SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Saving squash

alison
19 years ago

Had to pass along my recent discovery.

Bought a couple of average-to-small acorn squash about 10 days ago. Cut them in half, gutted them, then mixed up flavored butters for each. A couple with butter/brown sugar/mace, a couple with butter/dill, a couple with thmye and cumin. Put a small pat of the the butter in the center, sealed each half individually, took them to work and tossed them in the fridge.

They're great! I open the bag, take out the butter and put the squash face down on a plate with about a tablespoon or so of water. Nuke it on high for 4-5 minutes, then dump the water, put the squash face up and let them butter melt in the cavity.

They're just about snack size, and I pick based on whether I want a sweet or savory snack. Plus I'm getting a lot more of my beta carotene needs than usual.

Not exactly cook ahead -- altho' the one I nuked this morning was just as good as the one I had 10 days ago -- but a convenient, cheap and healthy pre-packaged snack to have at work!

I wonder how it would work if I froze the package after sealing it? Probably wouldn't do anything to the texture of the squash and I could keep them indefinitely. Altho' it's not like acorn squash are ever particularly expensive.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry