SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieginma

Favorite family recipe?

RuthieG in MA
23 years ago

OK lets have your family's favorite recipe.

Comments (138)

• backyardbill
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Memphis Dry Rub Ribs

Wash a rack of ribs
    apply the dry rub to both sides of the meat
    place the ribs on a foil lined baking pan
    seal the ribs in the pan with a top layer of foil
    bake in the oven for 3 to 4 hours at 250 degrees

Dry Rub;
    1 T of salt
    1 T of black pepper
    1 T of onion powder
    1/4 t cumin

Mix together and apply to meat to cover all sides.

You can use any spice in the rub that you prefer such as garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper, ect.

When ready to serve you can put BBQ sauce on the table as a dipping sauce

• debbie814
    19 years ago

I finally made the No Peek Casserole last night and it was very good. My family loved it, although I thought it was a bit salty. I served it over egg noodles which cut the salty taste.

• Related Discussions

Favorite Canning recipes for family with little kids

Q

Comments (8)
    My DD is mostly a fruit fan. She also loves vanilla, so I throw a splash of vanilla extract in lots of my lite syrups (she doesn't like the black specks from vanilla beans). I've also found that if I come up with goofy names for things, she likes them better. For instance, we call canned peaches "Sunshine in a Jar", and we call strawberry-applesauce "Strawple Sauce". Peaches and Pears - I can them both diced and sliced. Depends on my DD's mood as to which jar she requests. I've thought of canning them together - but I can't get the bulk canning boxes from the orchard at the same time. Applesauce and apple-fruit blends - in particular apple-peach, apple-pear, apple-strawberry. I also will finely dice my apples and use some caramelized brown sugar for a chunky caramel applesauce. (I throw seasonal fruit in the freezer for when apple season arrives - then I can make the blends.) Peach Sauce - like applesauce, but made from peaches Honey Crimson Grapefruit - recipe in Ball Book, but grapefruit sections canned in cranberry juice and honey Strawberries packed in simple syrup She also likes my jams. Especially my fruit combo jams. DD also likes a lot of the soups I pressure can. I make a pumpkin bisque that she loves.
    ...See More

NEW: The Petal Pushers: Sharing Our Thanksgiving Traditions!

Q

Comments (150)
    Hey girls, love all you nuts!:)) Nutbunny! I got my box today! I just went to the post office after checking the dc and it said it was delivered today! So after supper, here I go............... (I haven't opened it yet, just got back, so I's gonna open it with everyone! Whoo hooo! Drum Roll please!!!!! I love the writing on the outside of the box! lol, Fragile....Please do don't toss or play catch with me! Thank you! lol Fragile....This means it will break! Girl they don't pay us any attention! Ok, box is getting opened cause I'm about to bust something besides this box! 1st off is a beautiful note, thanks sweetie! Lol, I love it, a pack of Yogi Tea...Fasting...Weight Loss Support! God I need it, hope it works! And a cute note stating that its for 'after Thanksgiving' lol. Love it girlfriend! Thanks! (But I could use it now) A bottle of Avon Vanilla shower gel Wow! I love this homemade is it coasters, it their own little homemade basket? I love it anyways and can think of lots of ways to use it! Thanks sweetie, I really love it and the garden colors on it and the pretty ribbons, I don't know if I'll let anyone use it, lol. OMG! Please tell your kiddos thats the most beautiful ornament I've ever received from anyone! I swear, I teared, how awesome, I could never tell you how much I love it Melissa! Hugs to you and all your beautiful kiddos! Ok for those that can't see it yet, its a beautiful star with jellybeans , I'll post a pic, its just lovely! Thank you so much!!!! I really love it! Hugs and more hugssss! Oooooh, an Orange Poppy seed/Strawberry Blossom/Chocolate Chip candle, wow girl! Yummy! Can't help but be! Ok, this one has a note saying....This one's got Ms Sassy inside! Oh how cute! another ornament, Melissa, I don't know how to describe this so they will understand, but just know I adore it! So cute! Oh and Kenzie's is too cute! Thanks so much, I just love it! You're so sweet! Ooooh, I just love my fall scarecrow girl! Hers soooo cute! I'm smilin' back at her now:) Love the Apple Basket Candle Topper, so petty! An ear of Corn for my squirrels, they'll be thanking you also! I do feed my squirrels, lol. Avon vanilla body lotion Good lawdy girl...... I will take a pic of this! Oh, I love it Melissa! Its the front of a dress so cute! and the skirt part is a dishtowel with sunflowers!!!!! And the top has a cute little sunflower. I'm amazed! I love it!:)))) I love you crafty girls! Hershey's Kisses with caramel(Its too late, Jerry just saw them:( lol thats ok, he'll share! Avon Rasberry Lip Balm (thank so much, needed some so bad) Now I should be asking for the drum roll! Girl you gettin' hugged all over that couch tonight! No I don't have this Paula Dean Cookbook and I thank you so much for it! I can't wait to snuggle up with it! You'd think as much as I love her I'd have all of her cookbooks, but I don't. This is a treasure and I appreciate it so much! Wow, I've never seen the beat of how much can be put into a flatrate box! I am in awwe girl. You have really overdone yourself my friend, I can't say what I love the most, but I can tell you... this is by far one of the most special boxes I've ever received! Thank you from the bottom of my heart, you really put thought into it and I know it came from the heart, and a really big one! Hugs Hugs Hugs and so many Kisses! I've had so much fun going through it and I know its taken me forever! Sorry! But you packed it! lol And tight, I might add. Thanks sweetie, I really loved every single thing! Sassy
    ...See More

Cook books--what's your favorite?

Q

Comments (22)
    I was a bit of a fanatic for a few years when I finally got interested in cooking...I too haunted the library and bookstores for cookbooks. But then I ran across a marvelous book, "Impromptu Cooking" by Glenn Andrews. In it, she describes how she went from a strictly "follow the recipe" cook to one who can wing it. And best of all, encouraged me to try. I reread her book often...(she does include recipes and variations) but mostly for inspiration. First, you have to get all the basics of course, (and a favorite along those lines was, for me, Rene Verdon's "French Cooking for the American Table" for the "why" of things. I've still got quite a few cookbooks, but I've quit acquiring new ones ...or if I do succumb, pass it along after reading. Enjoy the Cooking Forum here and several other sites to get my "reading recipes" kicks nowadays. josh
    ...See More

Mom featured on cooking blog today

Q

Comments (10)
    Pat, your Mom DOES look awesome, and I'm not going to add "for her age" either! reminds me of my own Mother, who has worked right beside me in the kitchen for a cople of weddings, and just keeps going until we're done, hours later. I suggested she take a break, she asked me "What? You think I'm OLD?" Ahem. So you're related to Elery, are you. Hey, it could be, his family is all over Kentucky and Tennessee, a long line of Southern Baptist preachers! Annie
    ...See More
  • birdwing
    19 years ago

Try this, especially if you have tortilla chips that are about to be stale hanging around your house,it's a great way to use them.

Um,my son calls this The Chip Thing

saute a chopped onion and green pepper in oil in a large skillet or non stick pan

add about 1 inch of water to pan

Add about half a bag or four cups of tortilla chips
    not flavored ones just plain white or yellow tortilla chips

cover pan and turn on pan(med) so that chips start to steam
    and wilt

when chips are soft but not mushy, incorporate the peppers and onions that are on the bottom by carefuly folding in to chips

if you still have water at the bottom and chips are done either
    strain water off or let it steam off without a lid

put one cup grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese

on top of chips that are softened and incorporated
    with onions and peppers and cover to let cheese
    melt

lift lid and stir in melted cheese

Serve w/salsa & sour cream

good side dish for grilled
    or baked chicken
    It's very filling and when I serve it with no
    meat no one has missed it!

The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes
    which is always a plus!

• msazadi
    19 years ago

birdwing, that is a great idea to use up old chips. When dh and I break down and buy them, I finish MY chips but he forgets and lets his go stale.

• alicesRestaurant
    19 years ago

Breakfast Burritos

Basically this is scrambled eggs and seasonings inside flour tortillas. They freeze real well. This is very simple but it is our favorite family recipe.

Recipe for 12 tortillas where 2 is a normal breakfast for the appetite of 1 normal person and we usuall eat 3 per person because our appetites are abnormal:

butter - about 2-3 tablespoons (your choice for sauteing)
    8 eggs
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced
    1 large jalapeno, minced
    1/2 medium onion or about 1 cup minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 green onions leaving some green, minced
    2 cups (approx) cheddar cheese, greated (more depending..)
    1 cup salsa (I use Pace medium picante sauce)
    12 flour tortillas (6 or 7 inches diameter)
    tin foil to roll up burritos (because they are best cooked in an oven, not microwave)
    cilantro, handful of, chopped coarsely, (optional)

===
    prepare the eggs by scrambing eggs and salt in a bowl
    melt butter in a skillet
    saute jalapeno and red bell pepper for about a minute
    add regular onion to skillet and saute another minute
    add garlic and green onions and saute another minute

Next is the most important part, add the eggs to the veggies in the skillet but DO NOT cook eggs too long.
    Be prepared to remove eggs from the skillet and dump back in the mixing bowl, the original one they came from if you can rinse it real quick. Once you can see that all the "runniness" has gone, you want the cooking to stop immediately and the eggs not to overcook.

Assemble burritos in assembly line fashion:

Best if you can clear your counter somewhat to hold:

The bowl of the egg mixture. (doesn't matter if you've let his get cold), stack of 12 tortillas, 1 bowl of the salsa and 1 bowl of the grated cheese. optional: bowl of cilantro. Put the tin foil handy.

Fill one tortilla with 3 tablespoons (or so) of egg mixture, next 2 Tablespoons of salsa, (sprig of cilantro, optional) and last 1 Tablespoon (or more) of cheese sprinkled on top. Roll and put face down on a piece of tin foil about 12 inches long so it will handle another burrito as well, two burritos per tin foil wrapped pkg. Make a second burrito and put it face down on the tinfoil right next to he first one. Wrap so that tin foil covers all sides. Measure out next section of tin foil and make two more burritos, wrapping them also until you finish all 12. (Hopefully, it is obvious that the way you wrap it should be convenient for you. For us, two per "package" is best.)

Freeze or if you want to eat immediately:
    bake in a convection oven at 325 for 15 minutes. (Not sure what regular oven should be, someone else will need to convert.)

--Alice

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Amazing how long this thread has been on the board...aai still love the method of cooking and still use it often.

• caroline94535
    18 years ago

Can I bump it again, to give me time to copy these wonderful recipes?!

• Laurie_SJC
    18 years ago

Here's another pea salad that is delicious. Tried it on 'the family' at Christmas and it was a hit.
    Mix the night before:
    1 Teas. curry (more if you love curry)
    1/3 cup mayo

1 package frozen petite peas
    6 oz. smokehouse almonds
    1 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
    3 green onions sliced
    1 cup celery - sliced

Mix all of the above together, add the mayo/curry and serve.

• girlblue
    18 years ago

Regarding the NO PEEK casserole, is there anything I can substitute for the beef? I don't eat red meat but do eat poultry. I'm wondering if the recipe would work with chicken breasts.

Here's my addition to this amazing list:

Crispy Polenta Cakes with Wild Mushrooms Ragout

6 cups water
    Salt
    1 cup coarse polenta
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter,room temperature
    Ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound mixed fresh wild mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
    3 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 cups all-purpose flour for dusting the polenta
    1 cup olive oil, for frying

Bring 6 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and slowly add the cornmeal in a shower, whisking constantly until the thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until a spoon stands in the polenta, 15 to 25 minutes.
    Add the Parm and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Mix well. Seasonwith s&p. Immediately spread the polenta in a buttered 9-by 9-inch pan. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula and refrigerate. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the extra-virgin olive oil over high heat. Add the wild mushrooms and cook,
    stirring occasionally, until golden and the mushrooms and liquid has evaporated, Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add the chicken stock, cream, garlic, and parsley to the pan and simmer to reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.

Score the polenta into 3 by 4 1/2- inch squares. Halve each square diagonally to make 2 triangles. Remove from the pan and toss the polenta triangles carefully in flour to dust them lightly. Heat 1/2-inch of olive oil in a tiny piece of polenta turns golden on contact, 375 degrees F. Add a few of the polenta triangles and cook, turning
    occasionally, until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

To serve, place two polenta triangles on plate, spoon ragout over.

1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
    1 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
    1/4 or less cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1 teaspoons tomato paste
    2 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
    2/3 cups plain dry bread crumbs
    1 extra-large eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock,
    and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 hours until
    the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through.

• use2bcapecodr
    18 years ago

This is the first time I've checked out this forum. I love it! What yummy sounding recipes!

Here is one my daughters and I make often. No measurements, just adlib! It's real comfort food!

SPARE RIBS IN A POT

Country style spare ribs, most fat removed
    Onions, small whole, or medium cut in half
    Carrots, cleaned and cut into 3 in. lengths
    Canned whole peeled tomatoes
    Green Pepper, cut into wide strips

Put everything together in a large pot .

Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hrs.

Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes. You can even add potatoes to the pot!

Enjoy!

~Sandy~

• vthornberrry21
    18 years ago

I want to try the No Peek Casserole, but I am not a big fan of mushrooms. Is there anything I could use to substitute? (I am not much of a cook.)
    Thanks!

• Terrapots
    18 years ago

Seagrass, this is for you. I forgot all about my Italian pot roast. Hope you haven't dropped off the forum. As this thread was up at the top thought I would check out the new additions and then my face was red.

This makes a large meal for family or enough to freeze for several meals. It gets better the longer it simmers. I dont always follow the recipe exactly as its always yummy anyway! Its always great with fresh French bread, DHs job.

ITALIAN POT ROAST

2 ½ lb. rump roast (I sometimes use chuck roast)
    ¼ cup flour
    ½ tsp. salt
    ½ tsp. pepper
    ½ tsp. garlic powder
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 package spaghetti sauce mix
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning (more or less)
    2 Tbs. beef bouillon
    1 can peeled tomatoes, chopped, not drained
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 cup red wine
    1 cup water
    I sometimes add a can of tomato paste to make a heavier spaghetti sauce, and a can or two of sliced mushrooms
    4-5 large carrots, peeled, sliced diagonally

Place flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder in plastic bag, add roast to coat evenly. Heat a heavy pot or Dutch oven and add the olive oil. Sear the roast on all sides and remove to a plate. Add onion and garlic, saute for a couple of minutes. Return the roast to the pot, sprinkle sauce mix, Italian seasoning and beef bouillon over the top. Add tomatoes, wine and water; lower heat to simmer when liquid starts to boil; cover with tight fitting lid. After the first hour, add the carrots. Slow cook for at least three hours. Add a little more water/wine if needed. When roast is tender, remove to platter and slice. Return to pot. Serve hot over spaghetti or with mashed potatoes.

Terra

• suzyb
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the Short Ribs "how to". I'm going to try it right now.
    I love this site and will be back often!!
    Thanks

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Charleston Shrimp & Grits (for 2 or 3)

Creamy Grits
    1/2 cup stone ground grits (DO NOT substitute instant, quick, or any other kind...wonât taste the same)
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/3 stick butter
    1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
    3-4 oz cream cheese
    1/4 tsp salt

Bring broth and butter to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer and stir in grits and 1/4 tsp. salt. Continue stirring til grits stop boiling and are barely simmering and well incorporated. Add salt and continue to stir often so grits donât stick or scorch. Add milk as needed when grits get too thick. Cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring often and checking consistency. (It should be much thicker than gravy but a bit thinner than mashed potato.) Cut cream cheese in pieces, add to grits and stir in well.

Shrimp & Gravy
    1/2 - 3/4 lb peeled, deveined, raw shrimp
    1 lemon
    3 slices bacon
    1 med. green pepper, chopped
    1 med. white onion, chopped
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 heaping tablespoons flour
    1-2 cups chicken broth
    black pepper (to taste)
    hot pepper (to taste - there should be a bit of spark)
    chopped fresh parsley

Clean shrimp; sqeeze lemon juice on top and set them aside to drain. (You may use frozen shrimp that are defrosted.)

Cut bacon in small pieces and cook in a large skillet til crispy. Drain bacon on paper. Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease.

In bacon grease in the same skillet, brown onion and green pepper; cook til softened but not brown. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir til moistened. Add black pepper and hot pepper according to taste. Cook, stirring, for about a minute and add about 1 - 2 cups chicken broth all at once. Stir, scraping all browned bits from the sides of the skillet. Continue stirring, adding more chicken broth if gravy seems too thick, for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just til shrimp are barely done - donât overcook.

Serve shrimp over creamy grits. Garnish with bacon bits and chopped parsley.

Can you tell I'm from the South?

• lois_arcade
    17 years ago

Everybody's recipes sound mm mm good! I can't wait to try them. The first thing I cooked as a new wife (over 30 years ago) was meatballs. They fell apart, tasted terrible, and even the dog wouldn't eat them! I've come a long way.

The Best Meatballs In The World

1 pound ground chuck
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
    1 clove garlic - minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 egg

Mix all ingredents well. Coat bottom of fry pan with a little oil. Set on burner over low heat. Roll meatballs, (I generally do a golfball size) and add to warm frypan as each is rolled. Turn heat up to medium or medium/high and carefully turn meatballs to lightly brown on all sides. When all the 'pink' is gone, crank up the heat to high. Every few minutes lift the pan a few inches above the burner and shake so that the meatballs roll around. Set it down on the burner again. Let fry for a few minutes then lift, shake and roll again. Continue repeating this till the meatballs are uniformly well browned.

I then add these to a tomato sauce or brown gravy and simmer in the crock pot for the last hour or so.

• katntex
    17 years ago

I was just going through the posts and thought this one was worth bumping up, great recipes in it.

• mamatoad
    17 years ago

This is amazing! I can't believe this has gone so long! Shall we all go begin anew and post another favorite recipe? These recipes are fantastic!

• patmc102
    16 years ago

Just found this post so here goes my favorite;
    Betty Jo 's Chicken
    1 cup rice
    1 package of onion soup mix
    1 cup of white wine
    4-6 pieces of chicken (can use any part of the chicken)
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    1 can of milk (use the empty can from the soup)
    paprika
    Pour the rice into bottom of baking dish.
    Add the white wine on top of rice
    Sprinkle half the package of onion soup mix
    Place chicken on top
    Sprinkle the rest of the onion soup mix
    Add cream of mushroom soup on top of chicken
    Add milk & sprinkle paprika.
    Cover with foil and bake at 400 for 1 hour 30 minutes.
    This is a very tasty meal and the best part is the clean up. ONLY 1 DISH!!

• mamalou
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say hello and to thank you all for the recipes. I have been a "lurker" for a while and have been trying your recipes for the past couple of weeks. I thought it was time to introduce myself and hopefully pass on a few of my family favorites to you soon.

I am looking forward to joining in on all the fun!

• aaressler
    16 years ago

This has become a favorite of everyone in my family. It is so good. If you have never tried this recipe, you need to. It is easy to prepare, and even though it has to bake for a long time, it is well worth it. It is so flavorful, tender and juicy. Absolutely DELICIOUS!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

Recipe By :Mimi's Hiller, Mimi's Cyber-Kitchen
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large roasting chicken
    1 cup onion -- chopped

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken; clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly
    distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to roast the chicken, stuff the cavity with onion, and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250° for 5 hours (yes, 250° for 5 hours). After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour
    or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to carmelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10
    minutes before carving.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm keeping a word document ready to cut and paste all your great recipes!! :)I wish I had some good casserole ideas, but y'all really have touched on many of the ones we like so here are two appetizers that are easy with few ingredients and never last!

Bacon wrapped chestnuts with a twist..
    Whole chestnuts (drained)
    Bacon (I cut them into 1/2 sizes)
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1/2 cup Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Chili Sauce

Wrap the chestnuts with bacon and stick a toothpick through it..sometimes I'll cut the chestnuts in half if they're very big, you want these to be bite size. Mix up next three ingredients in separate bowl.

Bake in oven at 350 in 13x9 pan ungreased....about five minutes before they're done drop the mixture on top of them and let them bake the last 5 minutes. It will create a crisp glaze on them that is out of this world!

Onion Dip even for those that don't like onions! :)

1 Bag of Frozen chopped onions (or a large onion chopped)
    3 packages cream cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 cups shredded Parmesan (regular parmesan works but I like the consistency of the dip better with the shredded..also sometimes use Romano)

Mix all the above and spread in a 13x9 pan...bake at 400 for 30 minutes and serve with wheat crackers or your favorite...some even like it with veggies...it's best to eat right out of the oven.

Tara

• xantippe
    16 years ago

You all are awesome! I can hardly wait to start trying these, and will certainly report back when I do. In the meantime, here is a simple and delicious recipe that only calls for two ingredients! (Of course, I always cheat and add an onion and plenty of seasonings)

Crockpot Tasty Tomato Chicken

1 chicken, cut up or chicken thighs, or chicken breasts (4 or so)
    1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce

1. Put chicken into crockpot, making sure to remove any skin first.
    2. Pour jar of sauce over chicken.
    3. Cook 6-8 hours on low.

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

Italian Beef Sandwiches:

* 3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef roast, sirloin tip or rump roast
    * 1 Tablespoon of dried Italian Drsg. mix (Good Seasons Zesty Italian)
    * 12 ounces (jar) sliced pepperoncini peppers w/juice
    * 1 tsp EACH: anise, fennel seed, oregano, sesame seed
    * 10 ounce can condensed beef broth
    * 8 ounces beer

PREPARATION:
    Place beef roast in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine pepperoncini peppers, spices and condensed beef broth.

Add all mixture to crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 to 14 hours, until meat is very tender. Use a fork to shred for sandwiches. Let simmer for another 15 mins. Serve with crusty Italian rolls or crusty bread. Makes 8-12 sandwiches...depending on size of buns.

• artemis_pa
    16 years ago

LOVE this one...just made it for a family picnic. I found it on the net a while ago...family loves it!

Beef-On-A-Stick
    3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    3 tablespoons sherry
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
    1 1/2 pounds flank steak
    skewers: if wood...soak in water for 30 minutes

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, sherry, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, green onions, garlic, and ginger.
    2. Cut flank steak across grain on a diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour hoisin sauce mixture over slices, and mix well. Refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight. I sometimes leave it for over a day.
    3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Discard marinade, and thread steak on skewers.
    4. Oil the grill grate. Grill skewers 3 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. YUMMY!

Another recipe the family loves:

Guam Chicken:
    1 - 2 whole chickens cut up
    1 bottle beer
    1 jar sliced jalepenos with juice
    1 large yellow onion sliced thinly
    1 bottle soy sauce (low sodium)

Put chicken and all ingredients in some kind of tupperware container trying to have all pieces of chicken covered. Generally I try and have equal amounts of beer, soy sauce and peppers. Refrigerate for 3 days, stirring once or twice a day. It will NOT spoil. Then after 3 days it is ready for the BBQ grill. Remove meat from marinade. Dump marinade. Grill the chicken until done. It is fantastic with fried rice and a green salad or fruit salad. I usually make extra thighs as the dark meat seems to be more flavorful than the breast meat.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Hi everyone.. great recipes! I am new here ... glad I found it, looking forward to try them all out. I will post a favorite lunch/dinner one soon. .but for now.. here's one to top off your delicious meals
    Its a fruit dip recipe: (moms, here is a way to get your kids to love fruit!)

(1) 8 oz. PKG. of cream cheese
    (1) jar of Fluff
    Orange juice (splash)

Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Place in mixing bowl. Add one jar of Fluff..blend together with a hand mixer. When it has a creamy consistency, add a splash of OJ..more to your taste. Blend once again until mixed. serve right away, or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Drizzle it over your favorite fruit or use as a dip. I usually make a fruit salad. I use cantaloupe, red grapes, water melon, honey dew, strawberries and blueberries. What I also do is each fruit I cut up, I put it in its own zip lock bag. When its time to make the fruit salad, I just add as much as I need and there is always left over. This eliminates "soggy" fruit and its always crisp.. when the bowl gets empty, I just refill it.. fresh every time.. hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.. its a great summer treat ( also to bring when your invited to a BBQ, it will be sure to be a hit)
    Enjoy

• Plow_In
    16 years ago

Is there any way to make the No Peek recipe less salty? Do either of the soups come salt-free? After years of cutting our intake of salt, this one made my ankle swell! But it sure was good. DH loved it, and ate it for 3 nights.

• cyn123
    16 years ago

These recipes look great. I can't wait to try them especially the no peek recipe. I asked my kids what they considered their favorite family meal and both said my burritos so here goes the recipe. I must warn that I usually make a large batch that makes, tostadas, and nachos the next 2 days lol

Refried beans (either homemade cooked in a crockpot on low for 6 hrs) or 2 large cans of old el paso with cheese beans

2 1/2 pounds of ground sirloin (I like to pick out a nice piece and have the butcher ground it) a bit expensive but well worth it
    1 jalepeno pepper roasted and finely chopped
    2+ cups of cheddar cheese
    16 oz of sour cream
    1 medium jar of hot taco sauce
    1 medium jar of your choose, hot medium or mild depending of your tastes taco sauce
    1 pkg of taco seasoning
    1 small can of sliced black olives
    2 medium vine ripe tomatoes chopped
    2 cups of lettuce shredded
    1 pkg of mission tortillas (burrito size works best)
    1 small scallion
    1/2 small sweet onion chopped small

In a large fry pan brown the hamburger meat, 1 tomato,jalepeno and scallion. Drain well.
    Dump the meat mixture back in the pan, add beans, hot taco sauce, taco seasoning, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and aprox 4 oz of sour cream or about 1/2 cup. Heat until hot making sure to stir often while that is heating..in another pan heat the the tortillas on low heat one at a time. I have a gas stove so I like to heat mine right on the fire...it makes a huge difference..if you do that though please be careful not to burn yourself...I did many times in the beginning lol

once everything is heated I set my kitchen table with everyone their own plate with a tortilla on it..and line the rest of the table with bowls of everything else. We follow around in buffet style to make our own. Then off to the living room we go for dinner and a movie...They are wonderful and don't take long if you use the can beans (hint hint) :)

• grams33
    16 years ago

What can I substitute for the ginger ale in the no peek casserole? Recipes sound so good, but how can one lose weight trying them all?????

• rojo71
    16 years ago

We tried no peek and chicken mcnicken this week and both were a huge hit!!! thank you!!! i hope to try the pork chop bake this weekend!

• mamalou
    16 years ago

I tried the Ribs in a Pot recipe that use2bcapecodr posted---it is now a family favorite!! Delicious!!!

• norasnews
    16 years ago

Chicken Swiss

Preheat oven to 350

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    6 slices swiss cheese
    1 can Cream of Chicken Soup mixed with 1/4 c milk (or water or white wine or sherry.. )
    1 cup herb stuffing mix (I use Pepp Farm. Original recipe from Southern Living says to pour melted butter on top of stuffing, but I don't so that!)

Layer in a greased casserole in order listed.. starting with chicken on bottom...

Bake for about 50 min

• neesie
    16 years ago

An easy one, adapted from a Chicken flavored Stove Top Stuffing box I make when I have left over chicken or turkey:

It is similar to chicken pot pie without the crust:

Thaw one large bag of mixed vegetables
    Small amount (maybe 1 teaspoon) poultry seasoning
    Large family size can of Cream of Chicken soup
    Diced left-over chicken or turkey
    milk

Warm the large can of cream of chicken soup in a large skillet or pan, dilute with 1/3 can of milk.

Add vegetables, poultry seasoning & cubed chicken or turkey.

Heat through and serve over toast, biscuits or rice. Original recipe called for topping the mixture with Chicken flavor Stove Top stuffing which was also good. But I usually serve this over toast or biscuits.

• mandogirl
    16 years ago

I made the "Baked Spaghetti" that Kim-OK posted way at the top. I've made it twice now...once with ground beef and once with sweet italian sausage instead. This is a great recipe!!! Our preference is the sausage in place of beef. Wonderful! We got 2 family meals for 4 people out of it plus a couple of lunch portions for me at work.
    Yummy!
    - mando

• mandogirl
    16 years ago

also meant to add...
    my 4-year old has aptly named Kim-OK's Baked Spaghetti "Mommy's Mixed Up Spaghetti" ;-).

The verdict is still out on whether it's Mommy who's mixed up or the spaghetti that's mixed up...or both. ;-)
    Anyway, it's a great recipe that my family loves. Thanks.

• willeneg
    16 years ago

My husband & I love this Baked Salmon:
    Mix yellow mustard & balsamic vinegar (more mustard than vinegar). Brush on salmon. Bake at 425 degrees about 15 minutes.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I've just cut-and-pasted a dozen recipes to try! By way of thanks, here are two of my favorites . . .

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
    15 minutes preparation time, 8 hours cooking time

2 (15oz.) cans black beans
    2 (15 oz.) cans Rotel tomatoes with chilies
    1 (14.5 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
    1 cup salsa, your preference as to strength (I use medium)

Without draining anything, place all in crockpot; stir until mixed.

2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- Rinse and submerge in the above mixture. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks. Return chicken to crockpot.
    1 can Niblets corn -- Stir in and heat 10-15 minutes, or just long enough to get corn and chicken hot.

Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Using the Rotel tomatoes with chilies will produce a spicy soup for milder soup, use regular diced tomatoes and mild salsa. This recipe freezes perfectly its like money in the bank! Enjoy! :o).

California Casserole
    1 lb. hamburger, raw
    1 chopped onion
    1 diced green pepper
    ¾ lb. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or any yellow cheese)
    ½ lb. (1½ c.) raw elbow macaroni
    2 tsp. salt
    ½ tsp. pepper
    1 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
    16 oz. can diced tomatoes
    sliced black olives as many as you want I use a big can!
    Combine all ingredients and mix well. Bake in covered casserole for 2 hours at 325. Uncover for the last 30 minutes. This is a meat-loaf type of dish.

I tried this when my kids were little, thinking that it had some odd ingredients and was probably going to be a bust. Everyone loved it and I still make it frequently.

Hope you enjoy!

Arlene

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

There have been so many good recipes posted on this thread!
    Here's one of our favorites.
    You can make Jerk chicken or Jerk pork, or even beef with this marinade. It's got a little heat to it, but it's not too hot. If you like it even cooler, use a milder pepper such as a jalapeno.
    It's also very versatile in that you can make this meat in the crockpot by just marinating it as it cooks,pour the sauce over the meat before cooking-- or you can marinade it for a day or two or three before cooking in the refrigerator, or you can bake it in the oven, or on the grill after marinading.
    It's really good with pork chops, ribs, pork roast, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, whole chicken, chicken legs *then the kids call it giant chicken wings*

Jerk marinade

1 med-large onion, quartered
    1 t dried thyme leaves
    1 t salt
    3 t sugar
    1 t ground allspice
    1/2 t ground nutmeg
    1/2 t ground cinnamon
    2 hot peppers, preferably habanero or scotch bonnet
    1/4 t ground black pepper
    3 T soy sauce
    1 T cooking or olive oil
    1 T cider or white vinegar

blend together until it's all liquefied. This makes an excellent marinade and will keep as it is in the refrigerator for up to one month. Can be frozen indefinitely. Marinade meat for up to three days, then bake, grill, or crockpot.
    Thicken the juice from the meat along with the leftover marinade with some cornstarch and water, then serve it alongside the meat with some cooked rice, cooked with some frozen peas. Great!
    Makes 1 1/2 cups of marinade.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Crock pot... beef roast... 12 oz can of beer. Cook till roast is tender.

You can add canned mushrooms at the end if you want and thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch mixed in water.

Serve with mashed potatoes and salad. My family's favorite couldn't be easier.

• farmhouseindy
    15 years ago

OK I haven't posted in years but after reading all these posts, I thought I should contribute something too!! This was in our newspaper and got great reviews so I tried it although I wasn't sure about the chicken apple combo. It is very yummy and a little different than the standard chicken chili. Everyone loves it so you might too!!

Chicken Apple Chili

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 pounds chicken tenders cut in 1/2 inch thick slices (I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs) frozen from TJs or kroger
    4 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    salt and pepper
    2 apples cut into 1/2 inch cubes (you can peel or not. doesn't really make a difference)
    1 chopped onion
    4 T butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups chicken broth
    3/4 cup milk
    1 15-oz cans pinto or white beans rinsed (canneli or white kidney)
    2 cups shredded mont jack cheese
    chips
    scallions for serving.

Heat 2 T olive oil over med heat in large dutch oven. Add chicken, chili and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes or so longer if using thighs. transfer to bowl
    In same pot, heat 2 T olive oil. add apples and onion til softened, 6 minutes. add to chicken.
    Same pot again. melt butter over med low. Whisk in flour for 1 minute. whisk in chicken broth and milk til thickened, 3 minutes. stir in chicken, apples and beans. Simmer then stir in cheese. serve with tortillas and scallions. Better the next day.

• shandon00
    15 years ago

Love this thread!!!

Our family LOVES the no peek. Big hit. Thank you!

Here is one of my familys favorite!

Souvlaki

2 to 21/2 pounds of pork tenderloin cubed (chicken works well too)

MARINADE:
    1/4 C Olive oil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano (or 1tsp dried)
    1 clove garlic minced
    salt and pepper to taste

Marinate pork overnight
    BBQ pork on skewers until done. Place on warmed pitas. Garnish with tomatoes and red onion and sauce.

SAUCE:
    equal parts plain yogurt and sour cream
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 tsp rosemary
    Mix and let sit overnight

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

I love all the recipes posted in this thread. They all sounds so delicious no wonder its a family favorite. My family loves pasta dishes.

• melaska
    13 years ago

Wow...I didn't even know this forum was here! I've been living in the kitchen & building forums. I raised 4 kids & a husband in the 'wilds' of Alaska. We're empty nesters now but I still like to cook in bulk & freeze. Having 4 kids I cooked a lot :) Baked & baked some more. I don't bake anymore & I do miss it but I sure don't need it! :)

Anyway, I'd like to join in on the fun & share a few recipes. Thank you, everyone, for such great ideas!

I even took a picture of it last year so I'll put it at the bottom.

EDAMAME SALAD

This is a very easy salad that is so colorful, fresh & low carb.

2 bags shelled Edamame, (soybeans) cooked according to package directions, run cold water over to stop cooking. Note: You can buy shelled Edamame in the freezer section

Toasted sesame seeds, if desired
    Roasted slivered almonds
    Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
    Red bell peppers, diced for color contrast
    Small cubes of cheese (Habanera Jack, etc.)
    Grape tomatoes
    Vinaigrette dressing of choice (I use Balsamic vinegar & Extra-virgin olive oil.)
    Option: Add some smoked salmon for a more main dish salad

Mix all ingredients except nuts & chill.
    Add nuts just before serving.

• mooner
    13 years ago

great recipes all. for the questions about the no peek casserole, I use chicken all the time and quite often just use the veggies I have in the fridge. So don't worry about the mushrooms if yu do't like them, substitute what you like.
    Now if I get carried away with extra veggies, I quite often double the sauce......hope this helps.

• cropsey
    12 years ago

Bumping this forum-- when my kitchen is completed, I will try many of these recipes...

• kat123
    11 years ago

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what do you mean by "bump"? And how do you do it? Also, can anyone tell me how to"undue" whatever is keeping me from emailing certain recipes to myself? Thanks so mucn!

• crazybusytoo
    11 years ago

Kat123, to "bump" is to make the thread current so it doesn't get lost in the old threads :)

Wish I could help with the undue...I just cut and paste the recipes into a word doc so I can print them.

Great ideas here! Thanks everyone!

• Andy-Andrew
    11 years ago

Hello,
    my family loves this italian sausage soup, i post here the easy recipe:

Total Time: 0:55
    Servings: 6

Ingredients

1 pound Italian sausage
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
    1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
    2 small zucchini, cubed
    2 cups spinach � packed, rinsed and torn
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Everyone of my family love it so much!
    :-)

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

Mexican Pie

Spray a glass pie plate with Pam.
    Mix Refried Beans with a can of rinsed and drained black beans, add in a small can of diced green chilies and some salsa (until you get a nice consistency.
    Layer flour tortillas (the large ones that will come up the side of the pie plate) with a layer of the bean mixture and then some taco or enchilada sauce and shredded cheese, repeat to fill plate and then top with a final tortilla. cover with foil and bake on 375 for 1/2 hour. Take off foil and top with some more shredded cheese and bake a few more minutes.
    Slice like pie and serve with salad. Sometimes i shred lettuce and dice tomatoes and top the pie with that and some sour cream.
    You could definitely add meat but I have vegetarian kids.

• haydonidseew
    10 years ago

Recipe for:
    Fried chicken wings(finger licking good!!!)
    ingredients:
    2kg chicken wings
    [seasoning]:
    Oyster sauce (4 tbsp)
    Soy sauce (8 tbsp)
    Ground white pepper (generous sprinkling)
    sesame oil (2 tbsp)
    sugar (2 tbsp)
    honey (2 tbsp)

Method:
    Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan until its really hot and then put the marinated chicken wings inside.
    Cook with medium heat so as not to burn chicken before the insides are cooked.Fry chicken until the chicken skin feels slightly crunchy.(approx 10 to 20 mins)
    Tips: Break chicken wing into two parts:wing and drumstick to facilitate frying and to fry more at once, break the joints in the chicken wing so that they can be more easily arranged.
    This dish is great served with rice or with wedges and vegetables or just by itself as a snack or as an accompaniment for beer!
    Serves 4 to 5.

• ruthz
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

This is a great thread. Would love to see more great recipes added.

Crock pot...

Pork tenderloin or boneless chicken

16 ounce jar of salsa or picante sauce

last 30 minutes of cooking, add 8 ounce cream cheese

Serve over rice

Sponsored