Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your dining room built ins

Posted by pence (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 21:01

We recently redid part of our 1860 victorian italianate and had to tear down the dining room fire place with flanking bookshleves. I'd now like to replace that area with a built in of some sort--maybe a serving hutch and bookshleves, anything that would look like it's been there for 150 years. I've scoured the internet and our local library for ideas but I thought you all might be a good source for "real live" pictures. Got any??? thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your dining room built ins

pence
Love hearing when people are trying to maintain the orig character of a lovely old home -
here's pic of our DR w/built in corner cab -
House was built in 1930
Photobucket
Good luck

o

thanks jvjtvr--that is even the kind of wallpaper that I've been looking at! It's beautiful

o

Here is ours. 1890 Bungalow. It has the original wooden knob and the bead board inside. Some one added lights. I had the interior shelves changed to glass. If you would like another pic close up let me know. c

Built in china cab and bench in front of windows

o

trial love the DR & built in - someday I'll have my wooden shelves changed to glass - I did have the electrician put a light in the top - what a nice difference

Pence - Funny you say that about the WP - dear friend of mine who is int decorater rec WP to me, this particular one - I fought tooth n nail - No I don't do WP - so glad she won out. I feel like this room is the most period correct in our home. The WP is Thiabut which has lovely selections - I posted a link below - this is fr. Promenade collection

GL

Here is a link that might be useful: Thiabut wallcoverings

o

Here's the built in breakfront in our 1910 Craftsman. When we walked in and saw it, I said to my husband "This is the house I want to buy!"

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/armandsgrandmother/2657VanBuren12.jpg[/IMG]

o
RE: Show me dining room built ins

I'm trying to learn how to post directly from Photobucket. Not too easy when you're as technically challenged as I am. I finally did it but it was rejected here because I had already posted, and can't seem to delete anything. Let's try again!

Breakfront

o

jcin los angeles--your leaded glass is gorgeous. How fortunate you are.

Here's our built-in from our 1912 Craftsman in Portland, Oregon. It's made from douglas fir and when we bought the house in 2010 it was painted white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room After

o

Dying of curiousity; why did you have to remove the original fp and surround? I'm in a similar situation; my firebox is cracked and there was a repro colonial mantel leaning against the wall (this is a victorian) when we bought the house. I found the original soapstone mantel in the basement--painted 60's avocado green over the original faux granite finish! Yikes! And the original encaustic tiles for the surround had been pried off and parked in a cabinet in the laundry room. It's going to be a project to get that fireplace restored and safely working again, but I have hope. I'm thinking that if you decided to remove the original, there must have been a good story. So...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here