Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ham recipes needed

Posted by Sherrylf (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 02 at 10:59

Hi,

I just bought a really big ham (really good sale) and I'm wondering if anyone has any tired and true freezer recipes or we'll be eating baked ham for a week.

Thanks
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ham recipes needed

It's good stirred into macaroni and cheese with a few sauteed onions and such - then bake. We also freeze small packages of thickly sliced for dinner or breakfast, and thinly sliced for sandwiches at a later date. Just put in ziplocks and remove ALL the air.

My favorite has to be a Potato, Onion & Ham au Gratin, but without cheese. Saute 4 large (yes,4) thinly sliced onions in butter. Thinly slice 6-8 peeled potatos. Put 1/2 the thinly slice potatos in a shallow dish that has been sprayed with pam - cover the bottom like a crust. Layer 1/2 the onions on top; then thinly sliced, or diced, ham; sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste) and sprinkle with a very small amount of nutmeg; top with the rest of the sauteed onions. Top with the remaining potatos (I make sure I have enough to totally cover, like another crust). Making sure you wet all the potato surfaces, pour 1 1/2 cups heavy cream over the top and sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Bake uncovered at 375 for approximately 1 1/2 hours basting occasionally with an additional 1/2 c. or so of cream (You'll use no more than 2 cups total). It will be done when the potatos start turing a golden brown.

Quite simple when using a processor or vegie slicer to do all the cutting and really very good. Careful not to over do the nutmeg and really the onions are not overpowering. My daughter HATES onions and likes this dish. I've also been known to put spinach in the middle with the onions - just thaw and squeeze all the moisture out.) I think I cut the recipe out years ago from a Williams Sonoma cookbook advertisement.

o

I always buy a big ham when it's on sale, cut it into smaller meal size portions for about two meals worth and freeze in ziplock. I thaw and bake as is or include in casseroles later. I've never tried to actually pre-make anything.

One of my favorite recipes is what I call scalloped ham and potatoes. I don't have set amounts. The only ingrediants are sliced potatoes, cubed ham or small pieces of sliced ham, and 1 or 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. I slice enough potatoes to fill a 9"x13" cake pan about half way and then I add the ham (probably about a pound worth, but you can add more or less.) Stir together with the potatoes and one or two cans of the soup (just use enough soup to coat the potatoes). The soup can be thinned with a small amount of water if desired. Cover and bake in a regular oven or microwave until the potatoes are done. If the soup is too runny, bake it longer. Stir one or two times while baking. For seasoning, you can add a little pepper if desired. Ham and the cream of mushroom soup usually contain a lot of salt so I don't add any extra.

o

I like to grind some and freeze and then pull out whatever amount I want to make ham salad. My family loves it for lunch sandwiches.

o

I like to make this with ham:

Myrna's Vermacelli

8 oz box vermacelli
1 cup minute rice
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cans french onion soup
cubed left over ham (1 pound or more to taste and appetites)
1-2 bunches of green onions - sliced (green part too)

Melt butter or margarine in a large fry pan ( I use my electric frypan - A non stick wok works too) Break vermacelli into 2-3 inch lengths and brown in butter with the rice until golden (like rice-a-roni). Stir often and watch it because it will burn.

Add the soup, 2 cans of water and the ham. Cover and cook over low heat until the noodles are tender and the water is absorbed - about 10 minutes or so. Just before serving stir in the sliced onions.

This makes a bunch and is a huge favorite at our house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here