Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Peek Stew

Posted by rosieclown (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 02 at 12:34

I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can you add vegetables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Peek Stew

Was just drooling over this in the cooking forum so copied and pasted it for you. Sue

No Peek Casserole

2 lbs stew meat ( i use 3 lbs)
1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup Gingerale
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Preheat oven to 300. Comebine ALL ingredients (DO NOT
brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water)
together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's
cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to
3 hours. DON't PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed
potatoe's. The smell as it's cooking is WONDERFUL

o

I wasn't sure if the veggies would get mooshy (mushy?) by being cooked so long, so I zapped carrots in the microwave and added them when I took the stew out of the oven. Maybe next time I'll try onions and potatoes and carrots! This dish is soooooo yummy!

o

I made it too and it was lovely but very salty. I think it might have been the meat I used so next time i'll try a better cut or maybe put onion in instead of the french onion dry mix. Sue.

o

what size casserole do you use?

o

I used a 3 litre corningware casserole dish with the lid on.
Sue

o

I made this last year and thought it was wonderful as well. I tried to get more interest in the post to collect more suggestions like this one but it didnt work. I do remember thinking it was salty tasting too but I think it was from the onion soup. Any other good easy recipes like that one? I love to dump stuff and then put in the oven for a long time and then have a great meal!

o

Fixed this yesterday; used Campbell's onion soup mix rather than Lipton's; I think the Lipton's taste is too pungent; at the end, I couldn't resist "creaming the gravy" with about 1/2 cup sour cream before serving over egg noodles & sprinkling with fresh-ground romano cheese; not one serving left; definitely will make this again; excellent quality-to-effort ratio. By the way, I did not peek.

o

Yummo I love the idea of the sour cream. I didn't peek either but it had formed a sort of skin on top by the time it came out of the oven but that wasn't a problem. I'll definately make it again and try a different onion mix. I served it with mashed potatoes.

Sheilaaus this is a really nice and easy recipe so I hope you like it.

ASPARAGUS AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
1 cooked chicken
1 tin asparagus cuts
1 onion, peel and dice
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 oz bacon, remove rind and dice
salt and pepper
quarter cup flour
3oz grated cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup water
oil for frying

Break up chicken, removing bones and place in a casserole dish. In a frying pan saute onion and bacon. Add flour and stir until combined. Remove from heat. Add milk, water, undrained asparagus, crumbled stock cubes, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Return to heat and stir until boiling and thicker. Stir in grated cheese until it melts. Pour this mix over chicken in casserole. Cover and bake at 200 degrees Celcius for 25 minutes. Serves 4 and is very nice.

o

I'm wondering... can this be frozen before cooking and then cooked later? I'd like to make it for someone who just had a baby, if she can just pop the whole thing in the freezer to make another day. I'm wondering how the gingerale and other ingredients will freeze. Has anyone tried it?

o

I am not sure about freezing it uncooked; it would probably work but I just dont know; I am sure that if cooked and then frozen, it would be wonderful reheated. Boy would I have appreciated this back when I was newly out of the hospital!

o

I made this last weekend for my family and my mom and brothers and served with mashed potatoes. The guys especially loved it and have asked for it again. What a hit and what an easy dish. I used Campbell's soup as well and didn't use the whole pkg. I used Golden Mushroom soup which is what I thought the orig recipe called for.
This is definitely on the list of favorites.

o

Jacksmum,

I thought it was a little salty too. Of course, when I tasted it it had already cooked for 3 hours so I added a carton of sour cream! It took care of the salt and added a nice creamy texture. Next time I'll either cut down on the Lipton Soup Mix or add a can of consomme with some julienned onions.

o

Hi all, first time poster to this particular forum.

I made this recipe for supper tonight and it was FANTASTIC, but I made some alterations - used cream of chicken soup instead - DH hates mushrooms.

I also added 4 medium potatoes and 2 big carrots, cut in big hefty chunks. They did become VERY soft but fortunately that's how DH likes 'em - and they had that really nice slow roasted flavour. The potatoes took on a really lovely velvety texture that made me just feel warm all over.
Perfect meal for a snowy March day!

I did not find this too salty, because I think the addition of the veg helped to tone it down a little. But in case anyone wants the substitution, instead of Lipton onion soup you could use this lower salt alternative : 1/4 cup minced onion and 2 TBSP Oxo Reduced Salt Beef Boullion.

Hope this is helpful.

o

No Peek was great with Lipton's onion but I used cr/chicken soup with fresh sliced mushrooms since I couldn't find chicken mushroom. Everyone loved it. I think next time I'll try the sour cream with it. Looks like it can be adjusted to suit a variety of tastes. The gravy was sooo good!

o

I put "NO PEEK" in the oven at night to serve the next day.

Guess what - I FORGOT it was in the oven until it was cooking for 4-1/2 hours!! When I raised the lid of the "Dutch Oven" pot, it looked a little mushy (like a stew), but definitely eatable. I folded in about a half cup of red wine and half a package of onion soup mix and left it on top of the stove overnight to cool. The smell was mouth watering, and I can't wait to have it for lunch today at the office.

Just spoon it into a zip lock sandwich bag and heat in the microwave. Yummy.

I really don't think you can go wrong as long as you have a 300 degree oven, stew meat and "good old" Golden Mushroom.
Sandra

o

Sorry, I could not help but peek because I have a glass top roaster. But, boy does it look good cooking. It tastes even better. I added very large chunks of carrots so they would not get too soft. No leftovers in our house! I'll be making the asparagus/chicken casserole next. I love these type of recipes.

o

Seems like last year I read that you could make the no peek stew in a crockpot. I was wondering if that was true and if anyone has tried it in a crockpot?
Thanks
Huggybear

o

I know this is a little late, but I make no peek every few weeks and ALWAYS cook it in the crockpot - delicious! Just stir everything together, cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2 hours, depending on your crockpot.

o
slow cooker = crock pot??

Is it okay to use my slow cooker instead of a crock pot for crock pot recipes? Probably a dumb question, but maybe it does make a difference. Hope not because I don't have a crock pot!

o

kat, it's my understanding that a slow cooker is the same as a Crock Pot. Crock Pot is a brand name, like General Electric or Hamilton Beach, etc.

Annie

o

I make my no peek stew with carrots, frozen peas ,celery,potatoes,meat,onions quartered,and 2TBSP. of minute tapioca mixed into a large can of tomato juice , which i pour over the meat and veggies in a large roaster. Cover and cook at 300 degrees .The minute tapioca thickens the sauce. I have also added mushrooms and used just water, no tomato juice, or used a large can of stewed tomatoes. :)My family loves it.

o

quick question: what's up with the ginger ale the recipe on top is mentioning in the ingredients list? Is it important for the end result? Can I substitute with something else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here