Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shredded Chicken ???

Posted by Jamie_AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 02 at 14:47

I am looking for the directions/recipe for making shredded chicken (to be used for enchiladas...) I have no clue how to make it. Any recipes or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shredded Chicken ???

Jamie, here is a recipe for shredded chicken that you can use in enchiladas as well as other mexican dishes.

Ann.

Mexican Shredded Chicken
By Kate Heyhoe

Yield: About 4 to 5 cups shredded chicken, plus broth

Traditional Mexican poached chicken uses water as the sole poaching liquid, but it also uses a whole bird with white and dark meat. The dark meat gives the broth a richer flavor than white meat alone. Because I use convenient chicken breast halves in this recipe, I add a can of low sodium chicken broth to the poaching liquid to make it more flavorful. After the chicken is shredded you can use it in all sorts of Mexican dishes, as described in my column Mexican Shredded Chicken & Toasted Corn Soup.

Ingredients

3 to 4 chicken breast halves,
with bone and skin (about 3 pounds)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
2 bay leaves
Pinch of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5-ounce) can low sodium chicken broth

Arrange the chicken breast halves snugly in a large, deep saucepan or pot. Sprinkle on the onion, garlic, marjoram, oregano, bay leaves, thyme and salt. Add the can of chicken broth and enough water to just cover the chicken.

Bring the liquid to a boil on high heat. Partially cover and reduce the heat to low, so the liquid just simmers. (Make sure the liquid does not boil again.) Cook for 7 minutes, then cover the pot completely and remove from the heat. Let the chicken cool in the broth for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

At this point, the chicken and broth may be refrigerated until ready to use. Once cold, the fat will solidify on top and can be easily discarded. The chicken and broth will keep 2 to 3 days.

Or, you may use the chicken immediately. Remove it from the broth and shred into small pieces, discarding the bone and skin. Reserve the broth for moistening the chicken shreds or for another use. (Discard the bay leaves.)

Uses for shredded chicken:
Serve in warm tortillas with salsa and lettuce. Pack into bolillos (Mexican rolls) with strips of pickled jalapeo and seasoned cabbage. Roll it into burritos, enchiladas or tacos. Mix it into a salad.

Uses for the broth:
Turn it into tortilla soup or Toasted Corn Soup, or use it as the cooking liquid for beans or rice.

o

All I do is simmer chicken parts in water for 3-4 hours until it falls of the bones then pull it apart in shreds (or all day in the crockpot). I usually also save the stock and make soup with it and some of the shredded chicken.

o

I don't really use any special recipe. (And shredded turkey is great too.) Just take a chicken prepared any way and use a fork. Scrape it and it'll come apart in shreds. Great for chicken salad, chili, sandwiches, etc.

Ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here