Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK.everyone check in.

Posted by BigMama (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 8:55

Hey everyone....thought I'd say hello and check in to see what you all are doing..I have been dieting and got behind in OAMC so I am right back on track....I am working hard at getting some low point Weight Watcher type meals in the freezer....

What are you doing in your OAMC mode?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK.everyone check in.

Looks like things are moving a little slowly here. Just checking in also to see what's new since last time I checked. I've been watching carbs and now avoiding beef, so I'm searching for ideas. Not Atkins but noticed simple carbs make me too hungry. Also avoid hydrogenated fats so I have to do my own concoctions which is always better, making me learn to cook again. I'll check my files for some appropriate WW type recipes.

o

Here's a couple of recipes that may fit into your diet plan.

This is an easy recipe to fix ahead of time and pop in the oven to heat. Serves 4

Spinach & Ricotta Manicotti

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, 10 oz pkg.
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
8 manicotti shells, cooked (if uncooked, add a little extra water and refrigerate a few hours or overnight before cooking)
1 can, 15 oz, diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 tsp. basil leaves, crushed
1 tsp, oregano, crushed
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

Mix spinach, ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, garlic salt. Stuff manicotti shells with mix and place in a baking dish, 12x8. Mix tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano with 1 cup water. Pour over manicotti. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake uncovered in preheated 350 degree oven, 30 minutes or until heated through.

This is good served with crusty French bread to sop up juices or over steamed rice:

Eggplant Casserole

1 large eggplant
Salt
Flour
1 large onion, sliced
3-4 Tbs. olive oil
1-2 sliced bell peppers
1-2 sliced zucchini
2-3 sliced tomatoes
(I like to add Italian spices to saute)
1 cup grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
Garlic pepper

Slice eggplant 1/2 inch thick. Lightly salt and let stand on cutting board for 15 minutes. Dipp eggplant in flour and set aside. Saute onion in olive oil, set aside. Add eggplant to pan and brown on both sides. Put onions on top, then layer peppers, zucchini and tomatoes. Let simmer gently until vegetables are tender. Cover with cheese for last minute before serving. Sprinkle with garlic pepper.

You can add ground meat if you want. Saute after the onions.

o

Hi,
Great recipes! I think I need to go over my meal planning some more before I do the OAM thing again. I allowed too much food the last time---we have a lot still left over----one reason is that it's just DH and me, we don't eat as much as I had planned. Such as, one baking chicken could be 2 meals, not one.

One of my biggest problems is getting DH used to the idea of eating frozen leftovers. Example---I cooked a turkey a few weeks back, froze some of the leftovers---he won't eat them---I guess I'll just use them in a casserole or soup so he won't recognize them--lol.

Also, I ran into this problem at my last big grocery shopping trip----some of the chicken breasts were frozen and thawing out------I was afraid to buy them since I was planning on freezing them--------that's one reason I bought the whole baking chickens.

This week I hope to do the whole loaf of bread---french toast where you just cook the toast and then put it back in the same bread pkg. I think it has to be flash-frozen to do that. Has anybody done that?

o

Just realized this forum was here! I am looking forward to looking at new ideas!

deb

o

Yellowhair -- That's a great idea about the french toast. Last week I had some creme brulee toast I had wrapped and frozen in pairs -- that was cooked back in October. Thawed it in the microwave for 3 minutes, cooked it on high for 2 minutes -- it was great!

o

Thanks. I'd seen this posted on another forum, so I can't take the credit for it----I want to try it this week. I would love to try some of the eggs on english muffins that are frozen. I'll scramble the eggs this time, tried some biscuits with fried eggs---they didn't reheat too well.

o

Hi Big Mama,
I just stumbled over here from other places..I am really wanting to start cooking a little here and there. My DH has been doing it all for a long long time. I would like to be able to help him out since we both work.

littlebit

o

Hello... just checking out this site. I've lurked at the KT & Recipe/Dessert exchange off & on for a few years & rarely posted... but now I don't work, so I can get more involved!

It's just the 2 of us, so I cook small easy meals almost every day... but occasionally look up recipes online for something "different"

LeeAnn~~northeast AL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here