Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vacuum Sealer recommendations, please

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 14:15

I have a very old vacuum sealer that I don't use as often as I should. One of the reasons is that I need to hold it down until the all the air is taken out and sometimes it works well and other times not as well.

Are there newer models that you don't have to press down on them to get the air out?

Which models do you recommend?

What about the vacuum sealed containers that come with some of the models? How do these work? Must you buy these containers only from the vacuum sealer's company?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vacuum Sealer recommendations, please

I have the Tilia Foodsaver but an inexpensive model. I do have to hold down the tab until it is sealed but it is not a problem. Perhaps the more expensive models have a feature so you don't have to hold it down. I did get the canisters thru Tilia and they are well worth the money. I have kept salad greens fresh for over two weeks. I also have the wide mouth sealer for canning jars and like that feature, too.
I had another Tilia Foodsaver that I had for many years and it eventually lost its ability to vacuum seal and then I broke the tip off the tubing I used on the canisters so I got rid of it. Then found out I really missed the convenience so bought another one.
I keep my Foodsaver on the counter and I use it several times a day. It is great when you find bargains at the market and have a freezer.
I have also sealed my sterling silverware in the bags to prevent tarnish....does a great job.

o
RE: Vacuum Sealer recommendations, please

I heartily endorse what "Carol in California" says about the Tilia Food Saver!! It is a wonderful appliance.

I have an old "pro" model, which has given good service through several years now. I do have to press down to get the vacuum started, but once it starts I can let go and it finishes on its own....I do not have to keep holding down to complete the vacuuming process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here