast.

o

Corn Casserole jkimble@telepak.net

1 can whole kernel corn
1 can cream corn
1 pkg. Mexican corn bread mix
2 eggs
1 stick margarine
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion

Mix and saute onion and bell pepper in margarine. Mix all togeather, bake in greased casserole dish at 350 until firm and lightly browned

o

Broccoli Casserole

2 pkg frozen chopped brocoli cooked and drained
1 (8oz) jar cheeze whiz
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1\2 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup uncooked rice
1\4 cup margarine
1\2 cup chopped celery

Saute onion and celery in margarine. Cook rice; cook broccoli. Combine all ingredients; pour into greased casserole dish. Bake at 375 about 25-30 minutes. Serves 6-8 people.

o

great recipes..

o

Beef Bourguignon

2 # top round steak, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
4 TBLS Butter
1 Package of Dry Onion Soup
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Cup of Red Wine (cooking or regular)
1 & 1/4 Cups of Water
6 Cups Cooked White Rice

Brown meat in butter.
Add dry onion soup, mushroom soup, wine and water.
Pour into casserole dish, cover, and bake in 350 oven for 2 hours.
Serve over cooked rice. Serves 6.

I have been making this recipe for 35 yrs. I have made it in a large skillet on the stove, and the cooking time need only be long enough for the meat to be tender. Usually 60 minutes from start to finish. Depends on the grade of meat. If company is coming, it makes a better presentation using a "from the oven, to the table casserole dish". I usually double the recipe, as it is one of dh's favorites, and we can have leftovers, or it freezes nicely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another long time fav. It was served at my engagement luncheon in 1965, and I just fixed it again 2 nights ago. Over the years, it has become a little pricey to make, but with just the 2 of us, we can freeze it, and make a couple of meals off of it.

I never tell DH when I am going to make it, and he is sooo happy when he comes in the door, and detects the aroma.

Chicken in Creamy Sauce

6 chicken boneless breasts
2 packages of dried beef or dried corned beef (sold near hot dogs and bacon)
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
2 pkgs. of Lipton Dry onion soup
16 ozs. sour cream
6 pieces of bacon
toothpicks
Minute rice-or white rice of your choosing

Preheat 350

Spray large baking dish with pam.
Lay out 6 bundles of dried beef. (4 or 5 pieces per bundle) in pan.
Salt and pepper each breast
Wrap each breast with one slice of bacon, and secure with toothpick. Place on top of bundle.
Mix soups and sour cream together, and pour evenly over all 6 bundles.
Cover tightly with lid or foil, and bake for 1 hour.

Serve over hot rice.

o

Just finished copying and pasting LOTS of these wonderful recipes. Wondering if fat-free cheeses, sour cream, and cream cheese will be okay -- also reduced-fat cream soups. Has anyone tried one or more of the recipes w/ these substitutes? Oh, for my contribution I want to make sure everyone knows about the beauty of "impossible" quiche, cobbler, pie, pot pie, etc. As long as you have Bisquick or a generic version of it on hand [I use Kroger's reduced fat kind in a blue and white box; just called "Baking Mix." DH likes pancakes once in a while, and I always make biscuits with the leftover batter [just add more of the mix] and freeze. Making pie crust takes a long time -- at least for me -- and so many call for SHORTENING [apply directly to hips]. Some recipes on box; all on Bisquick.com or Betty Crocker.com. cheryva

o

Bump to top. Don't want this one to get away from us!!

o

Caramelized Potatoes

24 very small new potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
8 tbs. Unsalted butter, melted

Drop unpeeled potatoes in a pan of boiling water. Cook 15-20 mins. Or till easy to peel. Melt 1/2-cup sugar into a 12-inch skillet. Cook slowly for 3-5 mins. Until sugar turns a light brown caramel color. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon & watch sugar closely. The syrup changes color very fast and burns easily. (if too dark, it becomes bitter). Stir in butter and add as many potatoes as possible with out crowding. Shake pan constantly to roll potatoes & coat on all sides with caramel. Remove the hot caramelized potatoes to a heated serving bowl & repeat the procedure till all potatoes are coated
Note:
I have made these many times, but it is tricky. You must pay close attention so the syrup wont get too dark. I have had many successes and some failures with these. But they are so delicious.

o

This is a great site and booked mared that one but this is a great site to. I f you like Cheese cake i prined some on the cooking site.

Ilene

o

This is just SOOOOOOOOO yummy!
2 pounds chicken thighs
1 cup honey
1 TBS curry powder
2 TBS brown mustard(Dijon works fine)

Mix honey, curry powder & mustard together & roll chicken pieces in it. Place in ovenproof baking dish & cook till chicken is done.

This makes FABULOUS gravy!

o

I'm a newcomer to this forum, (trying to break free from the compulsion to read all the threads over at the Kitchen forum!) and I've just copied quite a few recipes to try over the next few weeks. Figured I'd return the favor by sharing 2 of my family's favorites:

Tuna Noodle Surprise Casserole

1 lb. elbows, shells, or broad noodles
2 or 3 cans of solid, water-packed tuna
1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese or Cheddar Cheese w/Broccoli soup
1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 lb. bag of shredded Cheddar Cheese (or 3-cheese casserole or mexican blend).
1 small can of black olives & 1 small can water chestnuts (this is the "surprise" -- I got DD to try it the first time by telling her there were 2 surprise ingredients and she had to figure out what they were)

Start cooking the pasta according to package directions, and start opening cans. Preheat oven to 350. Slice the olives and water chestnuts, if not ready-sliced. When the pasta is al dente, drain it, return it to the pot, and mix in the 2 cans of soup. Flake the tuna into the mix, and add the remaining ingredients, except save some of the cheese to sprinkle on top. Mix it all together and then pile it into a casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until hot and bubbly (approx. 45 min.) Will serve 4 very hungry people who love it at my house, but should probably serve 6 or 8! I frequently use low-fat versions of the soups and/or the cheese. One thing I like about it is that I always have all of the ingredients in the house. DH always adds Louisiana Hot Sauce to his.

Chicken & Spanish Rice

1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces.
chopped onion
chopped red and/or green pepper
1 jar of small Spanish olives (with pimentos)
1 pkg. Near East Spanish Rice. (can use other similar boxed rice mix, but this one seems to be the best for this dish).
Approx. 2 cups frozen peas or 1 can black beans.

Start cooking the rice according to the package directions (I usually omit the oil). Then start chopping and cutting the other ingredients. Brown the chicken in a large skillet with a little olive oil, and then add the onions and peppers. Cook til the chicken is just cooked through but not dried out. Add the frozen peas, and mix them in til they're cooked, or add a (drained) can of black beans. Add the olives at the end, just to heat through. When the rice is finished, mix it into the skillet and dinner's ready. Another dish which serves 4 at my house, but which is probably enough for 6. And another dish to which DH adds Louisiana hot sauce. (Can you guess that he likes his food spicy and I don't!)

o

This is such a great thread....I was RuthieG when this forum started and there were only a few of us here posting. It is nice to see the forum going strong.

o

This is turning out to be a favorite now that one of my DS's is back at home.
I take a large (as large as I can find) baking dish. Right now it is a 9/15 glass dish.

I spray a little pam stuff in it. I line it with flour tortillas (the corn ones work well too) then I layer in some kind of crumbled cooked meat - crushed black olives, chopped onions if I have them and mexican cheese or shredded american with taco sauce seasoning flavoring mixed in and then some mild canned enchilada sauce. . As I said I layer it and when the last layer goes on I load the top whith cheese and fill the enchilada sauce can with a small can of tomato sauce and pour that over it.
I bake it until it is nice and bubbly. I can get four big meals out of it.

I find that having a bag of Armours pre-cooked meatballs in the freezer is a big help. I defrost about 10 and smash them with a fork and sometimes use that for the meat. I've also put some shredded lettuce in if it is handy.

I make this about once a month.

o

I'm back to this thread for the umpteenth time and refreshing my memory on some of these recipes...going through and making shopping lists at the same time...Have to make a trip tomorrow so I can get my new kitchen stocked...thanks again everyone...if you have any new recipe favorites ...tell me about them..

o

So many great recipes, especially with the cooler weather coming. Just about everything looks delicious! thanks!

Jean

o

I made the No Peek Casserole last night and it was excellent!! My family loved it!

o

I am new to this forum...love to cook and collect recipes that I know that I WILL try one day. Tried the No Peek Casserole both DH and I loved it.
Here is one of my favorite chicken recipes to use for the meat base for taco, enchiladas, burritos or just eat it with rice.
Margarita Chicken
4 to 6 Chicken Breasts (about 24 oz)
2 tsp minced onions
4 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or I used ground chipotle)
4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 T Catsup
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp honey
2 tsp tequila
2 tsp triple sec or grand marnier
1/2 lime squeezed
Put all ingredients in a pan and mix well. Marinate chicken for one hour (I don't do this if the chicken is frozen I just begin simmering) Cook on low heat until chicken is done approx 20 minute for thawed chicken. Using two forks, shred the chicken, let simmer another 10 minutes.

Note: I have also added these ingredients during the simmering process-
1 can black beans or pinto beans
1 can Rotel tomatos
Rum instead of the tequila & triple sec

This is just one of those recipes you can expand upon..depending upon your taste.
Hope you try it and enjoy!!!
Thanks again for the No Peek Casserole....can't wait to try some of the others!

o

For the No Peek casserole, is that a small or large can of soup? thx!

o

Terrapots - where's the Italian pot roast recipe??????

o
Pea Salad

There is a upscale restaurant in our town that makes the BEST Pea Salad-- they are known for this dish. Anyway, the chef gave me the recipe. This makes 12 pounds worth so you will need to do the math to make a smaller portion. I made this for my dad and he loved it.

Scotts Pea Salad

12 lbs worth. For a 5 lb bag just quarter the recipe/

Snow Peas 12oz
Green Peas 10 lbs
Red onion diced 8oz
Cooked chopped bacon 9 oz bacon bits
Water chestnuts 1 lb
Mayo 1.5 cups
Sour cream 1.5cups
White pepper 1 tbls
Kosher salt 1 tbs

Lay peas out in a single layer on pan with towel underneath to defrost in the refer. Mix the cream, mayo, salt and pepper then add peas. Let it sit for a day before serving.

o
A great but fattening recipe!!

Tony Benvenutis Fettuccini Alfredo

1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 cube of butter
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
a head of garlic- minced

Boil noodles till al dente.

In small pan saut garlic and butter. Add whipping cream and heat on medium. Once warm, slowly add Parmesan cheese until mixture is thick. Stir constantly. Do not overheat.

Makes one package of fettuccini noodles.
For a nice variation, add smoked salmon or chicken.

o

Memphis Dry Rub Ribs

Wash a rack of ribs
apply the dry rub to both sides of the meat
place the ribs on a foil lined baking pan
seal the ribs in the pan with a top layer of foil
bake in the oven for 3 to 4 hours at 250 degrees

Dry Rub;
1 T of salt
1 T of black pepper
1 T of onion powder
1/4 t cumin

Mix together and apply to meat to cover all sides.

You can use any spice in the rub that you prefer such as garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper, ect.

When ready to serve you can put BBQ sauce on the table as a dipping sauce

o

I finally made the No Peek Casserole last night and it was very good. My family loved it, although I thought it was a bit salty. I served it over egg noodles which cut the salty taste.

o

Try this, especially if you have tortilla chips that are about to be stale hanging around your house,it's a great way to use them.

Um,my son calls this The Chip Thing

saute a chopped onion and green pepper in oil in a large skillet or non stick pan

add about 1 inch of water to pan

Add about half a bag or four cups of tortilla chips
not flavored ones just plain white or yellow tortilla chips

cover pan and turn on pan(med) so that chips start to steam
and wilt

when chips are soft but not mushy, incorporate the peppers and onions that are on the bottom by carefuly folding in to chips

if you still have water at the bottom and chips are done either
strain water off or let it steam off without a lid

put one cup grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese

on top of chips that are softened and incorporated
with onions and peppers and cover to let cheese
melt

lift lid and stir in melted cheese

Serve w/salsa & sour cream

good side dish for grilled
or baked chicken
It's very filling and when I serve it with no
meat no one has missed it!

The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes
which is always a plus!

o

birdwing, that is a great idea to use up old chips. When dh and I break down and buy them, I finish MY chips but he forgets and lets his go stale.

o

Breakfast Burritos

Basically this is scrambled eggs and seasonings inside flour tortillas. They freeze real well. This is very simple but it is our favorite family recipe.

Recipe for 12 tortillas where 2 is a normal breakfast for the appetite of 1 normal person and we usuall eat 3 per person because our appetites are abnormal:

butter - about 2-3 tablespoons (your choice for sauteing)
8 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced
1 large jalapeno, minced
1/2 medium onion or about 1 cup minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions leaving some green, minced
2 cups (approx) cheddar cheese, greated (more depending..)
1 cup salsa (I use Pace medium picante sauce)
12 flour tortillas (6 or 7 inches diameter)
tin foil to roll up burritos (because they are best cooked in an oven, not microwave)
cilantro, handful of, chopped coarsely, (optional)

===
prepare the eggs by scrambing eggs and salt in a bowl
melt butter in a skillet
saute jalapeno and red bell pepper for about a minute
add regular onion to skillet and saute another minute
add garlic and green onions and saute another minute

Next is the most important part, add the eggs to the veggies in the skillet but DO NOT cook eggs too long.
Be prepared to remove eggs from the skillet and dump back in the mixing bowl, the original one they came from if you can rinse it real quick. Once you can see that all the "runniness" has gone, you want the cooking to stop immediately and the eggs not to overcook.

Assemble burritos in assembly line fashion:

Best if you can clear your counter somewhat to hold:

The bowl of the egg mixture. (doesn't matter if you've let his get cold), stack of 12 tortillas, 1 bowl of the salsa and 1 bowl of the grated cheese. optional: bowl of cilantro. Put the tin foil handy.

Fill one tortilla with 3 tablespoons (or so) of egg mixture, next 2 Tablespoons of salsa, (sprig of cilantro, optional) and last 1 Tablespoon (or more) of cheese sprinkled on top. Roll and put face down on a piece of tin foil about 12 inches long so it will handle another burrito as well, two burritos per tin foil wrapped pkg. Make a second burrito and put it face down on the tinfoil right next to he first one. Wrap so that tin foil covers all sides. Measure out next section of tin foil and make two more burritos, wrapping them also until you finish all 12. (Hopefully, it is obvious that the way you wrap it should be convenient for you. For us, two per "package" is best.)

Freeze or if you want to eat immediately:
bake in a convection oven at 325 for 15 minutes. (Not sure what regular oven should be, someone else will need to convert.)

--Alice

o

Amazing how long this thread has been on the board...aai still love the method of cooking and still use it often.

o

Can I bump it again, to give me time to copy these wonderful recipes?!

o

Here's another pea salad that is delicious. Tried it on 'the family' at Christmas and it was a hit.
Mix the night before:
1 Teas. curry (more if you love curry)
1/3 cup mayo

1 package frozen petite peas
6 oz. smokehouse almonds
1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
3 green onions sliced
1 cup celery - sliced

Mix all of the above together, add the mayo/curry and serve.

o

Regarding the NO PEEK casserole, is there anything I can substitute for the beef? I don't eat red meat but do eat poultry. I'm wondering if the recipe would work with chicken breasts.

Here's my addition to this amazing list:

Crispy Polenta Cakes with Wild Mushrooms Ragout

6 cups water
Salt
1 cup coarse polenta
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
4 tablespoons unsalted butter,room temperature
Ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound mixed fresh wild mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups all-purpose flour for dusting the polenta
1 cup olive oil, for frying

Bring 6 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and slowly add the cornmeal in a shower, whisking constantly until the thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until a spoon stands in the polenta, 15 to 25 minutes.
Add the Parm and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Mix well. Seasonwith s&p. Immediately spread the polenta in a buttered 9-by 9-inch pan. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula and refrigerate. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the extra-virgin olive oil over high heat. Add the wild mushrooms and cook,
stirring occasionally, until golden and the mushrooms and liquid has evaporated, Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add the chicken stock, cream, garlic, and parsley to the pan and simmer to reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.

Score the polenta into 3 by 4 1/2- inch squares. Halve each square diagonally to make 2 triangles. Remove from the pan and toss the polenta triangles carefully in flour to dust them lightly. Heat 1/2-inch of olive oil in a tiny piece of polenta turns golden on contact, 375 degrees F. Add a few of the polenta triangles and cook, turning
occasionally, until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

To serve, place two polenta triangles on plate, spoon ragout over.

1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/4 or less cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoons tomato paste
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
2/3 cups plain dry bread crumbs
1 extra-large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock,
and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 hours until
the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through.

o

This is the first time I've checked out this forum. I love it! What yummy sounding recipes!

Here is one my daughters and I make often. No measurements, just adlib! It's real comfort food!

SPARE RIBS IN A POT

Country style spare ribs, most fat removed
Onions, small whole, or medium cut in half
Carrots, cleaned and cut into 3 in. lengths
Canned whole peeled tomatoes
Green Pepper, cut into wide strips

Put everything together in a large pot .

Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hrs.

Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes. You can even add potatoes to the pot!

Enjoy!

~Sandy~

o

I want to try the No Peek Casserole, but I am not a big fan of mushrooms. Is there anything I could use to substitute? (I am not much of a cook.)
Thanks!

o

Seagrass, this is for you. I forgot all about my Italian pot roast. Hope you haven't dropped off the forum. As this thread was up at the top thought I would check out the new additions and then my face was red.

This makes a large meal for family or enough to freeze for several meals. It gets better the longer it simmers. I dont always follow the recipe exactly as its always yummy anyway! Its always great with fresh French bread, DHs job.

ITALIAN POT ROAST

2 lb. rump roast (I sometimes use chuck roast)
cup flour
tsp. salt
tsp. pepper
tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 package spaghetti sauce mix
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (more or less)
2 Tbs. beef bouillon
1 can peeled tomatoes, chopped, not drained
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
I sometimes add a can of tomato paste to make a heavier spaghetti sauce, and a can or two of sliced mushrooms
4-5 large carrots, peeled, sliced diagonally

Place flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder in plastic bag, add roast to coat evenly. Heat a heavy pot or Dutch oven and add the olive oil. Sear the roast on all sides and remove to a plate. Add onion and garlic, saute for a couple of minutes. Return the roast to the pot, sprinkle sauce mix, Italian seasoning and beef bouillon over the top. Add tomatoes, wine and water; lower heat to simmer when liquid starts to boil; cover with tight fitting lid. After the first hour, add the carrots. Slow cook for at least three hours. Add a little more water/wine if needed. When roast is tender, remove to platter and slice. Return to pot. Serve hot over spaghetti or with mashed potatoes.

Terra

o

Thanks so much for the Short Ribs "how to". I'm going to try it right now.
I love this site and will be back often!!
Thanks

o

Charleston Shrimp & Grits (for 2 or 3)

Creamy Grits
1/2 cup stone ground grits (DO NOT substitute instant, quick, or any other kind...won’t taste the same)
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 stick butter
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
3-4 oz cream cheese
1/4 tsp salt

Bring broth and butter to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer and stir in grits and 1/4 tsp. salt. Continue stirring til grits stop boiling and are barely simmering and well incorporated. Add salt and continue to stir often so grits don’t stick or scorch. Add milk as needed when grits get too thick. Cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring often and checking consistency. (It should be much thicker than gravy but a bit thinner than mashed potato.) Cut cream cheese in pieces, add to grits and stir in well.

Shrimp & Gravy
1/2 - 3/4 lb peeled, deveined, raw shrimp
1 lemon
3 slices bacon
1 med. green pepper, chopped
1 med. white onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 heaping tablespoons flour
1-2 cups chicken broth
black pepper (to taste)
hot pepper (to taste - there should be a bit of spark)
chopped fresh parsley

Clean shrimp; sqeeze lemon juice on top and set them aside to drain. (You may use frozen shrimp that are defrosted.)

Cut bacon in small pieces and cook in a large skillet til crispy. Drain bacon on paper. Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease.

In bacon grease in the same skillet, brown onion and green pepper; cook til softened but not brown. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir til moistened. Add black pepper and hot pepper according to taste. Cook, stirring, for about a minute and add about 1 - 2 cups chicken broth all at once. Stir, scraping all browned bits from the sides of the skillet. Continue stirring, adding more chicken broth if gravy seems too thick, for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just til shrimp are barely done - don’t overcook.

Serve shrimp over creamy grits. Garnish with bacon bits and chopped parsley.

Can you tell I'm from the South?

o

Everybody's recipes sound mm mm good! I can't wait to try them. The first thing I cooked as a new wife (over 30 years ago) was meatballs. They fell apart, tasted terrible, and even the dog wouldn't eat them! I've come a long way.

The Best Meatballs In The World

1 pound ground chuck
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 clove garlic - minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 egg

Mix all ingredents well. Coat bottom of fry pan with a little oil. Set on burner over low heat. Roll meatballs, (I generally do a golfball size) and add to warm frypan as each is rolled. Turn heat up to medium or medium/high and carefully turn meatballs to lightly brown on all sides. When all the 'pink' is gone, crank up the heat to high. Every few minutes lift the pan a few inches above the burner and shake so that the meatballs roll around. Set it down on the burner again. Let fry for a few minutes then lift, shake and roll again. Continue repeating this till the meatballs are uniformly well browned.

I then add these to a tomato sauce or brown gravy and simmer in the crock pot for the last hour or so.

o

I was just going through the posts and thought this one was worth bumping up, great recipes in it.

o

This is amazing! I can't believe this has gone so long! Shall we all go begin anew and post another favorite recipe? These recipes are fantastic!

o

Just found this post so here goes my favorite;
Betty Jo 's Chicken
1 cup rice
1 package of onion soup mix
1 cup of white wine
4-6 pieces of chicken (can use any part of the chicken)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of milk (use the empty can from the soup)
paprika
Pour the rice into bottom of baking dish.
Add the white wine on top of rice
Sprinkle half the package of onion soup mix
Place chicken on top
Sprinkle the rest of the onion soup mix
Add cream of mushroom soup on top of chicken
Add milk & sprinkle paprika.
Cover with foil and bake at 400 for 1 hour 30 minutes.
This is a very tasty meal and the best part is the clean up. ONLY 1 DISH!!

o

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say hello and to thank you all for the recipes. I have been a "lurker" for a while and have been trying your recipes for the past couple of weeks. I thought it was time to introduce myself and hopefully pass on a few of my family favorites to you soon.

I am looking forward to joining in on all the fun!

o

This has become a favorite of everyone in my family. It is so good. If you have never tried this recipe, you need to. It is easy to prepare, and even though it has to bake for a long time, it is well worth it. It is so flavorful, tender and juicy. Absolutely DELICIOUS!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

Recipe By :Mimi's Hiller, Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup onion -- chopped

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken; clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly
distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to roast the chicken, stuff the cavity with onion, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 for 5 hours (yes, 250 for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour
or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to carmelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10
minutes before carving.

o

Thanks everyone, I'm keeping a word document ready to cut and paste all your great recipes!! :)I wish I had some good casserole ideas, but y'all really have touched on many of the ones we like so here are two appetizers that are easy with few ingredients and never last!

Bacon wrapped chestnuts with a twist..
Whole chestnuts (drained)
Bacon (I cut them into 1/2 sizes)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Chili Sauce

Wrap the chestnuts with bacon and stick a toothpick through it..sometimes I'll cut the chestnuts in half if they're very big, you want these to be bite size. Mix up next three ingredients in separate bowl.

Bake in oven at 350 in 13x9 pan ungreased....about five minutes before they're done drop the mixture on top of them and let them bake the last 5 minutes. It will create a crisp glaze on them that is out of this world!

Onion Dip even for those that don't like onions! :)

1 Bag of Frozen chopped onions (or a large onion chopped)
3 packages cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups shredded Parmesan (regular parmesan works but I like the consistency of the dip better with the shredded..also sometimes use Romano)

Mix all the above and spread in a 13x9 pan...bake at 400 for 30 minutes and serve with wheat crackers or your favorite...some even like it with veggies...it's best to eat right out of the oven.

Tara

o

You all are awesome! I can hardly wait to start trying these, and will certainly report back when I do. In the meantime, here is a simple and delicious recipe that only calls for two ingredients! (Of course, I always cheat and add an onion and plenty of seasonings)

Crockpot Tasty Tomato Chicken

1 chicken, cut up or chicken thighs, or chicken breasts (4 or so)
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce

1. Put chicken into crockpot, making sure to remove any skin first.
2. Pour jar of sauce over chicken.
3. Cook 6-8 hours on low.

o

Italian Beef Sandwiches:

* 3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef roast, sirloin tip or rump roast
* 1 Tablespoon of dried Italian Drsg. mix (Good Seasons Zesty Italian)
* 12 ounces (jar) sliced pepperoncini peppers w/juice
* 1 tsp EACH: anise, fennel seed, oregano, sesame seed
* 10 ounce can condensed beef broth
* 8 ounces beer

PREPARATION:
Place beef roast in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine pepperoncini peppers, spices and condensed beef broth.

Add all mixture to crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 to 14 hours, until meat is very tender. Use a fork to shred for sandwiches. Let simmer for another 15 mins. Serve with crusty Italian rolls or crusty bread. Makes 8-12 sandwiches...depending on size of buns.

o

LOVE this one...just made it for a family picnic. I found it on the net a while ago...family loves it!

Beef-On-A-Stick
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons sherry
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
skewers: if wood...soak in water for 30 minutes

DIRECTIONS
1. In a small bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, sherry, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, green onions, garlic, and ginger.
2. Cut flank steak across grain on a diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour hoisin sauce mixture over slices, and mix well. Refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight. I sometimes leave it for over a day.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Discard marinade, and thread steak on skewers.
4. Oil the grill grate. Grill skewers 3 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. YUMMY!

Another recipe the family loves:

Guam Chicken:
1 - 2 whole chickens cut up
1 bottle beer
1 jar sliced jalepenos with juice
1 large yellow onion sliced thinly
1 bottle soy sauce (low sodium)

Put chicken and all ingredients in some kind of tupperware container trying to have all pieces of chicken covered. Generally I try and have equal amounts of beer, soy sauce and peppers. Refrigerate for 3 days, stirring once or twice a day. It will NOT spoil. Then after 3 days it is ready for the BBQ grill. Remove meat from marinade. Dump marinade. Grill the chicken until done. It is fantastic with fried rice and a green salad or fruit salad. I usually make extra thighs as the dark meat seems to be more flavorful than the breast meat.

o

Hi everyone.. great recipes! I am new here ... glad I found it, looking forward to try them all out. I will post a favorite lunch/dinner one soon. .but for now.. here's one to top off your delicious meals
Its a fruit dip recipe: (moms, here is a way to get your kids to love fruit!)

(1) 8 oz. PKG. of cream cheese
(1) jar of Fluff
Orange juice (splash)

Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Place in mixing bowl. Add one jar of Fluff..blend together with a hand mixer. When it has a creamy consistency, add a splash of OJ..more to your taste. Blend once again until mixed. serve right away, or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Drizzle it over your favorite fruit or use as a dip. I usually make a fruit salad. I use cantaloupe, red grapes, water melon, honey dew, strawberries and blueberries. What I also do is each fruit I cut up, I put it in its own zip lock bag. When its time to make the fruit salad, I just add as much as I need and there is always left over. This eliminates "soggy" fruit and its always crisp.. when the bowl gets empty, I just refill it.. fresh every time.. hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.. its a great summer treat ( also to bring when your invited to a BBQ, it will be sure to be a hit)
Enjoy

o

Is there any way to make the No Peek recipe less salty? Do either of the soups come salt-free? After years of cutting our intake of salt, this one made my ankle swell! But it sure was good. DH loved it, and ate it for 3 nights.

o

These recipes look great. I can't wait to try them especially the no peek recipe. I asked my kids what they considered their favorite family meal and both said my burritos so here goes the recipe. I must warn that I usually make a large batch that makes, tostadas, and nachos the next 2 days lol

Refried beans (either homemade cooked in a crockpot on low for 6 hrs) or 2 large cans of old el paso with cheese beans

2 1/2 pounds of ground sirloin (I like to pick out a nice piece and have the butcher ground it) a bit expensive but well worth it
1 jalepeno pepper roasted and finely chopped
2+ cups of cheddar cheese
16 oz of sour cream
1 medium jar of hot taco sauce
1 medium jar of your choose, hot medium or mild depending of your tastes taco sauce
1 pkg of taco seasoning
1 small can of sliced black olives
2 medium vine ripe tomatoes chopped
2 cups of lettuce shredded
1 pkg of mission tortillas (burrito size works best)
1 small scallion
1/2 small sweet onion chopped small

In a large fry pan brown the hamburger meat, 1 tomato,jalepeno and scallion. Drain well.
Dump the meat mixture back in the pan, add beans, hot taco sauce, taco seasoning, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and aprox 4 oz of sour cream or about 1/2 cup. Heat until hot making sure to stir often while that is heating..in another pan heat the the tortillas on low heat one at a time. I have a gas stove so I like to heat mine right on the fire...it makes a huge difference..if you do that though please be careful not to burn yourself...I did many times in the beginning lol

once everything is heated I set my kitchen table with everyone their own plate with a tortilla on it..and line the rest of the table with bowls of everything else. We follow around in buffet style to make our own. Then off to the living room we go for dinner and a movie...They are wonderful and don't take long if you use the can beans (hint hint) :)

o

What can I substitute for the ginger ale in the no peek casserole? Recipes sound so good, but how can one lose weight trying them all?????

o

We tried no peek and chicken mcnicken this week and both were a huge hit!!! thank you!!! i hope to try the pork chop bake this weekend!

o

I tried the Ribs in a Pot recipe that use2bcapecodr posted---it is now a family favorite!! Delicious!!!

o

Chicken Swiss

Preheat oven to 350

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 slices swiss cheese
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup mixed with 1/4 c milk (or water or white wine or sherry.. )
1 cup herb stuffing mix (I use Pepp Farm. Original recipe from Southern Living says to pour melted butter on top of stuffing, but I don't so that!)

Layer in a greased casserole in order listed.. starting with chicken on bottom...

Bake for about 50 min

o

An easy one, adapted from a Chicken flavored Stove Top Stuffing box I make when I have left over chicken or turkey:

It is similar to chicken pot pie without the crust:

Thaw one large bag of mixed vegetables
Small amount (maybe 1 teaspoon) poultry seasoning
Large family size can of Cream of Chicken soup
Diced left-over chicken or turkey
milk

Warm the large can of cream of chicken soup in a large skillet or pan, dilute with 1/3 can of milk.

Add vegetables, poultry seasoning & cubed chicken or turkey.

Heat through and serve over toast, biscuits or rice. Original recipe called for topping the mixture with Chicken flavor Stove Top stuffing which was also good. But I usually serve this over toast or biscuits.

o

I made the "Baked Spaghetti" that Kim-OK posted way at the top. I've made it twice now...once with ground beef and once with sweet italian sausage instead. This is a great recipe!!! Our preference is the sausage in place of beef. Wonderful! We got 2 family meals for 4 people out of it plus a couple of lunch portions for me at work.
Yummy!
- mando

o

also meant to add...
my 4-year old has aptly named Kim-OK's Baked Spaghetti "Mommy's Mixed Up Spaghetti" ;-).

The verdict is still out on whether it's Mommy who's mixed up or the spaghetti that's mixed up...or both. ;-)
Anyway, it's a great recipe that my family loves. Thanks.

o

My husband & I love this Baked Salmon:
Mix yellow mustard & balsamic vinegar (more mustard than vinegar). Brush on salmon. Bake at 425 degrees about 15 minutes.

o

I've just cut-and-pasted a dozen recipes to try! By way of thanks, here are two of my favorites . . .

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
15 minutes preparation time, 8 hours cooking time

2 (15oz.) cans black beans
2 (15 oz.) cans Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 (14.5 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 cup salsa, your preference as to strength (I use medium)

Without draining anything, place all in crockpot; stir until mixed.

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- Rinse and submerge in the above mixture. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks. Return chicken to crockpot.
1 can Niblets corn -- Stir in and heat 10-15 minutes, or just long enough to get corn and chicken hot.

Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Using the Rotel tomatoes with chilies will produce a spicy soup for milder soup, use regular diced tomatoes and mild salsa. This recipe freezes perfectly its like money in the bank! Enjoy! :o).

California Casserole
1 lb. hamburger, raw
1 chopped onion
1 diced green pepper
lb. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or any yellow cheese)
lb. (1 c.) raw elbow macaroni
2 tsp. salt
tsp. pepper
1 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
sliced black olives as many as you want I use a big can!
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Bake in covered casserole for 2 hours at 325. Uncover for the last 30 minutes. This is a meat-loaf type of dish.

I tried this when my kids were little, thinking that it had some odd ingredients and was probably going to be a bust. Everyone loved it and I still make it frequently.

Hope you enjoy!

Arlene

o

There have been so many good recipes posted on this thread!
Here's one of our favorites.
You can make Jerk chicken or Jerk pork, or even beef with this marinade. It's got a little heat to it, but it's not too hot. If you like it even cooler, use a milder pepper such as a jalapeno.
It's also very versatile in that you can make this meat in the crockpot by just marinating it as it cooks,pour the sauce over the meat before cooking-- or you can marinade it for a day or two or three before cooking in the refrigerator, or you can bake it in the oven, or on the grill after marinading.
It's really good with pork chops, ribs, pork roast, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, whole chicken, chicken legs *then the kids call it giant chicken wings*

Jerk marinade

1 med-large onion, quartered
1 t dried thyme leaves
1 t salt
3 t sugar
1 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 hot peppers, preferably habanero or scotch bonnet
1/4 t ground black pepper
3 T soy sauce
1 T cooking or olive oil
1 T cider or white vinegar

blend together until it's all liquefied. This makes an excellent marinade and will keep as it is in the refrigerator for up to one month. Can be frozen indefinitely. Marinade meat for up to three days, then bake, grill, or crockpot.
Thicken the juice from the meat along with the leftover marinade with some cornstarch and water, then serve it alongside the meat with some cooked rice, cooked with some frozen peas. Great!
Makes 1 1/2 cups of marinade.

o

Crock pot... beef roast... 12 oz can of beer. Cook till roast is tender.

You can add canned mushrooms at the end if you want and thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch mixed in water.

Serve with mashed potatoes and salad. My family's favorite couldn't be easier.

o

OK I haven't posted in years but after reading all these posts, I thought I should contribute something too!! This was in our newspaper and got great reviews so I tried it although I wasn't sure about the chicken apple combo. It is very yummy and a little different than the standard chicken chili. Everyone loves it so you might too!!

Chicken Apple Chili

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds chicken tenders cut in 1/2 inch thick slices (I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs) frozen from TJs or kroger
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
2 apples cut into 1/2 inch cubes (you can peel or not. doesn't really make a difference)
1 chopped onion
4 T butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
1 15-oz cans pinto or white beans rinsed (canneli or white kidney)
2 cups shredded mont jack cheese
chips
scallions for serving.

Heat 2 T olive oil over med heat in large dutch oven. Add chicken, chili and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes or so longer if using thighs. transfer to bowl
In same pot, heat 2 T olive oil. add apples and onion til softened, 6 minutes. add to chicken.
Same pot again. melt butter over med low. Whisk in flour for 1 minute. whisk in chicken broth and milk til thickened, 3 minutes. stir in chicken, apples and beans. Simmer then stir in cheese. serve with tortillas and scallions. Better the next day.

o

Love this thread!!!

Our family LOVES the no peek. Big hit. Thank you!

Here is one of my familys favorite!

Souvlaki

2 to 21/2 pounds of pork tenderloin cubed (chicken works well too)

MARINADE:
1/4 C Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano (or 1tsp dried)
1 clove garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste

Marinate pork overnight
BBQ pork on skewers until done. Place on warmed pitas. Garnish with tomatoes and red onion and sauce.

SAUCE:
equal parts plain yogurt and sour cream
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp rosemary
Mix and let sit overnight

o

I love all the recipes posted in this thread. They all sounds so delicious no wonder its a family favorite. My family loves pasta dishes.

o

Wow...I didn't even know this forum was here! I've been living in the kitchen & building forums. I raised 4 kids & a husband in the 'wilds' of Alaska. We're empty nesters now but I still like to cook in bulk & freeze. Having 4 kids I cooked a lot :) Baked & baked some more. I don't bake anymore & I do miss it but I sure don't need it! :)

Anyway, I'd like to join in on the fun & share a few recipes. Thank you, everyone, for such great ideas!

I even took a picture of it last year so I'll put it at the bottom.

EDAMAME SALAD

This is a very easy salad that is so colorful, fresh & low carb.

2 bags shelled Edamame, (soybeans) cooked according to package directions, run cold water over to stop cooking. Note: You can buy shelled Edamame in the freezer section

Toasted sesame seeds, if desired
Roasted slivered almonds
Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
Red bell peppers, diced for color contrast
Small cubes of cheese (Habanera Jack, etc.)
Grape tomatoes
Vinaigrette dressing of choice (I use Balsamic vinegar & Extra-virgin olive oil.)
Option: Add some smoked salmon for a more main dish salad

Mix all ingredients except nuts & chill.
Add nuts just before serving.

Edamame Salad

o

great recipes all. for the questions about the no peek casserole, I use chicken all the time and quite often just use the veggies I have in the fridge. So don't worry about the mushrooms if yu do't like them, substitute what you like.
Now if I get carried away with extra veggies, I quite often double the sauce......hope this helps.

o

Bumping this forum-- when my kitchen is completed, I will try many of these recipes...

o

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what do you mean by "bump"? And how do you do it? Also, can anyone tell me how to"undue" whatever is keeping me from emailing certain recipes to myself? Thanks so mucn!

o

Kat123, to "bump" is to make the thread current so it doesn't get lost in the old threads :)

Wish I could help with the undue...I just cut and paste the recipes into a word doc so I can print them.

Great ideas here! Thanks everyone!

o

Hello,
my family loves this italian sausage soup, i post here the easy recipe:

Total Time: 0:55
Servings: 6

Ingredients

1 pound Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
2 small zucchini, cubed
2 cups spinach � packed, rinsed and torn
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Everyone of my family love it so much!
:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Soup recipies

o

Mexican Pie

Spray a glass pie plate with Pam.
Mix Refried Beans with a can of rinsed and drained black beans, add in a small can of diced green chilies and some salsa (until you get a nice consistency.
Layer flour tortillas (the large ones that will come up the side of the pie plate) with a layer of the bean mixture and then some taco or enchilada sauce and shredded cheese, repeat to fill plate and then top with a final tortilla. cover with foil and bake on 375 for 1/2 hour. Take off foil and top with some more shredded cheese and bake a few more minutes.
Slice like pie and serve with salad. Sometimes i shred lettuce and dice tomatoes and top the pie with that and some sour cream.
You could definitely add meat but I have vegetarian kids.

o

Recipe for:
Fried chicken wings(finger licking good!!!)
ingredients:
2kg chicken wings
[seasoning]:
Oyster sauce (4 tbsp)
Soy sauce (8 tbsp)
Ground white pepper (generous sprinkling)
sesame oil (2 tbsp)
sugar (2 tbsp)
honey (2 tbsp)

Method:
Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan until its really hot and then put the marinated chicken wings inside.
Cook with medium heat so as not to burn chicken before the insides are cooked.Fry chicken until the chicken skin feels slightly crunchy.(approx 10 to 20 mins)
Tips: Break chicken wing into two parts:wing and drumstick to facilitate frying and to fry more at once, break the joints in the chicken wing so that they can be more easily arranged.
This dish is great served with rice or with wedges and vegetables or just by itself as a snack or as an accompaniment for beer!
Serves 4 to 5.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here