Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just bought a chest freezer..need to fill!

Posted by CathyCDK (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 02 at 22:43

Hello everyone :)
We just bought a 15 cu. ft. chest freezer that will be delivered next week. How in the world do we fill it so that it will run efficiently without bankrupting our food budget? I know that eventually it will really help us save by stocking up and cooking ahead, but the thought of a half empty freezer wasting energy turns my stomach.
Thanks for you suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just bought a chest freezer..need to fill!

I made lots of soups, stews and chilis to stock in mine. Also great to buy bulk meat. Get a family pack of hamburger or chicken etc.. and break it down into meal size bags, if you are having company take out 2. Sometimes you can get deals at local meat plants on cases of sausage, hot dogs or chicken breasts.

o

I'm no expert and don't have a freezer myself but I think I read that they are more efficient when full, even if it's just ice in there. So if you can only fill it up half way, try jugs of water in there for ice. Can someone confirm this or set me straight?

o

Great idea! you are right they are more efficient when full so if there is too much space anything in it helps although a pain when you need something below.

o

Buy ice cream in bulk!

I also keep a platter from Pampered Chef that keeps things cold in my extra freezer. It needs to freeze for a few hours before using, and I always forget to do it when I need to, so now I just keep it in there. The same with the tub for my ice cream maker. Who wants to wait the 6+ hours for that thing to freeze up?

o

We have a big chest freezer. I raise vegetables in garden and we also raise beef and lamb so our freezer is, at times, full to the brim and other times, it may be half full. When I want to keep it full to run efficiently, I freeze the two ltr pop bottles full of ice tea or water. Coincidentally, this is usually during the summer which really works great as I can take out the frozen water/tea and put in cooler which helps keep the other items cold and it is great to drink. I also buy bread at the day old bakeries to keep in the freezer.

o

Hello everyone!
I'm enjoying reading all of your ideas! Please keep sending them along! I can't wait to get my freezer so I can start filling it! I've been longing to make things in advance to freeze in meal size portions, make baby food, and to try things like making homemade frozen pizzas, cookie dough, etc. I really like the frozen ice tea idea! We drink a lot of ice tea and water in my house and that will work great!

Thanks again everyone.
Cathy

o

I do frozen pizzas all the time, they dont need cooking before freezing. I have also been making ahead and freezing sausage rolls, cabbage rolls, pirogies with all differnt fillings, lasagna, shepherds pie, chicken wings, burritos, they are all great for tired nights all you need is a day or 2 free for cooking non stop but it is worth it.

o

Can it hold.....something say.......6 feet tall????

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

o

6' 2" even. No Problem. But you have to use a ramp out of 2 X 6 's to get "it" in there!! (Fold before rigor mortis sets in)
:o)
~chay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here