Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint Shaver Pro Question

Posted by kellerbend (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 22:24

Has anyone had experience with paint shaver pro, the exterior paint removal tool that's advertised in OHJ and This Old House? I have purchased a 110 yr old clapboard house that has multiple layers of old paint that needs to be removed. I've read positive reviews of it but would like some additional opinions. I am concerned that it may cut into the clap board too much. If you have any opinions I'd appreciate them. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint Shaver Pro Question

I have one that's a few years old. I haven't used the blades much, only the sanding discs. I have 2 inch clapboard siding from 1924, with rounded bottom edges.

You have to be really careful the older the wood is, because it eats into it really fast, and the older the wood is, the more fragile. The paint shaver also doesn't do well with the rounded edges, it tends to "sharpen" them. So I'm trying to shave the flat parts, and use the Silent Paint Remover on the rounded parts. It's definitely not a fast process to take off the lead-based paint (my goal)!

Carla in Sac

o
RE: Paint Shaver Pro Question

I bought one almost 15 years ago to use on my 1858 home. My house has white cedar shingles with a 12 1/2 inch exposure, so it was tricky. I renailed every shingle and then proceed to shave them. Carla is correct in saying that you need to be careful, but I found with practice that I could get it to work pretty well. You can adjust the depth of the cut so that you're actually taking off more paint and less wood. This machine would definitely work better on clapboard than shingles due to the relative straightness of calpboard as compared to shingles. Also, I purchased the sander that they sell as well, which was a mistake. It's basically a small electric grinder fitted with a sanding disc. I found it very difficult to sand and not leave marks in the wood. I purchased a Porter-Cable orbital sander, hooked it up to my shopvac, and it works exceptionally well. Hope this helps.

Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here