Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thawing frozen flour

Posted by levander404 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 11:04

I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn bread. I know whole grain flours need to be frozen after opened if you're not gonna use them fairly quickly.

But, you're supposed to bring them back to room temperature before using. I assume this is so the dough you make won't be too cold and will rise well enough?

The thing is, when I take the flour out of the freezer, it seems to take forever for it to come back to room temperature. Even though I'm spooning out the amount I need and just trying to let that smaller amount thaw.

I tried microwaving the flour, but the resulting dough made out of the flour rose a lot more than usual and kind of messed up the bread I made.

What happened was the dough rose so much and was still really wet. More wet than usual. So I had to add what was too much dry flour so I could get a dough I could work with. The flour I added made the bread too bland, e.g., you couldn't taste the salt or sugar in the bread. And the extra flour maybe made the dough dense.

Anyway, anybody have a fast way for bringing frozen flour back to room temperature?

What I may have down wrong with the microwave is just left the flour in there too long, it got too warm, and so the dough rose too much. But I'd like to hear from people who've maybe done this successfully before I spend too much time experimenting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thawing frozen flour

You don't have to thaw it, I use home ground whole wheat directly from the freezer. If you are trying to following the timing from a recipe, you will want your dough to be a certain temperature at the end of kneading ( Desired Dough Temperature DDT). You may want to use warmer water so the DDT is higher - though if you are adding yeast to the water, don't use a water temp that will kill the yeast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here