Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Labeling food in the freezer

Posted by EllenS (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 02 at 3:15

What can I use to label frozen foods with? Can I use the same thing on Ziploc bags and on re-usable containers? Thanks for any help with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Labeling food in the freezer

We use permanant magic marker on the container or bag, sometimes we write on masking tape and stick it on if we are doing lots of the same thing. At Christmas I saw a food labeller at Wallmart but it was $50 CDN. It did labels for all sorts of foods, expiry and packaging dates too.

o

I agree with masking tape! Heidi S~

o

For my plastic containers with dark coloured lids, I use a "china marker". It looks like a pencil but is more like a thin crayon wrapped with paper strips. You don't sharpen it, you just peel the paper off like a ribbon to expose more of the tip.

It stays well, and whatever doesn't wash off in the dishwasher can be rubbed off with your finger.

I use a white/yellow one for the dark lids, and a black/blue/red one to write on the white or clear sides of the container.

If I am using baggies I have been known to write the contents and date on pieces of masking tape, and stick that to the bags when they were filled. Just pull off the tape before heating/defrosting. I have also used an eye-liner pencil (in a colour that did not suit my eyes LOL) but they smudge easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Once-a-Week Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here