SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Frost and freezer burn?

alison
20 years ago

Since I cook for one, I like the idea of freezing extra portions of meals. A few months ago, I thought I would get a little more organized, and bought a lot of Glad/Hefty type freezer containers to store meals, so I can simply grab one and take it to work for lunch, or pop it in the fridge to start defrosting for dinner. I also like to buy meat on sale, and re-wrap it in small portions to pull out as needed.

The problem is, they don't seem to freeze well. Even though I allow cooked food to cool completely before I package it up to freeze, when I pull it out a week or so later, it's bristling with frost. I wrap chicken, for example, in saranwrap or tinfoil, then put several packets in a heavy-duty Ziplock freezer bag. But when I pull them out and thaw them, they meat has that dry, splotchy skin I associate with freezer burn. And frozen meat never seems to cook up very well. (Fish is the only exception.)

Is there something else I can do? It's frustrating to spend the money on the ingredients, or the energy on the cooking, only to end up pitching it because it's not palatable. I hate to go back to my old ways of making a pan of lasagna and eating nothing but till it's gone....

(It's a small, frost-free freezer, and is usually packed with food, so I doubt anything ever has a chance to warm up.)

Would appreciate any advice you have!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz